Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking on good Friday

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I will be anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

humanji wrote:
    It depends on the place. Some do and come don't.

I kind of think that the main reason people drink on Good Friday is because they're told they can't. If they changed the law and said that everyone must drink on Good Friday, you'd probably get everyone not drinking out of spite.
    lol
    that's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Blah blah blah,
    Two days a year you cant drink in a pub-get the feck over it.
    Topics like this pop up around the same time every year with the same convuluted arguments for and against with pretty much the same conclusion.
    Talking about it aint gonna get it changed-do something about it if you really want to drink in a pub on the two days a year that you cant.
    Arguing about it here on this forum aint gonna change anything.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Flukey wrote:
    Yes, they should be, but look at the furore caused when they are all closed for just one day! Everyone wants more days off, as we have seen in all sorts of different threads that pop up here from time to time, but when it comes to pubs, people want them open every single day throughout the year. They only have to close for two days in the entire year, and yet that is too much for a lot of people. It's ridiculous when you think about it.

I've no problem with pubs closing for 2 days in the year. I don't agree with the fact that they all have to close on those days. They should have a choice. As JC 2K3 said, no other businesses have to close for those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

kippy wrote:
    Blah blah blah,
    Two days a year you cant drink in a pub-get the feck over it.
    Topics like this pop up around the same time every year with the same convuluted arguments for and against with pretty much the same conclusion.
    Talking about it aint gonna get it changed-do something about it if you really want to drink in a pub on the two days a year that you cant.
    Arguing about it here on this forum aint gonna change anything.
    Kippy
    True. But we've got nothing better to do :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

Its not a specifically Catholic law, it goes back to the evangelist movement in England in the 18th and 19th century, where evangelist christians persistantly campaigned for tighter licensing laws, keeping Sunday holy, etc. This is no different. [/history nerd]

Most of these rules, even saints, were not originally Catholic, but have been adopted by the Catholic church, just to keep as many people as they could under the whole Catholic umbrella, cute hoores !

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Ok well by the same token why do people think it's ok for other groups to object to things like Christmas trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Red Alert wrote:
    Ok well by the same token why do people think it's ok for other groups to object to things like Christmas trees?
    Do people object to christmas trees? :confused:
    I would say people can put up christmas trees if they want, just like publicans can close on good friday if they want, but no one should be forced to put up a christmas tree.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

no, but aren't people sometimes forced to take them down?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Red Alert wrote:
    no, but aren't people sometimes forced to take them down?
    All that ever happened is some daft council went a bit too far with their ideas about trying not too offend anyone one day and a newspaper then picks up on the story and makes out that it really happened when it didn't.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4398680.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 forgodssake22

If the pubs were closed on Ash Wednesday or Easter Monday or any mid week day i would have no problem just thats its a friday pisses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Plissken1 wrote:
    Most of these rules, even saints, were not originally Catholic, but have been adopted by the Catholic church, just to keep as many people as they could under the whole Catholic umbrella, cute hoores !

Um, no....this law was passed by a British government under pressure from a (methodist) evangelical group. Its not Catholic and shouldn't be thought of as such. They may support it but its not Catholic.

So who's going to be taking the train from Cork to Belfast then? You can get served miniatures all day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Here we go again.....

- Good Friday is not just 'any day'

- It's the Friday of a bank holiday weekend

- Plenty people have the day off work and would like a drink

- Some people come home from abroad to see friends and family and would like the opportunity to go out

I have no problem with pubs closing during the year but why not pick the fourth Monday in January when most people are broke from Christmas and haven't got January's salary payment yet?

Would you like if the pubs were shut on

- The Friday of the May bank holiday weekend?
    - The Friday of the June bank holiday weekend?
    - The Friday of the August bank holiday weekend?
    - The Friday of the October bank holiday weekend?

I'd imagine not so why would you be happy with the pubs closing on the Friday of the Easter weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I'm looking forward to attending a meat-fuelled BBQ with lots of beer this friday. It really will be good!

Sorry God, you know I love you really.

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Here we go again.....

- Good Friday is not just 'any day'

- It's the Friday of a bank holiday weekend

So people are fairly happy to accept an extra day off work on account of religion, but if aren't able to go to the pub because of it its grounds for constant whinging? Take the good with the bad and stop being bitches ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yeah I agree with that^^
    Botany Bay wrote:
    Exactly how i feel. Its riduculous, did you know an atheist for example can't become a member of the judiciary or hold the office of the president:mad:
    I really doubt there is any truth to that, whatsoever. Unless you're linking it to swearing on the bible, which doesn't stop you from being an atheist any more that you stop being an atheist when you give evidence in court.

Halfway through this thread I started thinking the pubs must have to close for the entire weekend, then I checked and it's just Friday? One night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JimmySavlon

"Am not religious but I don't mind giving up drink for 1 day"

I dont understand this at all. Why would people agree to give up something if they dont even believe in the principle behind it? Who in the hell voted for this option?!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Botany Bay

InFront wrote:
    Yeah I agree with that^^

I really doubt there is any truth to that, whatsoever. Unless you're linking it to swearing on the bible, which doesn't stop you from being an atheist any more that you stop being an atheist when you give evidence in court.

Halfway through this thread I started thinking the pubs must have to close for the entire weekend, then I checked and it's just Friday? One night?

Im pretty sure im right on the president/judiciary point! I stand corrected though. As far as im aware its directly linked to the constitution. The fact that God is mentioned in it and all that. The simple point is not whether people can stand not drinking for one night in a pub. Its the principle of a religion having this kind of say as to when a business can operate. We are meant to be a soceity catering for many diverse religions and backgrounds. Nobody should have to curtail their daily or nightly activities at the behest and beliefs of a particular religion. What makes it worse is when that particular religion has a rap sheet in this country literally the size of the bible.

Botany Bay wrote:
    Im pretty sure im right on the president/judiciary point! I stand corrected though. As far as im aware its directly linked to the constitution. The fact that God is mentioned in it and all that. The simple point is not whether people can stand not drinking for one night in a pub. Its the principle of a religion having this kind of say as to when a business can operate. We are meant to be a soceity catering for many diverse religions and backgrounds. Nobody should have to curtail their daily or nightly activities at the behest and beliefs of a particular religion. What makes it worse is when that particular religion has a rap sheet in this country literally the size of the bible.

You are refering of course, to methodism? Wait you're not? Gosh its almost like people don't actually understand where these licensing laws come from. Gee wish someone would post about this. Gosh look at that, on the first page! Its me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JimmySavlon

Botany Bay wrote:
    Im pretty sure im right on the president/judiciary point!

Your absolutley wrong. If this was the case then everybody who ever got that dreaded call to jury service would have a ready made excuse... "Im an athesist your honour".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Botany Bay

Your absolutley wrong. If this was the case then everybody who ever got that dreaded call to jury service would have a ready made excuse... "Im an athesist your honour".

Your religious beliefs have no bearing on your eligibility of becoming president or becoming a judge?? Fair enough if that's the case i stand corrected. Still doesn't negate my point on the religious influence of businesses closing on good friday or the general influence of the catholic church in the functioning of the state/education etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The law may have changed.??

But all you have to do is book into a hotel, and resident bar here we go:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'm in favour of the pubs closing just purely because it exposes how pathetically alcohol dependant the morons of this country are.

Lolz forgot to mention earlier but last year one of the lads I worked with in londis asked the owner to open the offy for him at the end of the day about bout almost 10quids worth of booze for the friday and saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

So people are fairly happy to accept an extra day off work on account of religion, but if aren't able to go to the pub because of it its grounds for constant whinging? Take the good with the bad and stop being bitches ffs.

Who said anything about getting off work? IT IS NOT A BANK HOLIDAY. Just because some business decide to take the day off, doesn't mean all businesses do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Damn right I will, going to a house party! *jiggles*

jimi_t wrote:
    Who said anything about getting off work? IT IS NOT A BANK HOLIDAY. Just because some business decide to take the day off, doesn't mean all businesses do.

The guy that mentioned its a bank holiday did. What I was saying (and I thought people were smart enough to realise but obviously not) is that you get a bank holiday on Easter Monday, but to get that you have to have good Friday. You don't get one without the other.
    So in return for taking a day of bars and offys being closed (as opposed to being forced to not drink which is different) ye get a paid bank holiday at the end of the weekend. And you're still complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

could do that if i didn't have to WORK on good friday!! so just getting the bad part of this religious holiday. and im not even religious:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Dont believe in religon at all and would actually rather keep the day off to use for when i wanted to but feck it its nice to have a long weekend. As for drinking, meh, one day off it wont kill anyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

If there were no religious holidays then more national holidays would make up for it and there'd be none of these silly restrictions.

Advertisement