Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do many people skimboard?

• 02-06-2007 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

wondering if many people skimboard in ireland, a few friends and me have been doing it a good bit recently, i think i prefer it to surfing now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

To me it seems like a flat day kind of thing. Doesn't have the depth that surfing has (not literally). With surfing you have the 20 minute paddle, then the feeling of tranquillity and space (and slight danger) as you wait 200m from the shore followed by the rush of the wave. I'm still gonna buy a skim board this summer though for an excuse to get to the beach on hot flat days.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

is it the same thing as bodyboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

you can skim a bodyboard but no, its not the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGaE3brpdCc

there are loads of great skim videos on th'internet.
    we havent found a beach with great shorebreak to hit but then again we havent looked very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

nice!! how the hell is he being pulled out from the beach?

you run and throw it down as you are running, then jump onto it, the world is your oyster from then on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ash h

I do it a bit. Its good fun but no waves that iv seen in Ireland break that close to the shore.Can you do any tricks theo4130?I can do pop-shuv-its and 360's.

ash h wrote:
    I do it a bit. Its good fun but no waves that iv seen in Ireland break that close to the shore.Can you do any tricks theo4130?I can do pop-shuv-its and 360's.
    yeah, i can do 360's by dragging my hand on the water and do pop shuvits, fire hydrants, ollie from broken waves. trying to learn switch stuff aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

how much are boards goin for lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SideshowBob

I do a little bit but not enough to be any good really. What type of boards are you using? I've only got a plywood type board.

One beach I thought would be good for it is Coumeenole beach on the Western tip of the Dingle Peninsula - I've been there with waves breaking right onto the beach.

i use a wooden skimboard, got it for €25 in wicklow town two years ago, im gonna cut four new ones out of and 8by4 board (9mm i think)
    dont know much about board prices around here. they can be pretty pricey it seems.
    ive never been to coumeenole, only ever been to inch, might get to check a few places out this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

eh you can get cheap ones for €30, decent timber ones for €49 and theres also fibreglass ones that are only €59. if i was getting one myself id go fibreglass, id love to try it but i know id break my leg, i assume best time to try it would be on a high tide.

neon_glows wrote:
    eh you can get cheap ones for €30, decent timber ones for €49 and theres also fibreglass ones that are only €59. if i was getting one myself id go fibreglass, id love to try it but i know id break my leg, i assume best time to try it would be on a high tide.
    it all depends on the beach, no specific tide works best for skimboarding, the prices can go up to around €300 or more. thats crazy money for a skimboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

neon_glows wrote:

u got them out in the shop for that price neon? brother is interested. might head out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

yup, theres plenty to look through and will look after another boardsie :D

I got my skimboard for about €25 i think.That was in a sale a few years ago.Not sure how much they are now though.Mines a wooden bulldog skimbord.As regards what tide to try skimboarding at it dosent really matter.The best days are when the waves arent that big and there not coming straight in really close together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

The bulldog boards (maple wood wouldnt ya know) are going for €65 in the great outdoors (yes yes ripoff but I wanted 1), supposidly surfdock have better boards for cheaper, emphasis on supposidly.

I basically faceplanted myself on Portmarnock beach on Sunday, I now hate skimboarding.....not really but I suck at it, unless your meant to fall over alot...

After going skimboarding a few times you get used to it but you do take a few nasty falls when your learning but once you get the hang of it its great.I still fall a lot so theres nothing to be worried about weetabix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

Thanks ash! I know, I've fallen plenty of times, it was the laugther of the ppl watching me go head first into the sand which was the killer. Portmatnock beach was rammed on Sunday with alot of people who've probably never seen someone skimboard before....they still havent ;)

At the beach where i usually skimboard theres usually only about 10 people just walking so i dont have the problem of people laughing at me...usually they just stand and watch for a few minutes because they have never seen a skimboarder before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I do a little bit but not enough to be any good really. What type of boards are you using? I've only got a plywood type board.

One beach I thought would be good for it is Coumeenole beach on the Western tip of the Dingle Peninsula - I've been there with waves breaking right onto the beach.

I'd say Glenbeigh would be decent, down a bit further south, or St. Finian's Bay which is near Bray Head (Valentia Island) - but it's a Double Black flag beach :eek: you get pulled out by a rip and you're out in the atlantic. You'd definitely want a rib out there for back up.

• Advertisement

Jimi you only skimboard on the cm of water that runs up the beach when a wave comes in when your learning.Id say most people in Ireland who skimboard wouldn't be able to carve a wave so the wouldn't have the problem of getting pulled out.
    Check out the videos on youtube of the really good skimboarders.What some of them can do is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 podgerodge

theo4130 wrote:
    wondering if many people skimboard in ireland, a few friends and me have been doing it a good bit recently, i think i prefer it to surfing now.
    its good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Guinea

Skimboarding is awesome. Don't bother paying 80 quid for your own, build one yourself out of laminated plywood. Trace a friends and jigsaw it out, then sand it, paint it, and varnish it. It'll be just as good for a tenner and an hour or two of fun work.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

Tried skimboarding for the first time yesterday, feeling the pain today! I fell every single time! Gave my 8 year old nephew a go and he just showed me up! Good craic, but would be better if there were a few more skimmers there to pick up a few tips! I'll keep at it! Bought the skimboard, new, on Ebay €30!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LisaTegan

Im living in Dun Laoghaire originally from small surfing town in mayo, miss the surf so looked into doing some skimboarding, Killiney seafront has a few good spots. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 beverage66

ash h wrote: »
    I got my skimboard for about €25 i think.That was in a sale a few years ago.Not sure how much they are now though.Mines a wooden bulldog skimbord.As regards what tide to try skimboarding at it dosent really matter.The best days are when the waves arent that big and there not coming straight in really close together.

Yep I skimboard in Dunworley in Cork. Bought the board 2 months ago and since then improved a good bit at least can stay on it. I have tried surfboard wax on the skimboard doesnt seem to work at all for grip. So I am thinking of buying the deck grips for them which also line out wear your feet should go. So might help. Anybody else use anything different for grip?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lilian

Just bought a skimboard last week end and practice it for half an hour, it is really good fun! Is there anybody who is doing some around Dublin and will be able to give me few tips ?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

I was gonna make a skimboard for flat water, no wind, roasting hot days (which wont be very often) but when I saw how cheap they were I figured I'd just buy one!! Am yet to buy one but will over the summer.

There's loads of beachs in wexford that have flat water even in the wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Hey. can we make this thread active again? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 croney29

Spanish point has a good shore break on the right day.

Advertisement