Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cowboys

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

Specifically registration of a business name is required if:

an individual uses a business name which differs in any way from his/her true surname. It makes no difference whether the individuals first name or initials are added. So registration is required if, for example, Mr. John Murphy traded as Murphy Builders but NOT if he traded as Murphy or John Murphy);

http://www.cro.ie/ena/business-registration-business-name.aspx
    from the cro website

if I register myself as self employed for vat and tax purposes I do so with revenue . nobody else . I am then legitimate .
    if I want to trade under a different name ( business name ) or incorporate a company , then I must use cro ( company's registration office ) at this point I will then show up on the cro database but not before .

aditionally , if you search for a plumber on the rgii website you might not get him either , as only 3,300 are on the register and at present there is over 15000 registered plumbers .

so as good and indepth as joeys selection procedure is , it is flawed badly as it doesn't take into account a lot of factors

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I noticed a fairly fresh sticker on an old Prima from one of the companies that offer Special Offer Gas Boiler Servicing on one of the discount deal web sites.

I asked about the service, how much and long they took.
    She said.. " He took the cover off, used my vacuum cleaner non it, said thats fine and stuck his sticker on it, it only took him about 15 minutes... was that not ok? she then asked. !!!!

35euro, 15mins tops, no receipt, no analysis reading, no paperwork of any sort.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Got deja vu when I read the last post! Did you not post that comment already elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I accept i was wrong with my assumption that every person in business could be checked. tbh I have never ran into the problem before. I need to look at the way i do things and see if i can do it better.

At this moment in time i cannot think of any other way to verify people as tbh references are not always trustworthy.

If i figure out how to do this i will let you know.

But really i was just showing a possible way to weed out cowboys and even it is not full proof.

On the subject of being a moderator with responsability. Yes maybe so. So i will be bending over the spire at some stage where 50 lashes can be given....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 honestm8

Yes there are lots of dodgy plumbers about. i had some work done by the tile factory outlet. the plumber arrived days late and took days to do very little work. i also overheard him talking on the phone. he was talking about how he hasnt been paid and how the company didnt have money for materials needed to do the job. I was just have my bathroom replaced. a small job with and i paid 50% deposit!! I was so worried. 3 weeks later the job was finished. i was told it would be a 5 day job. tile factory outlet clodalkin AVOID!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

All lists are flawed.

Take the SEAI list on #28.

I know of one person on that who is not a plumber electrician or other. 3 day Fetac course, tax clearance cert and you are on a SEAI installers list. So it gives the impression being on a SEAI list that you are an amazing certified genius and expert in your field because you are registered with the SEAI.

Even if that person was also on a CRO list what would it mean, nothing really still a 3 day wonder.

Also if you were to have a,
    Rate my Plumber,
    Rate my Oftec,
    Rate my RGII,

the only way that would be fair is if you could have,

Rate my customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭pache

Well Said!!

Advertisement