Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter Charts 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

leahyl wrote: »
    This looks bad - is it bad??

Not at all that looks very promising for cold... A long way out though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

dexter647 wrote: »
    Not at all that looks very promising for cold... A long way out though:)

:D woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

leahyl wrote: »
    This looks bad - is it bad??

Heights rising to the north over greenland is very good, but not a hope it will happen, that high will flatten out over us and bring us back into that mild muck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Heights rising to the north over greenland is very good, but not a hope it will happen, that high will flatten out over us and bring us back into that mild muck

Oh yee of little faith :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Looking at the posts lately your really a glass half empty type of poster , thats a great chart , better than anything else we have been given , even if it doesn't materialize thats the type of chart thats supposed to warm a cold lovers heart in FI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Looking at the posts lately your really a glass half empty type of poster , thats a great chart , better than anything else we have been given , even if it doesn't materialize thats the type of chart thats supposed to warm a cold lovers heart in FI

It is a great chart no arguments there, and if its there in the next few runs then it might raise a few eyebrows, the problem is you have a very strong polar vortex and a very cold stratosphere and other teleconnections that are really against northern blocking at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

baraca wrote: »
    ifsykj.gif

All that cool air up there , I hope some comes down to say hello

183121.png

It is a great chart no arguments there, and if its there in the next few runs then it might raise a few eyebrows, the problem is you have a very strong polar vortex and a very cold stratosphere and other teleconnections that are really against northern blocking at the moment.

That is true , but if that High positioning was to verify it would send some mild air up there to upset the stratosphere and vortex , potentially releasing the colder air towards ourselves and eastern Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I'm afraid the ensembles don't hold out much hope for cold weather for the next two weeks. The 528 stays just a little too far north.

500-1000 thickness

mslpeuanim.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

Su Campu wrote: »
    I'm afraid the ensembles don't hold out much hope for cold weather for the next two weeks. The 528 stays just a little too far north.

500-1000 thickness

mslpeuanim.gif

Means nothing...still early days yet. big drop on temps today, this evening and tonight. A bit bitter out! It's yoyo weather at the moment which is somewhat unusual. At least we have a small break from mild today. The charts cannot be trusted at present:cool: with how things are. Only in time will we know. Right I best go back out and do another snow dance in my nip!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Caff Caff wrote: »
    It's yoyo weather at the moment which is somewhat unusual.

:confused:

I argue that this 'yoyo' weather is very typical for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

183165.png

183166.png

183167.png

:confused:

I argue that this 'yoyo' weather is very typical for the time of year.

I disagree...this is more february weather or later like early march. the humidity is woeful and this mild to a plunging cold is not typical of this time of year...particularly if it continues now we are about to enter meteorological winter

Su Campu wrote: »

500-1000 thickness

mslpeuanim.gif

Is that 528 line not further south now ?

Is this a live image cause it has changed since last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I disagree...this is more february weather or later like early march. the humidity is woeful and this mild to a plunging cold is not typical of this time of year...particularly if it continues now we are about to enter meteorological winter

Average temperature for this time of year is around 7-9c max, 1-2c min. The 'plunging' cold that came in behind the front yesterday was nothing more than average. Late November right through to January is typically the stormiest, most zonal period of the year with mild weather interspersed with cooler spells.

The charts posted above pretty much show this pattern continuing within the reliable time-frame at least.

Start of a downward trend in the NAO ???

183178.png

Latest update going Negative

183195.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Latest update going Negative

183195.png

Both those NAO and AO predictions are a relief to say the least but whats with the discrepancy between current observation and where the forecast are starting from on the AO forecasts?

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Both those NAO and AO predictions are a relief to say the least but whats with the discrepancy between current observation and where the forecast are starting from on the AO forecasts?

Im not sure TBH,

Does anyone know where i could find this type of JET Stream chart for current runs , only seems to be in the archives .

183282.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

• Advertisement

18z is a lovely run..

o2sd2.png

GFS a bit more like the last few ecm runs with that high now. Could it be...... dun dun dun

starting to look a bit more like it now all rite !

183294.png

183294.png

Now that is one fine chart...*spurt*:eek:

Just to help with the building of that ramp..

2rdxje9.png

Pure fantasy but it's nice to see it popping up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

183294.png

*JIZZ*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Now that is one fine chart...*spurt*:eek:
    ff9999 wrote: »
    *JIZZ*

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

MUSEIST wrote: »
    :eek:

couldn't contain myself

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Interesting 0Z Run

183321.png

183322.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

[IMG][/img]PPVO89.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

The above link is not working for me

Advertisement