Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prime Time 10th March 2015

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Heard nothing either - not holding my breath; they only seem to meet every quarter or so.

Read some of the BAI decisions for pig iron - the framework affords very little control over media sources and c.90% of complaints are dismissed.

However, the BAI do seem to take into account the number of complaints received about a report and I reckon we have about 6 or 7 complaints in, which is more than the BAI would get in an entire quarter.

Don't be surprised when BAI decisions come from a "big picture" "overall" perspective - they like to hide behind this kind of thing.

I reckon Sparks' complaint has the best chance of being upheld in part (mostly because he went into obsessive detail).

Very disappointing that only 7 or 8 of us bothered our ass to make a complaint to the BAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

knockon wrote: »
    Very disappointing that only 7 or 8 of us bothered our ass to make a complaint to the BAI.

Hey its an improvement on the last time! Only four of us made a complaint then.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Think maybe the 95% rule should be retitled "the less than 1%" rule. The US has a group of pro gun activists called the 3% and without going to RTKBA terrority their claim is 3% of the gun owners need to be hard core to stop any further legislation[Harping back to the American revolution where only 3% of the pouplation supported a revolt against the king]..
    In Ireland it seems it is less than 0.1% that do anything positive in keeping this shooting sport alive.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

People are too ready to accept every edict and proposal from on high.
    Back in March I went to a local Gun Clubs "game night" Iin a local pub/restaurant.
    listened to two lads discussing the Gardai proposals, and they were chatting like it was already in law! Telling each other how semi auto .23 were going tobe banned, and also all pumps and semi shotguns.
    i don't know what it is, that despite all the scandals down the years, lads will swallow any old guff in a fatalistic way. Is there an Irish gene that makes us happy to be oppressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

As griz said, that's a 100% improvement on the last time (and I'm one of them).

6 or 7 BAI complaints is a significant number, all the same. They don't get that many in 3 months, usually - and nearly never that amount about a single broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    .... Is there an Irish gene that makes us happy to be oppressed?

Yup, apparently it got into the gene pool initially around the Wexford / Waterford region, about 800 years ago and then spread throughout the nation ;)
    yubabill1 wrote: »
    ....6 or 7 BAI complaints is a significant number, all the same. They don't get that many in 3 months, usually - and nearly never that amount about a single broadcast.

I think this is the key point to consider, no matter how small the number its large in terms of the number of complaints the BAI usually get about anything... I'm expecting a favourable ruling from the BAI (albeit, as soft as they can possibly get away with).

Anyone think it might prove worthwhile if we all contacted the BAI now and made it known that we were all in contact with each other and can easily communicate with the press, to let them know that they won't be able to simply "brush us off" on a one by one basis ?

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

garrettod wrote: »
    Yup, apparently it got into the gene pool initially around the Wexford / Waterford region, about 800 years ago and then spread throughout the nation ;)

I think this is the key point to consider, no matter how small the number its large in terms of the number of complaints the BAI usually get about anything... I'm expecting a favourable ruling from the BAI (albeit, as soft as they can possibly get away with).

Anyone think it might prove worthwhile if we all contacted the BAI now and made it known that we were all in contact with each other and can easily communicate with the press, to let them know that they won't be able to simply "brush us off" on a one by one basis ?

On your last point, Garret, I wouldn't let them know. Wait till we see what kind of response is received, and whether everyone's response is consistent.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    On your last point, Garret, I wouldn't let them know. Wait till we see what kind of response is received, and whether everyone's response is consistent.

Hi,

My concern would be that it would then be too late, I seem to recall something about not bieng able to appeal a BAI decision (although I'm open to correction)...

Obviously, I'm not suggesting that we invite them over to chat with us here (although in theory, they could if they wanted to engage here), but just to let them know that we "compare notes" etc.

With reference to the recent response that Sparks received, regarding the decision having been made in late June... it hardly takes ten days to send response to each of us saying "Your complaint has been upheld" does it ? :confused:

Thanks,

G.

Well then, if the decision is made, and cannot be appealed, then so be it. It's done and dusted.
    But if two people got different findings to the same or similar complaints, Then you might be able to get an investigative journalist interested.

Even better than looking for a creature as rare as an Irish investigative journalist,which has a rarity as much as a breeding pair of unicorns. It can be taken to the Dail and raised as a matter of concern,same as the GSOC finding blameless AGS CS and supers all the time in firearms cases.The more found the better the presentable case.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Dear Mr. Nekarsulm,

Your complaint was considered at the most recent Compliance Committee meeting and the decision is currently being finalised. It should be circulated later this week.

Yours sincerely,
    Jean Crampton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Decision in the post this morning. Not upheld. Haven't read through the full thing yet.

Sparks wrote: »
    Decision in the post this morning. Not upheld. Haven't read through the full thing yet.

Same here - got a cut-and-paste decision based on Spark's complaint, mostly - they glossed over the Corbally murders and addressed stuff in detail that I didn't complain about.

Whitewash, but that's what I expected, from reading previous decisions.

Reckon we had up to 16 or 17 complaints in (previous maths was wrong).

Only the courts from here - don't have the resources.

Why am I in the least bit not surprised?Learn from it.Irish broadcasting media is as anti gun as any other country and the broadcasting complaints authorithy wont hang their comrades in the canteen class of RTE out to dry.Quit thinking the media is our friend or even neutral on this .It isnt ,never has been or will be.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Why am I in the least bit not surprised?Learn from it.Irish broadcasting media is as anti gun as any other country and the broadcasting complaints authorithy wont hang their comrades in the canteen class of RTE out to dry.Quit thinking the media is our friend or even neutral on this .It isnt ,never has been or will be.

Totally agree.

However, we've shown a bit of fight and that they better be more careful.

They hid behind the words of a senior Garda, whose opinion we have shown to be not exactly rock-solid.

Happily accept this if WG proposals shelved.

I think we don't need to learn much at all Grizzly; everyone who filed complaints with the BAI would never have trusted Prime Time in the first place (some of us didn't even when asked to). This has been about trying to clean up a mess made by other people.

Had a chance to read the decision; after the reprint of the original complaint/responses/counter-responses, we got a near copy of what RTE had written in their first response. I'll post it when I get a chance to get near a scanner, but it'll be published soon enough anyway.

It would appear that the takeaway is that we were right not to trust Prime Time in the first place; that the SC should never have been gullible enough to trust them; and that in the future, we shouldn't go near them with a barge pole because we don't have an effective means of redress for the inevitable hatchet job.

My comment wasnt meant for us here as a group per se Sparks,it was meant for those in the SC and others who think dealing with the media is a childs play and they will be fair.You would get fairer treatment by sticking your head in a sack full of rattle snakes than dealing with gun issues in any global western media.Dunno,guess some people are hard of learning from previous experiances of others out there.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I have a question.

What would have happened if the complaints had been upheld?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I have a question.

Probably a short letter to the programme makers, advising that "in line with established Best Journalistic Practice, all facts are checked before publication"

I have a question.
    Prime Time would have been required to air a retraction and/or correction.
    Wouldn't have done much to alleviate the damage the original airing did, but it would have been useful further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Sparks wrote: »
    Prime Time would have been required to air a retraction and/or correction.
    Wouldn't have done much to alleviate the damage the original airing did, but it would have been useful further down the line.

I'm trying not to be thick here but how would it have been useful further down the line? Useful in discussions with the Minister, Dept. Justice etc?

An apology might also have been bad press for us. An apology along the lines of "We provided wrong information in that programme, there wasn't 1700 guns stolen, it was actually 1000 guns stolen" wouldn't help our cause. They could play down the stats that they got wrong and emphasise stats that aren't in our favour. That's the kind of apology we don't need and there's no knowing what kind of apology they would have come out with.

The general public, having seen an apology, wouldn't remember that a gun used in a murder was stolen from a PSNI officer in Northern Ireland. They would remember "stolen gun", and that wouldn't do us any favours.

• Advertisement

I'm trying not to be thick here but how would it have been useful further down the line? Useful in discussions with the Minister, Dept. Justice etc?
    Well, yes.
    "Deputy McGrath says you lot are an accident waiting to happen".
    "Well he says a lot of things, but last time he said them in public, the BAI said..."

An apology might also have been bad press for us.
    Very true. But the content of the apology wouldn't have been the point, and we're not talking about the day after it comes out, but months and years afterwards.

To be blunt, the SC should never have jumped at the bait for this in the first place, but since they did and we all got this **** sandwich dumped in front of us, we all had to line up and take a bite.

Personally, I think there's a lesson there, but you know me, I'm biased :rolleyes:
    The general public, having seen an apology, wouldn't remember that a gun used in a murder was stolen from a PSNI officer in Northern Ireland. They would remember "stolen gun", and that wouldn't do us any favours.
    I think they'd remember the disparity between "privately owned handgun in Ireland" and "stolen service issued handgun from Northern Ireland" though. And so long as they remember the disparity, that's the important bit, if the idea gets out there that what the Gardai say in regard to firearms is not in all cases by default the last word on the situation, that would be useful. When the head of the FPU and the head of the Firearms Unit can present numbers that are provably, mathematically, wrong to the Dail and nobody even thinks to factcheck them because they're the FPU and the Firearms Unit, then the pendulum is a bit too far over to one side and needs some balance.

I'm not exactly in the Fight Da Powa camp and I have a lot more time for the FPU and the Firearms Unit than some :D but even I check the math.

Going by most of these apologies from that programme,unless you happen to have been accused of kiddy fiddling or somthing like that.It is usually somthing along a paragraph read at the end of a programme.Along the lines of" We apologise for the facts or case being presented in our programme on firearms last march 2015...Some inaccuracies were pointed out to us,we accept them as such and wd are sorry for them and any hurt caused....Next!"Thats as much as they have to say under law about this.
    As Sparks said maybe handy in the future..I would say never give the pigs in the media an excuse for a story relating to guns.Best comment on subjects like this is "No comment and PFO."

Letter received from the BAI, complaint not upheld... I'm far from happy !

Thanks,

G.

Same here, just in from silage so will study it tomorrow.

Can anyone make sense of this?

Complaint 68/15 decision Sept 15

"The Committee found that the risk highlighted in the programme was that legal gun
    ownership does present potential risks in terms of theft for criminal activity and also
    from the fact that there is always the potential that someone certified to hold a firearm legally may use it to kill. A number of examples were used to highlight these risks and the Committee did not agree that the highlighting of these risks could be taken to mean that those who hold firearms legally are a risk to society."

Translated.."Despite you having undergone stringent liscensing qualifications here..We in prime time still consider you a potential dangerous nutter eventhough you are liscensed,and we will quote examples utterly irrevelant to the facts." Thats basically what that convoluted BS statement is saying in both .

Or alternatively, "We have made a populist programme, with a strong "scare factor", aimed at the easily alarmed and gullible, and by God, we are going to defend our programme and presenter's to the last"

I've spent most of the day reading highly technical chemistry and interpreting a slew of patents and I certainly can't understand the reasoning above.

I hope we gave them a headache.

I mean, how does it follow that by highlighting the potential for a licensed firearms holder to kill members of the public, you don't mean that those who hold firearms legally are a risk?

Makes Robert Mugabe look like a reasonable man.

Maybe it's time the shoe was on the other foot....

Instead of RTE giving us a bit of a hard time with the sort of nonsense they broadcast, why don't we all start giving them a bit of a hard time ?

No reason why a campaign could not be started, calling for a reduction in the number of Radio and TV stations the State provides (after all, there is plenty of choice in the open competitive market, so the State does not need to provide so many services). The sale or both Radio stations and one of the TV stations could bring in siginificant money for the Government, while it would also frighten the life out of many of those very nice people on high salaries, out in Dublin 4.

Sorry for taking the thread a little off topic btw.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
Advertisement