Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrade options. iD, 48 months - pitfalls? Other options?

• 21-08-2015 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My wife uses a smartphone. At present she is on an old O2 (now Three) talk plan with a 250MB addon, does not use mobile Internet a lot, but her text needs are increasing and we really need to change the plan. And the phone, too, the old one is having problems after a broken screen, and the new one is likely to be the Lumia 640, it has 4G. Which I think we'll get unlocked/sim free so we can go for any operator.

I would like to get her on Skype calls (for international and Skype to Skype) so she will need more Internet too. And texts. And calls!

I am looking at the following options:

- iD, the new guys on the block. Everything she could ever want for 30 Euro a month. But do we have to spend that much? And could she run into teething problems, seeing they are so new? Also - do they let her see how many minutes and texts she used, so that perhaps she could eventually go lower?

- 48 months. 20 Euro a month and enough stuff on it. I hear they do not allow 4G, despite being on the Three network which does have 4G where we are. She might live with that for saving 10 Euro a month; 3G should be enough for Skype voice anyway. But are there any other pitfalls?

- EDIT: Tesco Mobile, an option discovered after the post was written. Top up 20 Euro a month and spend them on the unlimited text add on and the 5 GB data odd on; as the top up is over 15 Euro it triggers unlimited calls. Seems like a nice safe option and we can also use Tesco Club Card vouchers. But no 4G too, right? Seems to beat 48 months?

All options use the Three network which is fine with us - we have good coverage on our existing O2, now Three, phones. A third option is going Vodafone, but then we get less or pay more; the best plan for 30 Euro/mo is prepay with RED addon, but one has to re-enable that manually every time. There is also a SIM only bill pay plan on Meteor comparable to the iD one (32 Euro/month when bought online) but I'm not sure about coverage with them.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, Tesco Mobile is probably your best option as you have now discovered. Specially if you use Tesco for shopping or use a Tesco credit card, as the clubcard points make it incredible value for money. I basically end up getting roughly every second month free!

Though one thing to consider is do you need 5GB? You might get away with just 1GB for €15 if she has access to wifi a lot. You could try 1GB the first month and increase it next month if it isn't enough.

3G with Tesco is very good and really little advantage to having 4G. It should be fine for Skype.

The great thing about Tesco is it is a pay as you go. So you can leave at any time if you find you have problems. Really no harm in trying it out. You are also correct that the best idea is to go SIM free for the new phone, rather then through a carrier. Gives you far more flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MichaelR

We already have the Lumia 640 - apparently we grabbed the last one in Argos around this part of the country. It's SIM free and it has auto-upload of photos, very useful in our situation.

Because of auto-upload, kids liking to browse in the car, and the occasional video Skype, we'll probably start with 5 GB, but if (according to the phone) she actually uses less than 1 we can always change that the next month - I did double-check and they have easy opt-out on the bundles.

So Tesco it is - thanks for the comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

MichaelR wrote: »
    We already have the Lumia 640 - apparently we grabbed the last one in Argos around this part of the country. It's SIM free and it has auto-upload of photos, very useful in our situation.

Because of auto-upload, kids liking to browse in the car, and the occasional video Skype, we'll probably start with 5 GB, but if (according to the phone) she actually uses less than 1 we can always change that the next month - I did double-check and they have easy opt-out on the bundles.

So Tesco it is - thanks for the comment!

You could always set the pictures to upload on wifi only. That way it won't eat through your mobile data if you have use of free wifi at work/home.

Advertisement