Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Heroditas wrote: »
    Just back from spending two extremely frustrating weeks in Florida trying to use it on my wife's Desire HD and my own Galaxy S.
    It continually failed to pick up a satellite signal or spent long periods of time "determining position". On more than one occasion, it dropped the signal just as we were badly stuck for directions.
    We drove one day from Naples to Orlando and it only picked up a signal in the last 20 miles of a 3hr 15min drive!! Luckily we can read maps.
    Seemed to be the same on both phones.
    Not a bad app considering the price but not something you would want to rely heavily on in my own personal opinion.

Determining gps position would be nothing to do with copilot, it's an android function. Have you tried it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Determining gps position would be nothing to do with copilot, it's an android function. Have you tried it here?

I've used the bog-standard GPS/Google Maps/Navigator app on my own Galaxy S here on numerous occasions and never had any problems with it determining my position.
    Is there a possibility that Florida is a GPS black-spot? Sounds stupid but when it is determining position you can look at the various satellite signal strengths. On quite a few occasions, there was only a weak signal from one satellite ..... other times, there was a signal available from 7 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

lewis wrote: »
    Not if you do it right.

This reminds me of my sister and she was not really into there whole internet thing, did`nt really know how it all work and all, then when her daughter wanted a laptop, at first it was no this no that, its been a few months now and both of her daughters 11 & 14 have Facebook pages and Bebo pages, practically unmonitored and after all the, no they can`t put there picture up there and you can`t put your real age, blah blah,she totally gave up on it all.

That`s why there`s such things as passwords, locks and restrictions, to keep kids safe and when parents give into that, well then you might as well let them come and go when ever they want to. There`s nothing wrong with some tough parenting.

I'd agree with that.

I just don't think you can give a kid a phone and expect to lock it down. If you want control over their internet time you need to supervise them. If you don't want to supervise them then they will find a way to get on to whatever site they want.

It's pretty tough on a kid/teen to ban them from facebook/bebo/msn/skype if that's how their friends communicate. Banning the internet is like grounding them and excludes them from their circle of friends.

We've all found ways to get around site blocks in school/college/work over the years, kids will too.

Although, saying that, vodafone UK have content filtering on all mobile internet data by default. I have a UK account for work travel and can't even access websites about home-brewing. Maybe one of the Irish operators offer this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'd agree with that.

I just don't think you can give a kid a phone and expect to lock it down. If you want control over their internet time you need to supervise them. If you don't want to supervise them then they will find a way to get on to whatever site they want.

It's pretty tough on a kid/teen to ban them from facebook/bebo/msn/skype if that's how their friends communicate. Banning the internet is like grounding them and excludes them from their circle of friends.

We've all found ways to get around site blocks in school/college/work over the years, kids will too.

Although, saying that, vodafone UK have content filtering on all mobile internet data by default. I have a UK account for work travel and can't even access websites about home-brewing. Maybe one of the Irish operators offer this?

Well there`s plenty of ways to keep them monitored, anti-virus/OS itself etc..
    I think most parents just slip slowly over time and what they were trying to prevent in the first place is just common place...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

New to android, so can anyone recommend me an app like eirtext on iphone, that allows you send texts using your webtext straight from the app? cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

New to android, so can anyone recommend me an app like eirtext on iphone, that allows you send texts using your webtext straight from the app? cheers
    Cabbage.

Its in the market

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just discovered SoundHound. I've heard of Shazam but this is free and does the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Cabbage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Hmm, weird! I meant this anyway: SoundHound

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Any suggestions on an app that will allow me to edit and transfer podcasts? I know there are some that aloow you to listen through the web, but that would use up too much of my allowance.

Also, besides a rather boring vegetable, what the hell is cabbage?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Cabbage let you use your carries free web texts so you don't have to pay for the cost of a standard text. you must connect to the internet to use the app but the amount of data it uses is minimal therefore cheaper than standard texts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Does anyone know if there are any games on android like Say What You See on iPhone.

Played it on iPhone and thought it was a great game.

Searched the market and came up with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'd agree with that.

I know 3 have content filtering over their 3G network as I've been stopped by it on a few occasions. When on wifi though, 3's filtering service becomes obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭phog

Is there an app that will allow me write notes for myself and store them? I want to keep a few work passwords that change every 30 days or so and would like to store them on my phone.

phog wrote: »
    Is there an app that will allow me write notes for myself and store them? I want to keep a few work passwords that change every 30 days or so and would like to store them on my phone.

Any notepad app, like Colour Note, AK Notepad...all good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Keepassdroid hould be used for passwords. Compatible with the windows version too.

I use Catch fot jotting notes. Synchs to the net and you can password protect it.

Drag racing is a cool game and it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Anybody know of an app similar to Who's Here on the iphone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭phog

Keepassdroid hould be used for passwords. Compatible with the windows version too.

I use Catch fot jotting notes. Synchs to the net and you can password protect it.

For a noob like me how do I use keepassdroid? I downloaded it but have no idea of what to do next. :o

All help much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

MX Home is a new launcher, I tried it for a change from launcher pro. Its great. It gives loads of options to customise the app drawer.

Review and pics here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

For a noob like me how do I use keepassdroid? I downloaded it but have no idea of what to do next. :o

All help much appreciated.

Ah, it's a bit complicated so.

The way I use it is

1: Install Keepass to your PC and Keepassdroid to your phone.

2: Install Dropbox to your PC and Phone.

3: Set up a Keepass file on your PC and save it to your Dropbox folder.

That way you can set up all of your passwords using the PC app and access this file on your phone using Keepassdroid. Whenever you update a password on your PC it'll save to your Dropbox folder which is accessible on your phone. So you always have your passwords available to you.

The Keepass file is encrypted so it's safe enough on Dropbox. You can protect it with a password and with an optional keyfile. As long as you don't store the keyfile on Dropbox if any hacker ever got your password file from Dropbox they couldn't just brute force attack your Keepass DB as they need the password & the keyfile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm liking quickpic as an alternative to the default gallery app.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder

much faster and a lot easier to see what's what, esp. if you have a lot of folders.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm liking quickpic as an alternative to the default gallery app.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder

much faster and a lot easier to see what's what, esp. if you have a lot of folders.

Hell to the yeah, I`ll second that, Gallery 3D is a load of willies, Quickpic, fast,smooth.

lewis wrote: »
    Hell to the yeah, I`ll second that, Gallery 3D is a load of willies, Quickpic, fast,smooth.
    Load of willies hahaha
    gonna try this now

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

20 mins ago, the devs of my favourite keyboard have released a beta version of the new SwiftKey app (called SwiftKey X). As well as analysing your SMS messages, it can analyse messages in the cloud (facebook, twitter, gmail etc.) to get a better understanding of your language.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey.phone.trial

Really superb keyboard - I've been using it for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Mr E wrote: »
    20 mins ago, the devs of my favourite keyboard have released a beta version of the new SwiftKey app (called SwiftKey X). As well as analysing your SMS messages, it can analyse messages in the cloud (facebook, twitter, gmail etc.) to get a better understanding of your language.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey.phone.trial

Really superb keyboard - I've been using it for months now.
    Just downloaded there now very very good keyboard on the new version:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Just tried it there. It is fantastic. I have Swiftkey Full Version but this seems to make better predictions based on twitter/facebook. I hope that I won't be expected to pay for this when the beta ends and it is incorporated into a Swiftkey update.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Hi folks,
    any suggestions for a VNC-like app which would allow me to control my phone from my PC via the USB cable (i.e. I would like whatever is on my phone screen to be copied in a window on the PC and also to be able to control the phone with the mouse).

Preferably it would be free or very cheap with a free trial. My phone is a SE Experia x10i, android v2.1 and it isn't rooted.

Cheers,
    rcdk1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement