Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I kinda doubt the Pats will draft a RB. If we re-sign Kevin Faulk we'll have him Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen and Larsen, Fiammetta and Kettani (I think he's back this year?). If we just leave Faulk and cut a FB then we might.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭nerd69

Masked Man wrote: »
    I kinda doubt the Pats will draft a RB in the draft. If we re-sign Kevin Faulk we'll have him Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen and Larsen, Fiammetta and Kettani (I think he's back this year?). If we just leave Faulk and cut a FB then we might.

i agree in one sense but if you get a good rb in that offense tom brady will kill any defense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

nerd69 wrote: »
    i agree in one sense but if you get a good rb in that offense tom brady will kill any defense

I still don't think they'll draft one. Vereen and Ridley were 2nd and 3rd round choices last year. I don't know much about Vereen (assuming he has similar potential) but Ridley seems like he has a big upside.

I still don't think they'll draft one. Vereen and Ridley were 2nd and 3rd round choices last year. I don't know much about Vereen (assuming he has similar potential) but Ridley seems like he has a big upside.

your right cant see bb drafting a rb in the first round anyway im thinking d line or lb

whats with all the hype with vince young this is a man who looked terrible and i mean terrible under andy reid the same andy reid who made kevin kolb, aj feely and jeff garcia look like superstars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

nerd69 wrote: »
    whats with all the hype with vince young this is a man who looked terrible and i mean terrible under andy reid the same andy reid who made kevin kolb, aj feely and jeff garcia look like superstars

Not much hype around Vince Young anymore, he hasnt even had a single FA visit from a team this offseason.

His career has spiraled downwards from Rose Bowl MVP:
    vince-young-rose-bowl.jpg

To drinking straight tequilla topless with a nothing but dudes around him:
    0516_vince_young2-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,329 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Marcus Cannon will also be in line for more snaps at Tackle, so we look well set on the O-Line, particularly if Waters and Light return. A young interior lineman is a possible target in the later rounds.. someone to bring along this year, with a lot of age at the Guard and Center positions currently.
    Forgot to add in my post that it looks like Matt Light is retiring. Still not certain but all the vibes suggest he is.
    I kinda doubt the Pats will draft a RB. If we re-sign Kevin Faulk we'll have him Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen and Larsen, Fiammetta and Kettani (I think he's back this year?). If we just leave Faulk and cut a FB then we might.

Deffo don't think we are going to pick up a RB with an early pick but I think he will bring in one. With RBs its more than likely that they will have a pw or a visit with them before the draft and we have done that with these so far.

OV = official visit, PW = private workout, PD = attended pro day AS = All-Star game contact
    Doug Martin, Boise State (OV, PW, PD)
    Fozzy Whitaker, Texas (PW)
    Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati (PW, PD)
    Travaris Cadet, Appalachian State (AS)
    Chris Rainey, Florida (PW, PD)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

eagle eye wrote: »
    Forgot to add in my post that it looks like Matt Light is retiring. Still not certain but all the vibes suggest he is.

Yeah, most stories coming out seem to indicate that he will retire alright.
    Deffo don't think we are going to pick up a RB with an early pick but I think he will bring in one. With RBs its more than likely that they will have a pw or a visit with them before the draft and we have done that with these so far.

OV = official visit, PW = private workout, PD = attended pro day AS = All-Star game contact
    Doug Martin, Boise State (OV, PW, PD)
    Fozzy Whitaker, Texas (PW)
    Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati (PW, PD)
    Travaris Cadet, Appalachian State (AS)
    Chris Rainey, Florida (PW, PD)

I think the RB situation comes down to how highly BB rates Vereen and Ridley.. has he seen enough in the last year that they can carry the load? If they have not shown enough promise in practice then we'll add another RB from somewhere.

In other news, the Broncos release CB Andre Goodman, and LB Gary Guyton lands in Miami.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just seen this on Twitter:
    Aaron Wilson ‏ @RavensInsider
    Ravens not close to a deal with either QB Joe Flacco or RB Ray Rice. Rice has no plans to report without a new deal. Nothing has changed

Obviously Rice has been franchise tagged, but can he just choose not to report if he doesn't get a deal he's happy with? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yes he can choose not to report

Many players have done it before

Ravens are always patient [some say slow] on signing their players to big deals

Ray Lewis hit free agency before he got a deal
    Suggs was franchised two years in a row
    Last year Ngata waited a number of months for his big deal

I'm not concerned over Rice and if he misses the start of training camp it's not a big deal.

And the front office don't seem concerned, Rice was offered Arian Foster money which seems fair but he and his agent rejected it.
    Rice can wait until July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Yes he can choose not to report

Many players have done it before

Ravens are always patient [some say slow] on signing their players to big deals

Ray Lewis hit free agency before he got a deal
    Suggs was franchised two years in a row
    Last year Ngata waited a number of months for his big deal

I'm not concerned over Rice and if he misses the start of training camp it's not a big deal.

And the front office don't seem concerned, Rice was offered Arian Foster money which seems fair but he and his agent rejected it.
    Rice can wait until July

Cheers for that Mike.

So what happens if he's still not happy with what the Ravens have offered over the next few months, is there a point where his contract states he has to come back, or can he actually just refuse to train or play at all under the tag until he gets what he wants?

I thought he'd definitely accept Foster type money to be honest, maybe he think he can squeeze Peterson type money out of the Ravens, but there's no hope of that. At least there's a template there now with the Foster deal as to what Rice can expect.

How do you think the Flacco contract will pan out, Mike? I'd guess that this offseason will be about getting Rice tied down and then we'll have this whole Rice situation with Flacco this time next year? Or can you see the Ravens getting deals for both done this summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'd expect Rice to miss the first week or so of training camp
    Not a big issue, Cam Cameron is still there so it's not like Rice has to learn a new system.
    Cameron never changes anything, never, ever ever :pac:

And then a deal to be done, Arian Foster money

Ah Joe Cool, I expect it could end of next season for the deal
    Wouldn't be like the Ravens to sign players up early, everything is always dragged out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82877807/article/report-eagles-willing-to-trade-samuel-for-5th-or-6th?module=HP11_content_stream

Getting Asante Samuel for a 5th or 6th rounder seems a no brainer.

An obvious issue is the fact that he is due $21 million over the next 2 years and he is 31.

That being said if I were the other 31 franchises I would be getting in contact with his reps to see if he would be willing to re-work the deal if they traded for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

HigginsJ wrote: »
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82877807/article/report-eagles-willing-to-trade-samuel-for-5th-or-6th?module=HP11_content_stream

Getting Asante Samuel for a 5th or 6th rounder seems a no brainer.

An obvious issue is the fact that he is due $21 million over the next 2 years and he is 31.

That being said if I were the other 31 franchises I would be getting in contact with his reps to see if he would be willing to re-work the deal if they traded for him.

If I was the Patriots I'd like Samuel back right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

matthew8 wrote: »
    If I was the Patriots I'd like Samuel back right now.

I dont think BB likes him all that much...he cant/wont tackle.

BB likes his corners to be big and physical.

i think any team with a zone system should go for him he gives up a big play ever now and again but iv seen him win far more games with picks and pick 6s also hes about as clutch a cb as there is in the league so as a playoff team i want him in my team at the end of the year

Samuel is not worth that money, in fact outside Revis and Asomugha I don't think any corner is worth that money.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Samuel is not worth that money, in fact outside Revis and Asomugha I don't think any corner is worth that money.

i think theres 1 or to teams still under the minimum cap bucks maby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Falcons on the verge of acquiring Asante Samuel for a late round pick apparently, could be a great deal for them

Falcons on the verge of acquiring Asante Samuel for a late round pick apparently, could be a great deal for them

Yea they badly need secondary help. There secondary was awful against us without Grimes

• Advertisement

Where are the Falcons getting the cap space to sign Samuel? I thought they were very close to the limit.

The Packers have released OT Chad Clifton and Safety Nick Collins. Both are due to injuries

Nick Collins was a top player, so sad to see his career end so soon.

Clifton is getting on in years, he was a great player for a long time in the NFL. Some stuff going around that he was cut due to cap space. Apparently he failed a physical.

Seems to be conflicting reports on Collins, Packers saying he cant play anymore and Collins awaiting for confirmation from docs that he is cleared to play.

You hope he doesnt put more than his career at risk to maybe play another year or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

A seventh rounder for Samuel.....what a joke! That is an embarrassing trade for the Eagles regardless of his contract situation I would have wanted us to hold on to Samuel for another season unless we were getting a 2nd or 3 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Couldn't believe it when I saw it in work...can imagine he can still be productive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Seems to be conflicting reports on Collins, Packers saying he cant play anymore and Collins awaiting for confirmation from docs that he is cleared to play.

You hope he doesnt put more than his career at risk to maybe play another year or 2

GM came out today and said that 'they weren't happy to give clearance to play for the Packers'. So I guess it's a case that they couldn't take the risk of further injury. Pity, was a quality player and would've sorted a major part of our secondary if he was completely fit.

frostie500 wrote: »
    A seventh rounder for Samuel.....what a joke! That is an embarrassing trade for the Eagles regardless of his contract situation I would have wanted us to hold on to Samuel for another season unless we were getting a 2nd or 3 and 4.
    All I can guess is they must have been in serious trouble with the cap.

Still don't know how the Falcons got themselves in a position to be able to afford it. They had something like $1.8 million left a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Samuel doesn't fit the new scheme we're looking to run which will require more press coverage. It's a trade that means the owners save 9m. Understandable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It was either cut or trade samuel, in that case any draft pick isn't to bad.

Advertisement