Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new build assistance

Options
  • 11-07-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭

I am looking to refit my Antec 900 case with a new board, etc etc

I want to keep the case, cos I like it - not sure if I can continue to keep the Corsair 600w PSU for what I want - and not sure if its worth still using my nVidia GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SuperClocked Edition GPU card .... I've a 500GB HDD I'd like to keep as an 'off' storage drive

I want to try build a new gaming rig that I can stream, do video & play games in high res (i.e. WoW on ultra, Skyrim at best possible, SWTOR in full)

Have no idea where to start - all i know is I do want 2 SSD's (one for OS, another for running games from), & a decent main storage drive, I'm prob gonna need a ton of RAM - and I'd like to be able to get what I need for around the 500-700 euro max mark (prob asking alot ..... )

I COULD go to 1K, but pretty sure my missus might then in fact murder me LOL

any help gratefully appreciated guys!!

1. What is your budget? €500-700

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (WoW/SWTOR/Skyrim/Deux Ex/Rift/EVE Online/Diablo3 - would like to play on best graphics settings available to games), video editing, streaming games,

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? nope

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Antec 900 case, Corsair 600w PSU, DVD drive, 500GB HDD

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. --

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080, wont be upgrading. Only one monitor

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? nope

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? not sure as of yet

8. How can you pay? Anyway really

9. When are you purchasing? In the next 7-10 days

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? May do - am near Maynooth

- Ven0m

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Two SSDs? Why not one slightly larger one? How much space do you actually need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Monotype wrote: »
    Two SSDs? Why not one slightly larger one? How much space do you actually need?

Figured I could get a decent ish SSD for the OS and another to run the games from - was a recommendation someone made to me - I know I need a regular 1tb sata for my media files etc

Games I generally have in rotation are WoW, rift, swtor, eve, skyrim, deus ex, Diablo 3, sc2, guild wars 2, tera, secret world, call of duty, dcuo - could be anywhere between 300-400gb of games lol (I tend to have to install/review alot of games & partake in betas etc)

Anyone who can help me build a spec that'd be great, as I'd like to try order parts ASAP so I can try get it built ..... :D:D:D:D

- ven0m

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=2053&sortby=priceAsc

Read the reviews, get which is adequate (get 8GB RAM instead of 4). Then buy SSDs separate.

From what I heard, SWTOR is very hard on CPU so you'll need a strong system there if you want full settings:

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€212.12
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€89.75
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€78.33
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 Coolstream Edition, 2GB GDDR5|€216.92
    8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9|€45.89
    Thermalright True Spirit 120|€21.97
    Shipping|€18.99
    Samsung 830 128GB @ dabs.ie|€100.79
    Total|€784.76

Kind of a bit high as the CPU and graphics card are expensive.

The hard drive only has a one year warranty, so if that's an issue, look at the Hitachi or Western Digital drives which are two years.

What you could do to save money is to scale the CPU back to a 2500K which would save about 30 euros. A separate CPU cooler isn't really necessary so it's something that you buy later and stick with Intel's not so great one.
    You could stick with your 260 for now and upgrade later? Not such a great card now if you want higher settings but nVidia will be releasing a 660 sometime in the future... could be Christmas though.
    Is 128GB enough SSD storage for you?
    You could get an OCZ Petrol 128GB for €70 as well.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Solid-State-Disk/54481/OCZ+Petrol+128GB+SSD+SATA+6Gb's.article
    Now this is quite a shoddy drive in terms of reliability but it would offer fast access times. I wouldn't recommend it in place of the 830 but if you needed additional storage for cheap...

• Advertisement

Cheers Mono - Yeah, SWTOR is a real dog on the CPU - think I'll def heed your advice on the SSD though & stick with the Samsung - 128GB will have to be enough - might be a case that I move games bewteen drives as I want to play them (which I can do with a few of them).

Solarith - thanks for that. Prob going to have to keep looking at intel, as I've heard a few people say now that the intel stuff is just lightyears ahead of anything AMD has (which personally makes me sad as I was always more an AMD fan) - my current rig has an AMD, but it's just not up to scratch for everything I need.

Just now need to get ordering, get it here & "play lego" (this part I am always weary about as my last build the inside of my antec looked like a dogs dinner ..... couldn't figure out how to make it neat ...... cabling never my strong point)

ven0m wrote: »
    Cheers Mono - Yeah, SWTOR is a real dog on the CPU - think I'll def heed your advice on the SSD though & stick with the Samsung - 128GB will have to be enough - might be a case that I move games bewteen drives as I want to play them (which I can do with a few of them).

Solarith - thanks for that. Prob going to have to keep looking at intel, as I've heard a few people say now that the intel stuff is just lightyears ahead of anything AMD has (which personally makes me sad as I was always more an AMD fan) - my current rig has an AMD, but it's just not up to scratch for everything I need.

Just now need to get ordering, get it here & "play lego" (this part I am always weary about as my last build the inside of my antec looked like a dogs dinner ..... couldn't figure out how to make it neat ...... cabling never my strong point)
    My cabling looks like spaghetti too.. On the Antec 900 the most ideal situation is you take the cover off the side that the mobo is attached to, then you'll see it's indented, so instead of going directly, wire each cable down through the holes in the sides of here!

eg:

img0354au5.jpg

Did you have to extend any of those cables?

ven0m wrote: »
    Did you have to extend any of those cables?
    Unfortunately I didn't know at time (grabbed this pic from el Google), but I'd say from my Antec 900 you would have to extend, yeah!

solarith wrote: »
    Unfortunately I didn't know at time (grabbed this pic from el Google), but I'd say from my Antec 900 you would have to extend, yeah!

kek - is there extension kits, or is it you buy the parts you need, then figure out what you need to extend by? Was kind hoping I could do a one day downtme on my rig :pac:

My first "build" was where I transplanted a micro ATX board out of a smaller case (since that machine was pre-built) into the antec so I could add the gpu card, & one or two other PCI cards I had.......

EDIT: just had a look on hardwareversand.de ..... wooooo colored cables (liking the blue/yellow ones alot - wonder if I can use both without it being tacky lol!!) ...... now to try figure out what cables I need ....... so I can do my first ever proper from-the-ground-up self build (any suggestions or help with cable requirements appreciated!)

• Advertisement

order is now placed - so how do I pay for it/proceed? I've never used HWVS before ......

Am guessing I need to banktransfer payment - so what details do I need to give to the bank then, as the language on their email with my order is a little odd to say the least lol =D

If you click on your order when you log in, there should be a PDF or something with the order numbers etc. They usually email this as well. Here's an example of how you would do it with internet banking:
    Instructions on Paying Hardwareversand via AIB Internet Banking.

Advertisement