Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If born in Ireland on or before 31 December 2004 -
    and applying for your first Irish passport....you require to submit the long form of your Irish State birth certificate which shows the names of your parents

I've filleted out the relevent bits..as this is your first passport, you need the long form of your birth certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ok, thanks........have to track down a birth cert so :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Read HERE before posting. Also, read HERE for details on the Passport Appointment Booking Service, a pilot-programme lasting 3-months.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

I no you can get one of these in 2/3 days but can you get it on the day..?Me and MrsDub13 are off to Liverpool on Tuesday and when I went to do the online check in last night I found out her passport is out of date.

So she is going to head in first thing Monday morrning and she if she can pick one up.Does anybody know if its possable..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Yes but you have to go to the issuing office in Dublin and it costs extra. Mate of mine needed one asap to attend a family funeral 2 years ago and I think it cost him €150 but not 100% sure on the cost. He went up and explained his case and had to wait around a few hours but got it that day.

GalKiefer wrote: »
    Yes but you have to go to the issuing office in Dublin and it costs extra. Mate of mine needed one asap to attend a family funeral 2 years ago and I think it cost him €150 but not 100% sure on the cost. He went up and explained his case and had to wait around a few hours but got it that day.

Thanks thats good news,its not to expensive if you conceder a normal one cost 89 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ryanair? If you check in at the airport you can use driving license as proof of ID, you'll pay airport check in fee but might be cheaper than emergency passport?

Random wrote: »
    Ryanair? If you check in at the airport you can use driving license as proof of ID, you'll pay airport check in fee but might be cheaper than emergency passport?

You cant do that anymore,the common travel area between Ireland and the UK is gone.You now need a passport to enter the UK.

Ryanair website disagrees?
    http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=pid&quest=photoid
    For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom, to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued either by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Then it just hasn't been updated. You may not need a passport to get on the plane but there was someone here last week who confirmed that you need a passport to get into the UK.

The UK Government disagree with Ryanair,I would tend to agree with the UK goverment...

Link
    16 January 2009

Irish, UK travellers now need passport checks

After 80 years of free movement, Irish and UK nationals will now need to have the passports formally checked at border controls, according to the UK Parliament's new legislation published yesterday, 15th January.
    Over the next five years, the government will gradually introduce a multibillion-pound electronic system monitor the 15 million people who travel between the Britain and Ireland annually, reports the Guardian.

The border between the Irish Republic and Britain had been a common travel area since the Irish Free State was established in 1922. The Irish government has also confirmed it would introduce a new border security system to monitor illegal immigration.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    The UK Government disagree with Ryanair,I would tend to agree with the UK goverment...

Link
    Someone in Ryanair really needs to sort that out then.

Granted, the responsbility is on the traveller to ensure they have accurate info but this is nonsense !

Granted, the responsbility is on the traveller to ensure they have accurate info but this is nonsense !

Yea they do,you would get on the plane and into the UK no prob as when you do the on line check in ryanair only see you at the boarding gate and I find they just look at your passport pic then give you the boarding card.

What will need to happen for them to change this is some poor sod will get refused entry into the UK and Ryanair will be forced to carry them back free of charge.It will change quick fast then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Add-on charge for bothering to update our website. €0.25 per passenger.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Yea they do,you would get on the plane and into the UK no prob as when you do the on line check in ryanair only see you at the boarding gate and I find they just look at your passport pic then give you the boarding card.

What will need to happen for them to change this is some poor sod will get refused entry into the UK and Ryanair will be forced to carry them back free of charge.It will change quick fast then.
    If you checkin online only a passport is accepted so the chances are Ryanair will start turning people away at checkin desks.

I can see the episode of Airline now ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Don't forget to bring proof of travel to the Passport Office. Friend of mine had trouble with getting one issued because she didn't bring any documents showing she was travelling soon. She got it in the end but after a lot of arguing :)

Copy of your flight confirmation should do the trick in getting things moving.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Don't forget to bring proof of travel to the Passport Office. Friend of mine had trouble with getting one issued because she didn't bring any documents showing she was travelling soon. She got it in the end but after a lot of arguing :)

Copy of your flight confirmation should do the trick in getting things moving.

I will do that,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭balliali

When an Irish passport expires, and a new one is issued, does the new one retain the Passport Number that the old one had?? Please and thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No, I don't think (based on personal experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Got a new 10 year passport yesterday and it has a different number to my old 10 year passport (have both passports here beside me)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The legislation was just published, not yet enacted from what I can see. Two different things :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

no different numbers, the newer passports have more digits

Have had 3 passports now, all with different numbers.

She got the passport fine,now mother nature may get in the way of this trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irwin

ok,

well the first time i lost it, my jacket got robbed from a pub in dublin along with my wallet and all other id's...my fault for leaving it unattended, blah blah blah.:( (nice jacket too...)

so, got a new one!!! happy days! Anyway, can't seem to find the blasted thing, just moved house and EVERYTHING has been moved/dumped....

it may pop up still, but im wondering can i get a new one, after ive reported lost two passports. now, as i said, im slightly confident its gona pop up.

But just wondering is their a cap on how many times you can get a new passport after losing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

i lost 2 within about 3 years of each other and applied for a 3rd . They gave it to me but it was only a 3 year one rather than a 10 year!

hmmm...these have been lost within 6 months of each other:o. a three year one? i suppose thats better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You know it will turn up once you have parted with your money in the post office, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

This could be totally wrong, but a friend told me about her friend (see what I mean!) who had lost her passport 3 times and was told she wouldn't get a new one for 10 years, as I suppose, they were starting to suspect she was selling them. I often wondered about that but never looked into it. Anybody any more info?
    I know a guy who lost his passport twice in South America and got a new one ok each time, but I'm not sure if they were proper 10 year ones.

I also heard a simialar story and someone not getting one for 10 years!!!
    but how do they judge the fact that somone is being honest and losing their passports rather than selling them on to god knows where? anyway, i doubt you can forge the new passports, their fairly forgery proof.

• Advertisement

FYI, i have found the missing passport. THANK GOD!

but, its still interesting to know if anyone knows of any one that got refused a passport etc...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement