Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 92 - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭herewegoagain

Fozzy wrote: »
    Nogueira weighed in at what I think is his heaviest weight ever. It doesn't matter though because he's facing Mir :pac: Nogueira will outlast him if it goes to the later rounds. He's made a career of doing that, while Mir is known for the opposite

Nogueira's better on the feet and much better on the ground. The only reason that Frank is in this fight is because he caught a very inexperienced fighter with a submission. If it weren't for that then he'd be way back in the pecking order for a title shot

I'm not usually this black and white about a fight result because I know anything can happen. But this is Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Frank Mir. Nogueira's winning

Oh ya good man yourself..Cocky person thinks he knows it all..So, so wrong.

I can't remember being more disheartened by an event before. I'm not saying the fights were bad. But when you consider the losses of Silva and Nog, combined with those of Randy and Chuck in recent months, last night marked the end of a era for me. Xtreme Couture versus Jacksons just doesn't pique my interest in the same way that BTT vs Chute Boxe or Team Quest vs Ruas Vale Tudo used to.

“He’s a nice guy, but he’s not a referee,”

Dana White on Steve Mazagatti.

Couldn't agree more, at least on the second bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

The three main event fights were fantastic. Upsets always make the card exciting especially when they're as upsetting as Mir beating the crap out of Nog, I don't think anyone saw that coming. The uppercuts he threw were awesome. I can't wait to see him submit Lesnar again. I Felt bad for Forrest but I think Rashad is the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

As hard as I may try, I'll never come close to Frank Mir on the cockiness scale :pac:

The Nogueira who fought Mir was not the same man who was the second best heavyweight in the world. Mir didn't do anything amazing at all in his fighting, he looked the same as always. But Nogueira looked nothing the same as before though

It's sad really. Same can be said for Wanderlei in a way but I still think that he's got something left. He's not the same fighter anymore though. And they're both in their early thirties

Rampage has said that he wants Forrest before a title shot. I don't think that the UFC will give him that though. If they made Rampage vs Forrest then that would mean that the winner of Machida/Silva would more than likely fight for the title. Machida or Silva vs Rashad is a match where none of the possible champions is a draw. I think that they'll give Rampage the title fight just so they still have the chance of having a guy who can draw as champion

Liddell should be fighting in March. He obviously wanted Wanderlei but that's unlikely now. Apparently Shogun is an option, but he'd have only seven weeks between fights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

"Mir didn't do anything amazing at all in his fighting, he looked the same as always."

I have to completely disagree with you there Fozzy..Thats the crispest standup Mir has ever displayed inside the octagon, also its the first time we've seen him go more than five minutes and not look like hes about to suffer an asthma attack! Granted the Nog that showed up didnt look like even 30% of the fighter that beat barnett 2 years ago, but mir still put together some sweet combos and executed a perfect gameplan.

"It's sad really. Same can be said for Wanderlei in a way but I still think that he's got something left."

Wand might still have something left physically but with 4 out of his last 5 fights being losses and 3 of those him being knocked out cold, i think its time he should hang up the gloves. I love watching him fight but he's probably risking serious injury if he continues. The same goes for nog, he looked like a punchdrunk ali in the berbick fight last nite.

Time for them both to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Valmont wrote: »
    The three main event fights were fantastic. Upsets always make the card exciting especially when they're as upsetting as Mir beating the crap out of Nog, I don't think anyone saw that coming. The uppercuts he threw were awesome. I can't wait to see him submit Lesnar again. I Felt bad for Forrest but I think Rashad is the real deal.

Ahhm....hello!:D

As hard as I may try, I'll never come close to Frank Mir on the cockiness scale :pac:

Mir was very, very, humble after winning the match.
    I thought that he reacted briliantly, and like a true fighter.
    The Nogueira who fought Mir was not the same man who was the second best heavyweight in the world. Mir didn't do anything amazing at all in his fighting, he looked the same as always. But Nogueira looked nothing the same as before though

And you make this bassed on 7 mins of fighting?
    Nog came out, and was taken out of his game plan by Mir, who fought the fight of his life.
    I love how everyone is able to write off the whole carrer of the guy who's balls they were licking two days ago, after one loss.
    FFS!
    Mir faught the perfect fight, the one that I and a few others said he would fight, and it was even more effective than everyone thought.
    Nog hasn't lost it, he was beaten by the better fighter on the night.

Deal with it.
    It's sad really. Same can be said for Wanderlei in a way but I still think that he's got something left. He's not the same fighter anymore though. And they're both in their early thirties

You see that makes no sense at all.
    Before Saturday, Nog had won 7 of his last 8, the only loss being a split decision to Barnet, which he instantly avenged.
    The guy had only lost to three people ever. Barnet, Hendo, and possibly the greatest heavyweight of all time Fedor, and had never been stopped.
    But now, he looses to a former champion, and his career is over!:rolleyes:
    While Silva, who's now lost 4 of his last 5, 3 of them by vicious KO, with his only victory against Jardine, still has something left.

Stop trying to justify the fact that you were wrong by writting off Nog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I am thinking Wandi will move to MW, hes too smalll to play around with the big boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

dunkamania wrote: »
    I am thinking Wandi will move to MW, hes too smalll to play around with the big boys.

He did look small and weighed in at 203, i cant see him getting down to 185.

What about the three strikes while Wand was clearly out cold, i know the referee was very slow but even when he got there Rampage hit an unconcious Wand once or twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Killme00 wrote: »
    What about the three strikes while Wand was clearly out cold, i know the referee was very slow but even when he got there Rampage hit an unconcious Wand once or twice.

He had it coming.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Only one of my 3 picks also won, the same one Killme00 picked, won 80euro on that fight.
    My bets were smaller, but I went 4 for 4 and picked up a tidy 55euro. Thanks go to Mir, Rashad, Rampage & Hardonck. Night of upsets? Maybe for some... *wanders off feeling very very smug*

Lads the next post i see that has a go personally at a poster in here gets a ban. End of.

Every single event sees people make predictions that come back to haunt them. That's pretty much half the fun of posting here. Yea if you feel so inclined to drag up posts for a "i was right you were wrong" type e-hump of yourself then fine, but anything bordering into "I was right and you're a cocky a-hole for disagreeing with me" is not so fine. Anything personal is not allowed and will lead to a ban. No warnings, it's in the charter.

is that you callaway92...................... No more of that or I'll ban both of your accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Mir was very, very, humble after winning the match.
    I thought that he reacted briliantly, and like a true fighter.

Was actually at this in Vegas. Atmosphere was electric. Wouldn't say Mir was humble but the way he made a beeline straight for where Lesnar was sitting makes me extremely excited for the rematch. Both Silva and Nogueira looked very sluggish.

Was actually at this in Vegas. Atmosphere was electric. Wouldn't say Mir was humble but the way he made a beeline straight for where Lesnar was sitting makes me extremely excited for the rematch. Both Silva and Nogueira looked very sluggish.

If I wasn't on my way over to Vegas for GSP vs BJ Penn 2, I'd have loved to been at that card last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Wouldn't say Mir was humble but the way he made a beeline straight for where Lesnar was sitting makes me extremely excited for the rematch.

What you probably didn't hear was Mir yelling "You have my belt!". I loved how Brock just smirked it off. Cos Mir isn't going to get into Brock's head that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    What you probably didn't hear was Mir yelling "You have my belt!". I loved how Brock just smirked it off. Cos Mir isn't going to get into Brock's head that way.

No I never heard that but I'm salivating for the rematch.

ShawnRaven wrote: »

Yes, but that after he came out and praised Nog to the high heaven.
    He said that he was so proud and happy to have beaten one of the legends of the sport, and how amazing a fighter Nog is.
    How he had never been so scared coming into a fight, and how even he didn't think he would win.

Then straight away, he switched back into his fighter persona, and told Lesnar that he'd break his leg this time!:P

Lesnar will knock him out though.
    I'd love to see Mir win, but Lesnar will keep it standing, and batter him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Lesnar will knock him out though.
    I'd love to see Mir win, but Lesnar will keep it standing, and batter him.

Surely on the basis of his last performance, Mir would have the advantage standing.

In his interview, Lesnar actually came across as quite a nice guy. I dont know why that suprises me, it just did.

The question for me is, who is next for Rashad Evans? Surely Chuck would love another pop (and that would fill seats) or even Rampage (would also fill seats). However because its all about PPV, could be see Anderson Silva vs Rashad Evans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Surely on the basis of his last performance, Mir would have the advantage standing.

In his interview, Lesnar actually came across as quite a nice guy. I dont know why that suprises me, it just did.

I don't know why it did Lesnar is very humble, isn't flashy, doesn't talk ****, works his ass off and is a general all round nice guy.

I don't get why he is so hated and people say he is undeserving of the HW belt I mean did he or not beat Couture? How is that not deserving? So what if people think he should've fought more people first the fact is he beat Couture anyway so he was clearly ready. Hes only a year in and hes HW champion he should be respected for that simply amazing accomplishment I think people are just pissed because Lesnar has become HW champion so quickly and with such relative ease.

Because knocking out Randy Couture isn't enough to lose the "fake pro wrestler" stigma in the eyes of the ignorant. It's pretty pathetic to be honest.

Not really, had Brock had a better grasp of the rules on his first UFC match, the result would have probably been very different. Brock is also a very fast learner as discovered this year. His defense was piss poor against Mir earlier this year, do you honestly think he won't learn from that?

And Mir didn't exactly win that fight easily, he still ended up looking like mincemeat afterwards.

From interviews in his pre and post WWE days, he actually comes off as quite shy. But when you're his height and build, you really don't need to talk a load of crap to get listened to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hallstatt

I had the plesure to meet mr.shamrock many years ago in san fran and get an autograph.One of the biggest baddest motherf***ers I have ever stood next too.I dont watch much ufc anymore.I dont even know if he still fights be take it from me he's one big motherf***er

hallstatt wrote: »
    I had the plesure to meet mr.shamrock many years ago in san fran and get an autograph.One of the biggest baddest motherf***ers I have ever stood next too.I dont watch much ufc anymore.I dont even know if he still fights be take it from me he's one big motherf***er

I'm not too sure as I am new to the sport but didn't Shamrock retire after losing to Tito Oritz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

he is not in the UFC anymore (ken Shamrock) but is still fighting and is on a 5 fight losing streak, his brother Frank is also still fighting and likewise is not in the UFC either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

There is more to MMA than the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

"Surely on the basis of his last performance, Mir would have the advantage standing."

Not necessarily, Brock knocked down Mir in their first fight, as well as flooring Herring and Couture in their bouts. He has a huge reach advantage over Mir, as well as that 1 punch knockout power. Mir might be more technically sound at this point in his career, but Brock is showing huge improvements fight to fight.

I don’t think Mir will necessarily have the advantage on the ground either. Brock will have had over a year to work on his submission defense by the time they meet. Also with the evolution off mma, more and more wrestlers in the higher weight classes are simply negating submissions with their top control, strength and gnp. Ufc 92 didn’t have one submission on the card and Rashad Evans, the newly crowned LHW Champ has never even attempted a submission in his ufc career.

Its still a difficult prospect to pick a winner between these two though.. You have to wonder how much of Mir’s great looking performance the other night was down to a punch-drunk and past his prime Nog and also whether Brock has the sub defense, experience, heart and chin to stay champion.

We'll find out soon enough I suppose..

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hallstatt

There is more to MMA than the UFC.

Yes well said

• Advertisement

"Surely on the basis of his last performance, Mir would have the advantage standing."

Not necessarily, Brock knocked down Mir in their first fight, as well as flooring Herring and Couture in their bouts. He has a huge reach advantage over Mir, as well as that 1 punch knockout power. Mir might be more technically sound at this point in his career, but Brock is showing huge improvements fight to fight.

I don’t think Mir will necessarily have the advantage on the ground either. Brock will have had over a year to work on his submission defense by the time they meet. Also with the evolution off mma, more and more wrestlers in the higher weight classes are simply negating submissions with their top control, strength and gnp. Ufc 92 didn’t have one submission on the card and Rashad Evans, the newly crowned LHW Champ has never even attempted a submission in his ufc career.

Its still a difficult prospect to pick a winner between these two though.. You have to wonder how much of Mir’s great looking performance the other night was down to a punch-drunk and past his prime Nog and also whether Brock has the sub defense, experience, heart and chin to stay champion.

We'll find out soon enough I suppose..

Another thing is Lesnar looked really ready to gas in the Couture fight I remember he was holding Couture against the cage and he looked like he was about to pass out I remember the commentaters kept mentioning how hard it is for Lesnar to be carrying such weight around the ring meanwhile Mir who was renowned for gassing seemed to not even break a sweat the entire fight against Nog

Advertisement