Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Just been released, very slick browser - http://get.skyfire.com/dl_android.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭New.White.Socks

madmoe wrote: »
    Just been released, very slick browser - http://get.skyfire.com/dl_android.php

Just heard about that... Is it worth downloading? I find the reg browser pretty good, and I've got opera as well but that sometimes doesn't render pages properly.

I have it and like it a lot. Very fast and renders very well.

U know a way to set it or say Opera as default browser? Say when u click link from e-mail etc??

There's an app you can get to set opera as your default called opera bridge, but not sure about others.

Figured it out. When you click link form e-mail or Google Talk it asks you which one to choose ;-) U can set Default there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know a good app for taking small notes?

'Notes' is simple and works perfectly well

I've stopped using it in favour of MyTasks though which has a little more functionality if you want to set reminders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

click plus sign on home, widgets, get more htc widgets, notes (just found that more widgets link myself today)

There are loads of notes widgets on the market too if you'd prefer a widget to regular app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Inquitus wrote: »
    I am using Shapewriter, give that a whirl, same idea.

I tried this, really liked it too, but my pinch zoom wouldn't work with it installed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

when downloading some of these apps on my phone the warnings make me worry.... its my first smart phone and if i seen the stuff that some of these access as a warning message on my PC id be very worried !!:eek:

Just a tip for anyone using handcent. If your receiving 2 notifications everytime you get a text you need to turn off notifications in the stock HTC messaging program.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Whats the best weather ap for ireland also whats best stock market ap
    Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The weather channel one gives pretty detailed forecasts.

I use the pre-installed finance app for my stocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    when downloading some of these apps on my phone the warnings make me worry.... its my first smart phone and if i seen the stuff that some of these access as a warning message on my PC id be very worried !!:eek:

I wouldnt worry too much....Most of the warnings are just to let you know, For example:

The weather needs to access the interent to get the forecast and the location info to display weather info for you current location
    Handcent needs to access the user information to get your contacts, your phone to display the messages, and the network to send messages

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

locale for $10 is pretty nifty, I am crap at changing my settings for wifi, silent ring etc. This lets you set up your profile based on conditions eg.

Wifi on at home, off when not at home.

Silent ring on at work, normal ring elsewhere.

Wifi off at 1am, on at 8am

you get the idea, for me its worth 10 bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Heres a few app's/ widgits im really liking.
    2G-3G on/off
    PapiJump (addicting game)
    Toss it (fun game)
    Video Box (download video's from youtube)
    SMS autoreply

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I cant find copilotlive on the market and flixter whats the story with that
    Thx

I cant find copilotlive on the market and flixter whats the story with that
    Thx

CoPilot is a paid app so you wont find it on the Irish Android market

However it can (ninja:cool:) Acquired...but we're probably not alllowed discuss that here are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

neacy69 wrote: »
    CoPilot is a paid app so you wont find it on the Irish Android market

However it can (ninja:cool:) Acquired...but we're probably not alllowed discuss that here are we?
    Depends on what way you're talking about. If you're talking about rooting the phone and installing the MarketEnabler app to allow you to access paid apps, or using a UK/US sim and downloading paid apps over WiFi, that's fine, nothing illegal about that.

Any methods which allow you to escape paying for the app, not so much

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Just curious lads, of the people that have the Nexus 1 on here how many have rooted? How has it been since? Is the battery much better etc? I am really thinking about doing it....kinda holding out fro Froyo thought first to see what it will be like!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

madmoe wrote: »
    Just curious lads, of the people that have the Nexus 1 on here how many have rooted? How has it been since? Is the battery much better etc? I am really thinking about doing it....kinda holding out fro Froyo thought first to see what it will be like!

Cheers,
    M

I'm the same, if Froyo brings what it is rumoured to bring I will be happy. As many of the reasons for rooting for me would be removed - namely the trackball notifcations!:p

until then I will hold off on rooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

is it possible to get google earth on a desire or legend?

is it possible to get google earth on a desire or legend?

Yep I have it installed on my desire, in fact I think it may have come pre-installed but maybe I'm thinking of Google Maps?
    Anyway a quick google of 'Google Earth Android' and the very first result is this

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

Yep I have it installed on my desire, in fact I think it may have come pre-installed but maybe I'm thinking of Google Maps?
    Anyway a quick google of 'Google Earth Android' and the very first result is this

tried that. just got "THE REQUESTED ITEM COULD NOT BE FOUND"

tried that. just got "THE REQUESTED ITEM COULD NOT BE FOUND"

Strange, I presumed you tried the market as well?
    Anyway you should try one of the links on this thread over at XDA. As somebody mentioned there though why would you want google earth when you can just turn on satellite view in google maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Sweet Dreams

Free: turns off calls, messages, wi-fi, bluetooth etc at night, turns back on in the morning.

For work:
    Touchdown - $19.99 but better than existing exchange client as it allows me more options to create appointments on the phone, including marking them private.

AutoConference - free/paid - turns speaker on when phone is placed flat.

Auto Task (calendar commander) -free/paid - reads your calendar and mutes/vibrates your phone when it sees keyword like meeting.

Inquitus wrote: »
    locale for $10 is pretty nifty, I am crap at changing my settings for wifi, silent ring etc. This lets you set up your profile based on conditions eg.

Wifi on at home, off when not at home.

Silent ring on at work, normal ring elsewhere.

Wifi off at 1am, on at 8am

you get the idea, for me its worth 10 bucks.

I like the idea of Locale but surely having the GPS on all the time drains the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Keith186

I presumed it would be using Google location services rather than GPS.
    Does anyone know if that works with mobile internet off by using triangulation methods or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

28064212 wrote: »
    Depends on what way you're talking about. If using a UK/US sim and downloading paid apps over WiFi,

Any ideas where we can get our hands on one of these??
    Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement