Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The John Murray Show

Options
  • 30-08-2010 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

From September 6, join John Murray each weekday morning from 9.00am to 10 am, Monday to Friday on RTE Radio One

Just heard the promo for the new show... I like John, but that promo is cringeworthy...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Didn't hear it, what are they aiming at?
    Business, current affairs or just tubridy style waffle?
    His Saturday business show was a good show, something similar would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Listeners can expect entertaining, lively conversation and invigorating debate, cut through with John's irreverent and singular style, familiar to fans of Radio 1's The Business. Taking a wry look at ordinary, everyday events and a sideways sweep at the stories all around us, the show promises to be a new intelligent alternative for morning listening.

Should have just posted the rest of the description.. It's up on the website already The John Murray Show

The promo is him supposedly asking "Mr. Obama" a question about his show, and he's then pulled a soundbyte from one of Barrack Obama's speeches... really bad. I'd say he thought it was "cool" when he put it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Heard that promo. cringeworthy

Yeah, he did rely on stupid sound effects for the biz show humour too.

Leave it out John.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

From September 6, join John Murray each weekday morning from 9.00am to 10 am, Monday to Friday on RTE Radio One

I didn't hear it but if that's the exact wording of it, whoever scripted it should be ("given a friendly yet disdainful and somewhat emotionless thump" - Ed.)

TOO MANY WORDS!... "each weekday morning" AND "Monday to Friday" eh? Should have left one of them out, clearly...

('Ed' comments (c)Copyright AmigaPower magazine. Used to self edit & hide/'humourise' what I really wanted to say...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The Flutt will be putting the broad thumb on the off button as soon a JMs Doob accent contaminates the 'hairwaves.

No way bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Poly wrote: »
    Yeah, he did rely on stupid sound effects for the biz show humour too.

Leave it out John.

It's funny, I hated those wacky bits on that business show for ages, but then they just started to grow on me.

I think he's got a lot of goodwill on his side, and listeners will forgive a lot but I hope he doesn't feel under pressure - now that he's been liberated from the newsroom - to show a 'zany' side.

He's got a good sense of humour - there's no need for sound effects...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anyone listen, I couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

mike65 wrote: »
    Did anyone listen, I couldn't.
    Has he started? I thought it was still Gavin Duffy and he's a bit pompous and patronising for me at that time of the morning.

Another ad for the show today, this time with sound bytes pulled from an interview with Simon Cowell..... tacky and amateur... Hope his doesnt bring this "humour" to the actual show..

• Advertisement

This show will not succeed, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

The fact that it's on between 'Morning Ireland' and 'Today with PK' will be enough for it to be declared a success, regardless of quality.

It will help Mr tarmac, but won't save what I think is going to be a non runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Tuned into this mornings show, thought it was very good, Derbhal O'Rourke seems really cool and that quartet were awesome.
    Anyone know how last week went?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Poochie05

It only started yesterday. Last week was Gavin Duffy in that slot.
    I've only heard the first 30-40 minutes yesterday and today but liked what I heard so far. At bit like his style for The Business on Saturday mornings, but covering wider range of things. His interview with Conrad gallagher yesterday was very good and I enjoyed listening to Derabhal O'Rourke this morning. Hopefully it will continue in this vein.

I like Murray, but I'm now torn between Yates new format on newstalk and radio1, alot of channel hopping in the 9-10 slot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

Enjoying the show, its fast moving, hes a good interviewer, the gingle gets played a bit too much though. All in all i find myself keeping the station on RTE 1 after morning Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Enjoying the show, its fast moving, hes a good interviewer, the gingle gets played a bit too much though. All in all i find myself keeping the station on RTE 1 after morning Ireland.

sorry, good interviewer? were you listening to bertie aherns interview? he was just short of giving him a kiss
    how do you think that was a good interview?

he was interviewing him relation to his personal review of a book, it wasnt a hard pressing questions interview.
    I dont believe the programme is designed to do that, otherwise what would Pat Kenny do at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

the actual book review asted about five minutes.
    the rest of the "interview" was a canvassing advertisement for bertie to run for presidency.
    no problem asking about ivor callaghey!

then rte should have had bertie on the likes of pat kenny show, not that he's have been any harder on him, in my opinion.
    asking him to review a book? that's a pathetic excuse to get him on.

• Advertisement

Ahh i dont know, maybe try getting out of bed on the otherside tomorrow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I liked this morning's show. In fairness to Murray the show is supposed to be more light-hearted than others, thus the lightweight interview. I'm sure that Bertie wouldn't have agreed to do a heavy hitting interview in the first place, he hasn't done any of those since he left office.

One particular thing I like about the show is that it deviates from the 'set piece' nature of other shows. It isn't as fixed (ie, Interview person A, interview group B, interview person C). The schedule seems a bit more fluid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Early days, but I have enjoyed it so far. Murray comes across as a likeable chap, the pace of the show is good, and he doesn't suffer from the affliction that many in radio centre seem to have - the "my opinion of the topic is more important than the people who have been invitied in to speak about it".

Duffyitis I think it is called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Listening to it now. To be honest, I think its a bit naff. When I first started listening to it, I thought I had clicked on the wrong link and was listening to 2FM. He has more of a 2FM voice.

I'll reserve judement until I have heard all of it, but so far I give it 5 out of 10.

The text-in competition which of these three rock songs do you want to play before the end of the show is daft. They have repeated the instructions and clips of the songs so much, that they could have just played the 3 songs by now.

Not liking this female author much either. She sounds bitter.

syklops wrote: »
    Not liking this female author much either. She sounds bitter.

Thought the interview with Sheila O'Flanagan was quite good. He's certainly a lot brighter and funnier than the previous presenter.

Murray really has to learn to wait for that damned jingle to end fully before atempting to speak!

mike65 wrote: »
    Murray really has to learn to wait for that damned jingle to end fully before atempting to speak!

I wish he'd change it completely.. I find the stop/start nature (i.e. the guy's guitar delay pedal) disorienting first thing in the morning... Keep thinking my speakers are broken ..

The opening 5 mins of 'amusing' riffing makes me cringe and die a little inside, I bail out every time so I have no idea if the show is any good right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

used to listen to tubridy every morning waiting for pat the planks show but i cant stand this guy. he was good on business show but its a bit cringeworthy at times so ray darcy gets me for an hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement