Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Returned application
    Ok submitted passport express for my 8 year old son on 1st may. Received it back today stating we had not included birthcert. Travelling on 28th may and wondering does the process go back to the beginning or when i submit the birth cert will it be processed. A bit concerned so any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bhd2040

Hi,
    Just sent off our passports (2 adults renewal, 2 kids first timers) today. We are travelling 4th June.... very anxious that they wont be back in time! Can anyone reassure me please..... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

bhd2040 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just sent off our passports (2 adults renewal, 2 kids first timers) today. We are travelling 4th June.... very anxious that they wont be back in time! Can anyone reassure me please..... :o

If it was sent Passport Express, you'll be fine, no backlog at the moment and I don't really envisage one any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bhd2040

yes it was by express, thank you for that! Im praying everything is ok with them now and they dont send back looking for something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

dixierip wrote: »
    Returned application
    Ok submitted passport express for my 8 year old son on 1st may. Received it back today stating we had not included birthcert. Travelling on 28th may and wondering does the process go back to the beginning or when i submit the birth cert will it be processed. A bit concerned so any advice appreciated.

Anyone with simialar experience or advice ??:confused:

• Advertisement

dixierip wrote: »
    Anyone with simialar experience or advice ??:confused:

It will be submitted as a return, so at bit faster, ring the passport office to make sure that your application will be completed on time. Honestly, if you can, go into the office and do it in person, just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Flying to London for job interviews Monday and I submitted my passport by passport express on Tuesday last, the 8th. Flying out the 21st and according to the tracker, it won't be issued until the 22nd. My old passport expires on the 20th. Rang the office today, and she said to email on the stuff and she would see what they could do to have it Friday - anyone got any experience in a case like this?? Flying Ryanair and need a passport - flights and accommodation are paid for

Flying to London for job interviews Monday and I submitted my passport by passport express on Tuesday last, the 8th. Flying out the 21st and according to the tracker, it won't be issued until the 22nd. My old passport expires on the 20th. Rang the office today, and she said to email on the stuff and she would see what they could do to have it Friday - anyone got any experience in a case like this?? Flying Ryanair and need a passport - flights and accommodation are paid for

If you email proof of travel, they should be able to expedite it to the day before you travel, it means you will have to collect your passport from the office though, as they more than likely wont post it out to you in time.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

mmcn90 wrote: »
    If you email proof of travel, they should be able to expedite it to the day before you travel, it means you will have to collect your passport from the office though, as they more than likely wont post it out to you in time.

Emailed it into the office earlier - I've no problem travelling to collect it, thats a bit of relief hopefully, stressed enough about the interviews! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I submitted my passport by passport express on Tuesday last, the 8th. Flying out the 21st and according to the tracker, it won't be issued until the 22nd.

I was just coming on to query something similar - I submitted mine by passport express on Monday 7th (around lunchtime), yet despite the An Post website saying "Passport Express provides a next working day delivery service to the Passport Service for applications submitted to Post Offices.", mine wasn't recorded as received in the Passport office until the 9th.

Late Friday afternoon (the 18th) it changed from received to checking, and the passport issue date is the 22nd (which means the earliest I'll receive it is the 23rd). This in itself is a bit of a PITA, as I timed sending it so that I'd be at home to receive it, but won't be home on the 23rd.

Regardless, the interesting bit was on the Passport website:
    "The Passport Service guarantees a 10 working days turnaround time for passport applications submitted via the Passport Express service ". It's not explained on their site, but an the An Post site the small print shows that the 10 days is from when the passport office receives it, to when they issue it - so you can add a day for post at either end.

1. In what way are the passport office "guaranteeing" things? Do you get a refund if they go outside the 10 days (and that information isn't advertised where they say it will be)?
    2. What kind of screwy process has the applications sitting around for 7 days before someone starts checking them? Wouldn't it make more sense to check them when they arrive, so that if there's a problem the applicant can be notified that they'll have to reapply immediately?

In my case, if, for some reason, my application is rejected, it will be Monday before I know about it, when I'm expecting my passport to be issued on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I timed sending it so that I'd be at home to receive it, but won't be home on the 23rd.
    You do not have to be at home to receive a passport. No signature is needed.

Thoie wrote: »
    I was just coming on to query something similar - I submitted mine by passport express on Monday 7th (around lunchtime), yet despite the An Post website saying "Passport Express provides a next working day delivery service to the Passport Service for applications submitted to Post Offices.", mine wasn't recorded as received in the Passport office until the 9th.

Late Friday afternoon (the 18th) it changed from received to checking, and the passport issue date is the 22nd (which means the earliest I'll receive it is the 23rd). This in itself is a bit of a PITA, as I timed sending it so that I'd be at home to receive it, but won't be home on the 23rd.

Regardless, the interesting bit was on the Passport website:
    "The Passport Service guarantees a 10 working days turnaround time for passport applications submitted via the Passport Express service ". It's not explained on their site, but an the An Post site the small print shows that the 10 days is from when the passport office receives it, to when they issue it - so you can add a day for post at either end.

1. In what way are the passport office "guaranteeing" things? Do you get a refund if they go outside the 10 days (and that information isn't advertised where they say it will be)?
    2. What kind of screwy process has the applications sitting around for 7 days before someone starts checking them? Wouldn't it make more sense to check them when they arrive, so that if there's a problem the applicant can be notified that they'll have to reapply immediately?

In my case, if, for some reason, my application is rejected, it will be Monday before I know about it, when I'm expecting my passport to be issued on Tuesday.

You don't have to be at home to receive it - my parents collected mine at the passport office on Friday, and my brothers was posted to the house, and Mam got it. If there is a problem with it, they will ring you fast enough about it - brothers passport ended up being stopped because he had put his first and second name on the new application form and only had his first name on his old passport.

Just an update on my situation - called into the passport office on Thursday, and the person who served me wasn't the politest, but was able to call upstairs and say it should be ready. It was approved on Thursday, and I got a phone call Friday morning to say that it was ready to collect.

Just to add slightly to this, just because the online checker doesnt show it as received, doesnt mean its not in the system. Ive seen two different statuses for the same application between the online checker and the internal system. 99% of the time, its in the office the next working day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Conormurphy19

Hi Boards!

This is my first post so please bare with me. I recently booked a trip to Amsterdam, leaving on the morning of Thursday, May 31st, to see a concert at the famous Melkweg club. I lost my passport last year and quite stupidly, did not report this straight away. I did however report this and go through the process of acquiring a new passport just over 2 weeks ago and had all the required documentation, acquired with the help of a Guard, and sent it away to be processed. I got a letter back this past Friday, with all of my documentation inside, stating that my application could not be processed as the forms of identification were 'uncertified' even though the passport photos provided were new and signed by a member of An Garda Siochana.

Now, I am leaving in 9 days (unincluding today of course) and I have no passport so I am presuming that I will need to get an emergency passport, although no one has actually told me this but I have heard people saying that in similar circumstances, they got an emergency passport.

I am very confused and plan on going to the Passport office on Molesworth street tomorrow morning to see how I can fix the situation. Can anyone suggest exactly what I might need, and can I definitely make a flight in 10 days?

All answers are appreciated,

Many regards,

Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

Hi Boards!

This is my first post so please bare with me. I recently booked a trip to Amsterdam, leaving on the morning of Thursday, May 31st, to see a concert at the famous Melkweg club. I lost my passport last year and quite stupidly, did not report this straight away. I did however report this and go through the process of acquiring a new passport just over 2 weeks ago and had all the required documentation, acquired with the help of a Guard, and sent it away to be processed. I got a letter back this past Friday, with all of my documentation inside, stating that my application could not be processed as the forms of identification were 'uncertified' even though the passport photos provided were new and signed by a member of An Garda Siochana.

Now, I am leaving in 9 days (unincluding today of course) and I have no passport so I am presuming that I will need to get an emergency passport, although no one has actually told me this but I have heard people saying that in similar circumstances, they got an emergency passport.

I am very confused and plan on going to the Passport office on Molesworth street tomorrow morning to see how I can fix the situation. Can anyone suggest exactly what I might need, and can I definitely make a flight in 10 days?

Many regards,

Conor

I had to get one for my son (under 16) in February this year, we were flying on Thursday 9th of Feb, , I realised on the Saturday (4th) that my sons passport was out of date. I got both of ours 5 years prior and completely forgot that his was only valid for 5 years, mine for 10.

Got the required documentation, had more complications than you (presuming you are single with no children) had to get solicitors and so on. Got the documentation into Molesworth St. at 10am on the Monday morning and collected the Passport Wednesday the 8th February.

My advice - check the photos are acceptable, get them taken again and signed again - I did overhear someone there get refused as the photo was not of the standard - so it could be that.

If you satisfy the passport office (and they are great to deal with) then you will have your passport in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Conormurphy19

daltonmd wrote: »
    I had to get one for my son (under 16) in February this year, we were flying on Thursday 9th of Feb, , I realised on the Saturday (4th) that my sons passport was out of date. I got both of ours 5 years prior and completely forgot that his was only valid for 5 years, mine for 10.

Got the required documentation, had more complications than you (presuming you are single with no children) had to get solicitors and so on. Got the documentation into Molesworth St. at 10am on the Monday morning and collected the Passport Wednesday the 8th February.

My advice - check the photos are acceptable, get them taken again and signed again - I did overhear someone there get refused as the photo was not of the standard - so it could be that.

If you satisfy the passport office (and they are great to deal with) then you will have your passport in time.

Thanks a million for taking the time to reply daltonmd! This is very helpful and you are right in your assumptions, I'm only 19! haha.. I will go into the office tomorrow morning so and bring everything with me including new passport photos, I'll get them signed in the morning. Also, is there any fee incurred? Obviously I have already paid the original fee, but do I have to pay anything extra?

Thanks a million for taking the time to reply daltonmd! This is very helpful and you are right in your assumptions, I'm only 19! haha.. I will go into the office tomorrow morning so and bring everything with me including new passport photos, I'll get them signed in the morning. Also, is there any fee incurred? Obviously I have already paid the original fee, but do I have to pay anything extra?

No probs, additional fee is 55 euro on top of the passport fee. As I said, it could be the photos themselves - but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JohnnyDoogue

Replacing a misplaced passport(which was out of date), send it away last week via express and got it returned as the Post Office photcopied my documents and gave them back to me-they wanted the original documents. I need it for the 5th of June to go to the Euros. Think if I go in to the Passport Office and explain the situation with my travel documents I should get a replacement before my travel date? They seem strict!:mad:

Replacing a misplaced passport(which was out of date), send it away last week via express and got it returned as the Post Office photcopied my documents and gave them back to me-they wanted the original documents. I need it for the 5th of June to go to the Euros. Think if I go in to the Passport Office and explain the situation with my travel documents I should get a replacement before my travel date? They seem strict!:mad:

Yes, if you go into them with the correct relevant information and a fee of 55 euros you can order an emergency pp (please see previous post) they will gie you a date, prior to your departure to collect it. I found them great.

Hi Boards!

Now, I am leaving in 9 days (unincluding today of course) and I have no passport so I am presuming that I will need to get an emergency passport, although no one has actually told me this but I have heard people saying that in similar circumstances, they got an emergency passport. Oh, and make sure to bring proof of travel.

Many regards,

Conor

Did you send in photocopies of photo id? Go into the passport office with photographic id, your photos, two forms of address. You do not need an emergency passport, just a sped up normal application. Bear in mind, this can only be done if you do not have two lost (in-date) passports.

Do not get new photos signed and stamped unless you are completing a whole new form, the form number on the photos must match the form submitted.

If you are unsure of anything else, ring the passport office ASAP, they will advise you how best to proceed.

• Advertisement

You should get it back in time. Go in with all original documents, no harm bringing proof of travel as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

Hey guys I have a question -

My passport expired 5 years ago and I just never got it renewed, because I haven't left the country since then. I still have it, but as I was about 16 when the photo was taken in it, and I'm now 24, I look quite a bit different. I want to get a new passport, and I know generally when renewing you send in the old one - will that suffice when it's 5 years out of date and I look a bit different? (Put on weight, hair is a different colour and style).

I don't have ANY other form of photo ID, absolutely none, and that is why I'm trying to get a new passport. Do you think that with my old passport being so out of date, they're going to want some other form of photo ID too?

Also, this doesn't make me a 'First Time Adult Applicant', does it? I don't know if that means an adult who has never had a passport, or simply applying for your first one over the age of 18.

Thanks in advance for any help, my brain is frazzled right now!

Makes no odds just send in the old one.

And yes it is a first time adult application.

Makes no odds just send in the old one.

And yes it is a first time adult application.

No they're not, a first time adult applicant is someone who never had an Irish passport before, they have had one (even though they were under 18).

Less paperwork needed so. :)

Okay that's good to know. I'm still worried about not looking like my old photo (seriously, it's a HUGE difference, I had brown hair tied up and a thin face back then, I now have red hair and a far chubbier face), but I'm hoping as long as I can get a garda to sign my form saying they're happy I am who I say I am that it'll be fine. Just having images of getting a call from the passport office next week (it's an express application) and them being like, 'yeah the old photos and the new photos don't look anything alike and the witness we contacted has skipped the country. Or something.'

Yes I stress out about every tiny thing!

I wouldnt worry too much about it, its a pretty common occurance. Even if you look different, there are characteristics that remain the same. There are people in each office who are experts at this, you'll be fine.

Just to say, got mine sorted, picked it up last Friday.

The fee of 55 euro is extra to the cost of getting the passport btw - so you could be looking at about 140ish for your passport!

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry too much about it, its a pretty common occurance. Even if you look different, there are characteristics that remain the same. There are people in each office who are experts at this, you'll be fine.

Cheers, appreciate your help and kindness, calmed my nerves a lot! :D

• Advertisement

_Roz_ wrote: »
    Cheers, appreciate your help and kindness, calmed my nerves a lot! :D

You're very welcome :)

Actually, as a funny aside, I once processed a passport where the gentlemans previous passport was issued in 1955 and he hadn't had one since. We needed extra ID for that :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement