Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chatting up people.....

• 20-03-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hello all,

Today, I saw/greeted a lovely chap on Grafton St (near the liquorice in a Health Food Shop)
    I didn't have the guts to go up and speak to him and now I cannot stop thinking about the situation. I was/am exceedingly attracted to him! (V v. v rarely does this happen to me!!)
    Damn it! I wish I took the risk.......! I did not know what to say...ahhhhhh
    So, how to recover from lost opportunities?..Thanks!

SimonSays (Not my real name)

'A female Simon'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Was he working there or did you just pass by? Sure if he's works there go back tomorrow and ask him, if not you never know you might see him around again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

simonsays1 wrote: »

It's a case of living and learning, I was like that when I was younger. After a few missed opportunities I said F*** this. Haven't had a missed once since and no regrets either. Better to have tried and failed than to not have tried at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Masturbate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Masturbate.

Mod note:
    No to After Hours type responses please and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Hello all,

Today, I saw/greeted a lovely chap on Grafton St (near the liquorice in a Health Food Shop)
    I didn't have the guts to go up and speak to him and now I cannot stop thinking about the situation. I was/am exceedingly attracted to him! (V v. v rarely does this happen to me!!)

'A female Simon'

A female Simon?
    Did you try the Ladies Lounge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Hello all,

'A female Simon'

Well there are apparently some guys out there (myself included) who seem to be rubbish at doing the approaching, so maybe if more girls could take the initiative it could help us out a bit.

That being said, I have a hard time believing that a very attractive woman would approach even a very attractive man - not that I'm judging you - please forgive.

Next time just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

There was a line I heard somewhere a while ago, might have been in a pub might have been online... *shrug*
    Might only really apply in the USA...
    Anyway it's "an average woman will be approached more times by the time she is 25 than the most attractive man will be in his entire life"...
    Generally speaking women don't do much approaching... even when they're interested because "If he was interested he would have approached by now"...
    So many men arnt used to it and may react slowly...

You should totally have made some sort of actual approach. Maybe he wouldn't have responded the way you wanted but hey now he's gone anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

If you were a car door, I'd.. and so on and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

If you dont ask you cant get.

Applys to alot of situations. You've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

When I was single I spotted a bloke working in a local tesco and we made eye contact... I was tempted to approach him but I didnt... I drove most of the way home and thought fe'ck it, what do I have to lose? It was a test to see what I could make of the situation. went back, strolled up and asked him if he was single... his response was 'i'm not I have a girlfriend...' so i smiled and turned to walk out.... and he shouted after 'I wish I didn't'

Result.... ? a confidence boost. If you don't fear rejection - you can't be rejected because you have the confidence to strike up conversation everywhere everyday... and people will pay attention to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I wish I didnt, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Sadderday wrote: »
    If you don't fear rejection - you can't be rejected because you have the confidence to strike up conversation everywhere everyday...

In fairness though...show me someone who doesn't fear rejection and I'll show you a liar. Especially among women as we traditionally tend to not be the approachers.

beks101 wrote: »
    In fairness though...show me someone who doesn't fear rejection and I'll show you a liar. Especially among women as we traditionally tend to not be the approachers.

I don't think any woman should have any fear of approaching a man at a bar, in a supermarket- anywhere at all.

Depends on your personality and how well you can interact. Most of the time you will get talking.

Here's a tip - if your about to attempt just chatting to men here and there to see where you get, try it out on a woman... if your standing behind a woman in a queue, ask her where she got her perfume, at the bus-stop chat about the weather... you just have to be confident approaching someone with ease and integrity, if you approach a man in this manner chances are he will be asking you for your number before you part ways anyway.

Sometimes women feel more capable of this one week and not so much the next as the daily grind wears us down. So we aren't always confident I suppose... but it is worth a try building your confidence up to a point where a rejection wont knock you back into a shell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I saw a guy last week on the bus I normally take. Never saw him before and I really wanted to chat him up but didnt know how. I was going to stay on longer on the bus and get off at the same stop as him but I wouldn't have a way back. I wish I had the courage. Another time it took me 6 years just to make a move on a guy.

I actually think it would probably be easier for women to do the approaching, as men are generally less cruel in those situations. If a man gets approached by a woman he's not attracted to he's still pleasant as it's an ego boost. Many women will be nice as well but women have a greater tendency to be rude or cruel - especially if they become flustered or feel the guy is much less attractive than they are.

Although on the other hand, men are more likely to be clingy and think it's an automatic invitation for sex etc, so it's not all good news for women either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think fear of rejection is alot worse for men as the pressure is always on us to make the first move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

i find the thought of chatting someone up is just mentally exhausting and nerve racking, but again what have you to lose, youll prob never see the person again if you mess it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I think fear of rejection is alot worse for men as the pressure is always on us to make the first move.

But if you're used to doing it, you're more likely to be a bit more immune to rejection, no? I mean it's always going to suck, but if you're in the habit of approaching you'll probably have dealt with being shot down quite a bit too, coz that's the game, you win some you lose some.

Whereas for women...or at least for me, I can count the amount of approaches Ive made on one hand, and any single rejection has as good as turned me off men for weeks on end. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

But if you're used to doing it, you're more likely to be a bit more immune to rejection, no? I mean it's always going to suck, but if you're in the habit of approaching you'll probably have dealt with being shot down quite a bit too, coz that's the game, you win some you lose some.

Whereas for women...or at least for me, I can count the amount of approaches Ive made on one hand, and any single rejection has as good as turned me off men for weeks on end. :)

But that would suggest that every man would take rejection the same way and this is not the case.

Some men are outgoing and have the gift of the gab and if a lady rejects him it won't cost him a thought. Others (myself included) would be a bit more shy in making the first move and especially if someone is a bit rude in their reply it can hit the self confidence.

Everyone has the same feelings, whether they be men or women so I don't think we can really say that all men "get used to it".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

But that would suggest that every man would take rejection the same way and this is not the case.

Some men are outgoing and have the gift of the gab and if a lady rejects him it won't cost him a thought. Others (myself included) would be a bit more shy in making the first move and especially if someone is a bit rude in their reply it can hit the self confidence.

Everyone has the same feelings, whether they be men or women so I don't think we can really say that all men "get used to it".

I disagree, I think generally speaking rejection hurts women more. Especially sexual rejection, I'm used to a bit of sexual rejection like most men so it's not that big of a deal, but the few times I've been approached and asked for sex That I've said no they all freaked out. They went crazy in an eery way. One time I had the choice if two friends for the night (lucky me), they basically laid the cards on the table. The girl I didn't choose was mentally destroyed by it. Started panicking and ringing male friends at three in the morning. Really weird.

• Advertisement

The trick is confidence. All the way confidence. Head high, shoulders back, eye contact, smile....

If you fancy someone you dont always have to do the chatting up, if you can manage to start a conversation or break the ice they may drum up the courage to ask you out. Sometimes men need to know that you are into them, noone wants to be turned away feeling embarrassed in public so if your making eye contact and the signs are there just go for it, break the ice. Obviously, men look even when they have a girlfriend so this could always be the case but if your getting looked at its a good sign that you wont be shunned by a single bloke.

Just throw in an ice breaker, in the supermarket that your looking for something for lunch, in the smoking area the weather, at the bar- any kind of conversation will do... if the man is not so responsive - no harm done - you werent shot down, you were just making polite conversation; if he fancies you- you have just made it easier for him to speak to you.

I must admit, I do this and find it a good way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I'm terribly shy when it comes to chatting up women or even just starting a conversation with someone I don't know. There was a really pretty girl in a bar I was in on Monday and I couldn't figure out a way of approaching her, it didn't help it looked like she was with her sister and their mother. Oh how I wish I had the confidence to walk over and not make a tit of myself.

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I'm terribly shy when it comes to chatting up women or even just starting a conversation with someone I don't know. There was a really pretty girl in a bar I was in on Monday and I couldn't figure out a way of approaching her, it didn't help it looked like she was with her sister and their mother. Oh how I wish I had the confidence to walk over and not make a tit of myself.

its tough when there is an audience !! I wouldn't think going up to women in a situation like this and chatting to one virtually ignoring the others would NOT be good though... might make it uncomfortable for the girl.

I'd say strolling over and saying 'hiya ladies, I think this girl is gorgeous...' could be a good move... making it obvious who you are attracted to and will 99% of the time make women smile. If you were shot down in this situation I imagine after building up banter it would be in the nicest way. The women may even encourage the girl to chat to you, she could have been shy herself.

I think if you have the fun loving attitute when approaching women in this situation you cant really go wrong. You could take a seat at the table but you kinda need to be providing entertaining stories rather than sit and impose on their chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Thanks for the advice but I couldn't afford the drugs I need to take for an ounce of that sort of confidence. (pun intended)

There's a select few who have what I'd call profound confidence - it's like their confidence is built on very solid foundations. These types of people shake off rejection like a duck shakes off water and then they go and approach another person with the same confidence they had when they started. I think you can certainly better yourself as an adult but in my opinion there is no substitute for a good start in life, when your personality is developing.

Some people might respond to this by asking why some bad boy types with terrible upbringings are confident and quite good with women: well the answer is probably that they've at least been around girls from a young age and probably lost their virginity early. That's why I'm not a particular fan of same sex schools because for a young person who isn't very sociable it might be their only chance to mix with the opposite sex before they leave school and become adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I think you can get used to it to a certain extent. The rejection doesn't get any easier, but its possible to build a tolerance for it, and some people may get to the stage where they just don't give a fook anymore.
    Pug160 wrote: »
    I actually think it would probably be easier for women to do the approaching, as men are generally less cruel in those situations.

That is often the case, especially when there's a group of girls involved. I've often seen a guy approach a girl and start talking to her, only to have all her friends making fun of him behind his back. I've often approached 2 girls together, but anymore than that would be a bit intimadating.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

Sadderday wrote: »
    The trick is confidence. All the way confidence. Head high, shoulders back, eye contact, smile....

If you fancy someone you dont always have to do the chatting up, if you can manage to start a conversation or break the ice they may drum up the courage to ask you out. Sometimes men need to know that you are into them, noone wants to be turned away feeling embarrassed in public so if your making eye contact and the signs are there just go for it, break the ice. Obviously, men look even when they have a girlfriend so this could always be the case but if your getting looked at its a good sign that you wont be shunned by a single bloke.

Just throw in an ice breaker, in the supermarket that your looking for something for lunch, in the smoking area the weather, at the bar- any kind of conversation will do... if the man is not so responsive - no harm done - you werent shot down, you were just making polite conversation; if he fancies you- you have just made it easier for him to speak to you.

I must admit, I do this and find it a good way to go.

as a lady approaching men I completely agree with the above! Works for me" its not all about going up to someone and laying your cards on the table straight away. From just starting up a conversation with someone you'll know within a couple of minutes whether the person is interested in you or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Right ... and wrong. It is the approachers who feel it more viscerally :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Pug160 wrote: »
    There's a select few who have what I'd call profound confidence - it's like their confidence is built on very solid foundations. These types of people shake off rejection like a duck shakes off water and then they go and approach another person with the same confidence they had when they started. I think you can certainly better yourself as an adult but in my opinion there is no substitute for a good start in life, when your personality is developing.

Some people might respond to this by asking why some bad boy types with terrible upbringings are confident and quite good with women: well the answer is probably that they've at least been around girls from a young age and probably lost their virginity early. That's why I'm not a particular fan of same sex schools because for a young person who isn't very sociable it might be their only chance to mix with the opposite sex before they leave school and become adults.
    I don't agree with any of this.

It's not confidence you need anyway - it's only a lack of fear. And that is a very difficult thing. because we WANT to find someone and we CARE.

Maturity is the only real answer OP. You need to develop the realisation NOT to invest individual encounters with super duper expectations ... and also the realisation that this thing we are told, about there being 'the one' out there .... is absolute bunkum.

In my long experience, we almost always find someone when we stop looking :) and the reason behind this is that we find someone when we stop investing high emotion in that split second.

Try to let life happen - if you can. Next time you have a situation like this happen ... Do not stop to THINK ...... and just say hi ... and have a few banal questions filed away in your mind for these situations (What time is it ... where di you buy that jacket .... 'I wish I could eat that ... but I'm on a duet" ... I'm going for coffee would you like to join me...)

The most important thing is to get the 'hi' out of your mouth .... after that it's downhill I PROMISE. And let's face it if he doesn't respond positively ... don't be disappointed ! because clearly he's not right for you :cool: no matter how cute he appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

Thanks for all the insightful advise. To answer a few...I didn't post this on the ladies lounge because I wanted to get info from a male perspective though the lady advise is great too.
    I definitely don't believe in 'the one'. It's just such a pity I don't naturally make the first move- It would make my life a little more interesting.
    Funnily enough, I definitely had more confidence in this department when I was in my early 20's. Age impacted!
    But if the opportunity arise once more, I'm hoping I'll go for it!

Cheerio and thanks
    Simonsays1

Advertisement