Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For people that leave their dogs home alone during the day

• 09-06-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Right, we all have to work so if you're against leaving a dog at home all day on his/her own it isn't what I'm looking for here, thanks.

Despite being let down 3 times in thinking we had a dog-Pound, someone on here and someone on another site but not to worry, what's done is done-we will hopefully at some stage still get a little dog. There might be the option of a dog going to work with one of us some days but not every day so I want to ask people here who leave their dogs at home alone what do you do to make their life easier and less boring?

Bear in mind we live in an apartment so don't have a garden but the dog would have the run of the apartment (would also hope to train it to a dog litter tray) and would be walked twice a day.

Any tips, ideas etc to make life easier while we are out at work would be much appreciated. We have toys bought but these might become boring fast. We were considering getting two together but I think we're going to settle on one instead, two might be a bit much for an apartment.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

My dog loves being left with toys such as balls and teddy bears oh and my mums slippers. He plays with them for hours. Maybe you could leave the radio on for your dog? It might make the dog feel less lonely hearing human voices. Some dogs like to watch tv its strange but if my dog sees another animal on tv he goes crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

a good hours run before i go out to make sure she is really tired and another one before she goes bed and lots of playing and swinging and playing with friends dogs. tires her out so much she sleeps all day long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

ya mine'l watch tv and bark at other dogs on the tv that bark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Good idea on the radio/TV, hadn't thought about that one :)

Anything else? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Hi Corb,

I know you said you had reconsidered about getting 2 together but having a second dog has made our big fella so much happier during the day. He was on his own for nearly a year for 4 days a week from 9 till 4.30. He got a walk in the morning and one or two more in the evening (one of them being a really big walk). But we still noticied a huge difference in him when we got him a pal!! And really two is as easy as one to look after!!

Kong toys are great...fill em with with peanut butter, soft cheese etc...hours of yummy fun right there!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

my dog is on her own in the house most days and when i get home from work it looks like she's been havin a party :pac: she's very good, as in no damage to furniture or anything but toys and blankets everywhere.
    i find if she has plenty of toys to play with she's happy, esp teddy bears!
    as said above, a good run in the morning and evening is important.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I would second the kongs, they really seem to keep dogs entertained for hours. That and plenty of exercise before and after work. Tired dogs are ususally well behaved dogs. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

She gets a good walk before work, and she gets another one at lunch (maybe a ball throw to really tire her out) and she gets another walk after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Get two dogs. Then there is company and they won't be lonely.
    I ended up with four, but they have the run of the garden. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Having a little playmate (i.e. other dog) for them always works. :)

Never thought of the radio idea, wonder would that work with our shmoggies?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You can get puzzles for dogs such as balls like this that you put dry food in and they have to work to get the food out. So if you decide to feed the dog a breakfast you can put the entire meal in the ball and let them work it for their food.

And there are puzzle boards that you put treats in and the dog has to slide the covers off to get the treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

I have on timers two different radios each comes on at different times.

It used to be Ryan Turbidy, They don't like Pat Kenny,:D. galwaybay FM, One o clock news. Jimmy Norman when he was on the afternoon. Now they listen to Mooney, Joe Duffy etc etc.

Toys and Kongs are ok. But be aware of the extra calories and sugar. You cannot beat a good walk or run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dubrub

Doggie Day care? I send my dog to Doggie Day Care twice a week.
    I drop him off on Tuesday. They really give them loads of activity and this leaves him shattered on Wendesday. He sleeps most of the day then back into Doggie Day Care on Thursday and then he sleeps for most of Friday as well. Do ur own thing with him at the weekend to leave him tired for Monday

I send mine to dogtrainingireland near blanchardstown great value as it is €15 a day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

2 doesn't always work sometimes they are company for each other but depends on how well they get on.

In Germany a lot more people live in apartments compared to here, and many many of them have pets although budgies etc. are popular plenty of people have dogs as well. Once in a routine and regularly walked it's no different than having a terrace house really some apartments aren't small either so it depends. Although a balcony helps (secured with wire if needed) otherwise you have to go out side in your pjs at night.

There are pee trays with training pads you can get.

Perhaps an older pair of dogs that have been living together all their lives might suit. It all depends really on your routine and how long you are gone.

Plenty of people round here have 1/2 acre sites and lock their dogs up in the runs 24/7 that's worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

I have two dogs we both work, but one comes home during lunch and walk them.
    We also give them enough exercise. When I come home during lunch, they are of course really happy to see me, I let them out in the yard, they pee run around a couple of times wait for me to feed them and after that's done they snuggle up on there pillow again and fall asleep.

One dog allone and 8 or 9 hours of loneliness is not a good idea. Only a very well trained dog will not go crazy and start chewing your shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I would agree with other posters about good exercise in the morning before you head to work. Have you considered getting a kitten to keep her company?, I have a dog and we took in a stray cat and the two of them got on brilliantly and were great company for each other, Salem (the cat) even tried to come on walks with us as I think she thought she was a dog! (until she got hit by a car :(). It was far less work than two dogs. Also, would you have any family members or friends that might be able to pop in during the week to take the dog out for a walk sometimes?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

My dog is home alone each day but I do have a back yard (small) but I suppose she can mooch around a bit.
    However I take her for a walk in the morning & it seems that she is quite happy to spend her day in the kennel or if the weather is good on the step by the back door snoozing.
    However it's like party time every evening when I get home.

Thanks a million for the posts. Two dogs isn't really an option. It will be our first time having a dog together so I think one will be enough for now. But will definitely look in to all the tips here thanks, hadn't heard of that Kong toy before, sounds great. The dog would get a visit at lunch time for a quick walk too so at least he/she wouldn't be alone all day without some company. Thanks for the help! :)

Now to actually get a dog! :)

My dog loves Newstalk and a nice few toys to play with:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Any chance of one of you getting home for lunch? I do this and it breaks up their day a bit. I give them their lunch as well and kick a ball around with them/give them some attention before heading off. Saves money on buying/having lunch in work too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bustershark

We wrap little bits of chicken or Crackerjacks up in twists of newspaper and hide them about the house, so our dog has to go hunt for them. We leave them in shoes, behind the couch etc. and try to change where we leave them each day. It's part of the routine when we are leaving the dog in to house that she has to go out into the hallway while we hide some treat and we then give her one directly and tell her to "mind the house". By that stage, she's dying for us to leave so she can start her hunt! We frequently come back to find she hasn't eaten all the treats, but she knows where they are, as she goes and gets them as soon as we come in the door, as if to show off!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

@ bustershark

ha ha that is so funny!! Great idea!! It would just encourage ours to chew our shoes though!!! They are so bold!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭claireloopy

Give them a good walk and they will sleep when your gone. Well thats what we do with our dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sn00ps

Guys, can I ask a question related to this ..

What do you all do if you are planning a night out after work? Is the dog on its own all day and evening too with quick walks in between work and going out?

Do any of you guys do this regularly?

We have plans this evening and it always causes problems as I feel really guilty and arrange for a dog sitter but this sitter isn't always available so I end up cancelling. My OH goes do lally! I'm probably a bit obsessive and this doesn't happen very often, probably once a month ..

Any thoughts?

S

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

yes you do sound a little obsessive;) If its only 1 night then its not that bad. Just bring the dog on a good walk when you get home from work, it will be tired then and will sleep when you are out.

You dont have to put your life on hold because you have a dog, but yes you do have to make sacrifices sometimes and the dog always has to be considered for things like this.
    I cant see why you would need to cancel a night out because of the dog though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

andreac wrote: »
    You dont have to put your life on hold because you have a dog, but yes you do have to make sacrifices sometimes and the dog always has to be considered for things like this.
    I cant see why you would need to cancel a night out because of the dog though.

I need to listen to this advice badly. I work out of an office 2 days a week, and 2 days at home. For some reason, it's the two days I'm in the office, that last min plans seem to pop up. I never ever go. I just couldn't enjoy myself knowing poor harley is alone all day, then all evening too. Even at the weekends, I don't like going out for too long as I feel like he spends long enough alone during the week. It is silly, I know, but I can't help but feel guilty sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I know people who put their dogs into kennels if they are going out for a night out (well a big night out). That way they can go out from work that evening, if necessary and have lie on the next day without feeling guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Actually, a kennell has opened close to us, I haven't seen it, but having spoken to the guy on the phone will be calling up to se it soon. If it's as good as it sounds, we might start doing that too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Corb, if getting a second dog is out of the question, what about getting a cat? We actually got a dog to get our rescue cat company (backwards I know) and they love it. There's a lot less chaotic running around than with two dogs, but they really both thrive on the company. Best thing is to get them while they're both young so neither of them thinks the other is intruding on their space.

Advertisement