Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attack on Titan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

For anyone waiting for the English dub, it is being broadcast in America staring April 29th on Adult Swims Toonami block.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-04-02/jason-demarco-toonami-to-air-attack-on-titan-season-2-starting-on-april-29/.114243

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I enjoyed the opener.
    The scene with the Beast titan was particularly interesting. The trailer made him look like he could be one of the allies of the humans (aside from throwing the horse). Whereas in the scene itself he was anything but. Pretty brutal death for that soldier and the "You can move now"
    was chilling.

Watched it on Crunchyroll. Just as well there's a free trial; dunno if myself and the housemate will be going through with that purchase. Video (on PS4) was freezing and then would go through moments of speeding through scenes. Thankfully it righted itself eventually (though there were still some tense moments as it looked like the service was crapping out).

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the opener.
    The scene with the Beast titan was particularly interesting. The trailer made him look like he could be one of the allies of the humans (aside from throwing the horse). Whereas in the scene itself he was anything but. Pretty brutal death for that soldier and the "You can move now"
    was chilling.

Watched it on Crunchyroll. Just as well there's a free trial; dunno if myself and the housemate will be going through with that purchase. Video (on PS4) was freezing and then would go through moments of speeding through scenes. Thankfully it righted itself eventually (though there were still some tense moments as it looked like the service was crapping out).

Crunchyroll runs fine 90% of the time, they were having server issues yesterday though. Also don't bother trying to watch when Dragon Ball Super launches early on Sunday mornings(around 1.30 am atm) at it tanks the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Worth mentioning Crunchyroll took a battering Saturday because of influx of new sign-ups due to AoT. I renewed my membership Saturday evening to catch the premiere and read the next issue on the 8th, but it took around 5 hours for my order to process. They seemed to have ironed everything out now, though.

12 eps means we're just getting the "Clash of the Titans" arc, right? Anyone think we'll be getting more later in the year?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Worth mentioning Crunchyroll took a battering Saturday because of influx of new sign-ups due to AoT. I renewed my membership Saturday evening to catch the premiere and read the next issue on the 8th, but it took around 5 hours for my order to process. They seemed to have ironed everything out now, though.

12 eps means we're just getting the "Clash of the Titans" arc, right? Anyone think we'll be getting more later in the year?

Seems that way. I would have expected it to be 2 cour and finish up at the end of
    the civil war
    . Still quite a bit of material that can be adapted before catching up to the manga, looking forward to this months after
    the time skip

• Advertisement

Seems that way. I would have expected it to be 2 cour and finish up at the end of
    the civil war
    . Still quite a bit of material that can be adapted before catching up to the manga, looking forward to this months after
    the time skip

Yeah, was expecting the same. TV-only followers of the franchise are gonna be drawing a pension before they find out
    what's in the basement.

Mixed feelings on the manga because it felt like
    it was nearing an end game but we've now got another couple arcs worth of lore to pump through. Still pretty fascinating, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Very late to the party but I just binge watched all of season 1 today after hearing from a friend that season 2 was released and that I should give it a go. I held it off before because I thought it would've been too gory for me but wow. Love the plot and yeah, I wish we got a bit more on Mikasa as she seems like a really interesting character.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm waiting on the dub of season 2 to start before watching. That starts tomorrow in the States

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Cotts72

The dubbed voices actually irritate me :D enjoying season 2 so far and how they are focusing on a big reveal with the true origins of the Titans! Can't wait till they finally unleash Eren in Titan form

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Season 2 Episode 6 spoilers:

Well, they finally revealed it. I'm glad the anime translated the manga so well, it was almost like a spaghetti western!

• Advertisement

Season 2 Episode 6 spoilers:

Well, they finally revealed it. I'm glad the anime translated the manga so well, it was almost like a spaghetti western!

Think the show actually did a better job with the reveal than the books. Felt understated, rather than the source material which almost seemed nonchalant.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Season 3 announced for 2018!

Excellent finale as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Cocksy

can't wait for the next season

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Manora

Up to episode 20, and I'm really enjoying it. Sure, maybe it is a bit overhyped, but its still fantastic. I love the setting, and it certainly looks gorgeous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Cocksy

nice idea and plot

If anyone's still on the manga hype train, chapter 100's just dropped. Ain't read it but believe it's utterly coconuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Where is the anime in relation to the manga?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Where is the anime in relation to the manga?

About 3 arcs behind. Arcs in the manga got longer after the fifth one, so it looks like one arc is now roughly a season if AoT season 2 is anything to go. So, yeah, like 3 seasons worth of stuff is currently unadapted. That said, the AoT teaser released at the end of season 2 showed some stuff they shouldn't be getting to for a long while, so I don't know.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    About 3 arcs behind. Arcs in the manga got longer after the fifth one, so it looks like one arc is now roughly a season if AoT season 2 is anything to go. So, yeah, like 3 seasons worth of stuff is currently unadapted. That said, the AoT teaser released at the end of season 2 showed some stuff they shouldn't be getting to for a long while, so I don't know.

Yeah, from the teaser it seems to be adapting upto
    the second time skip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Munt1core

the best anime ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Part do drag on in the manga, last ended with a bang in any case.

Bluray for season 2 is out in February from Sony. Great to see Funimations new owners releasing in the UK and Ireland at the same time, in the same format as the US.

https://animeuknews.net/2017/12/sony-attack-on-titan-2-uk/

Humble bundle up for the manga and the spin offs.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/attack-on-titan-books

Also a new key visual for season 3 has been released showing Levi and
    Kenny

DTY0PejW4AAgoNP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Microsoft giving away season one in HD free at the moment

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/season-101/8d6kgwzr35tf/0003

Suckit wrote: »

This can be redeemed on an Irish account, but can not be viewed due to the way Microsofts Film and Tv store operates.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You’re in a different region

To buy this product, set your Microsoft Store region to match your physical location.

Does it work for Ireland? /looks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Ah crap.
    I was rushing to pick up a delivery, and i just posted it, i had not checked region. Is it also not available in UK/Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Well I've finally finished season 2 four and half years after season 1.
    It was also good but I still haven't the foggiest what's going on.

Haven't read the manga.

Is there any particular reason season 2 was half the length?
    Was there a question of biting off more than they could chew for season 1 and they're switching to shorter seasons without as long a delay?

Gbear wrote: »
    Well I've finally finished season 2 four and half years after season 1.
    It was also good but I still haven't the foggiest what's going on.

Haven't read the manga.

Is there any particular reason season 2 was half the length?
    Was there a question of biting off more than they could chew for season 1 and they're switching to shorter seasons without as long a delay?

Just the length of the arc being adapted. Season 3 starts in July which appears to be covering the next two arcs, up to
    the second time skip
    , which is the last completed arc in the manga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've been wondering about some of the story-telling decisions in the show in season 2.
    I don't think they really sold the identity of Reiner and Bert as the Armoured and Colossal titans.
    Going through the flashbacks, there was enough foreshadowing to make me believe that it wasn't something they just pulled out of their arses half-way through this arc in the manga, and that it was always the plan, and I'm sure I had suspected Reiner as one of the blond people that might be the armoured titan (because it not being an important character would be bad storytelling), but in terms of selling his character it felt like they cheated.

Their apparent solution to essentially show Reiner's POV without spilling the beans about who he was, was to pretend that he was inhabiting a different persona in those scenes, and it felt like a copout and an excuse for resorting to bad storytelling in order to maintain the mystery.

Annie, for example, was pretty well done, because she always felt a bit off and her position as an outsider sold it, as did Ymir's, albeit to a lesser extent because she was less prominent until the section in the Castle in season 2.

Having said that it would be boring for the two titans to have been nobodies, Bert kinda was a nobody, so revealing him was a bit of a damp squib. In general, the way that reveal was structured was puzzling. It felt like they dropped into an episodic format and they had finished doing whatever it was they were beforehand and now they needed some new drama - queue awkward reveal: "Hey, Eren, we're murdering genocidal lunatics, and we'll casually slip it into conversation, even though we know you're horrifically traumatised by the effects of our actions that lead to the brutal death of your mother in front of your eyes."

Advertisement