Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ads that say vat reclaimable

• 03-07-2007 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

When I am searching the websites, if it does not say "vat reclaimable" does this mean the vehicle does not qualify. Also, to qualify for the VAT exemption, is it either 6000kms or 6 months old or does it have to have 6000kms and be 6 months old. Also, do the dealers just not charge the VAT or do they charge you and then you have to reclaim it in some way ? I would really appreciate some clarification on this because try as I might to research it , I just can't seem to get this information written down anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

On the 6 / 6000 rule I'm 95% certain that its both.

As for reclaiming VAt, I have no experience (maybe somebody else has?).
    Under EU law you have to pay VAT once (as a private buyer) but only once.

So there are ways and means to get it back if they made you pay twice.
    Usually involves quite a lot of hassle and red tape.

I always took it that dealers who advertise "reclaimable VAT" have done it before, know what it takes and assist you with it.

I know of some German dealers that on export can get you a VAT exemption ...so you don't have the hassle afterwards.

But I would reckon that would always be a matter that has to be sorted (possibly in writing) before you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

Thanks again. I have just realised that I have misunderstood the whole VAT exemption thing. I was under the mistaken impression that if I bought a vehicle abroad and it was over 3500 kgs., over 6months old and over 6,000kms. that the dealer would not charge me vat and that I would import the vehicle and only pay 50 euro VRT plus the 3% vat difference between Germany and here.

Ah well ...it's nice to daydream every now and then :D:D

So to clarify:
    As aprivate buyer you pay VAT when you buy (wherever that may be). If what you bought is under 6 months/6000 km you pay VAT again when you bring it into Ireland and then may claim back the original (foreign) VAT.

VRT is a different issue. You pay that on every import (as an Irish citizen)
    13.5 % of the open market selling price (as grossly over-estimated by someone in Rosslare) if it' under 3 tons unladen ...€50 if it's over.

My daydream has turned into a nightmare! You make it easy to understand - and if the vehicle has over 6,000 kms and over 6months old then I only pay the additional 3% to Irish customs and claim nothing back . Is this correct ?

No ...actually that's the only bit of good news !

If the vehicle is over the 6 / 6000 and you paid your VAT on the point of sale within the EU ...you don't have to pay again in Ireland.

Not 21%, not 3% (or whatever the difference may be) ...nothing :)

(on the other hand should you buy somwhere that has a higher VAT rate, you don't get anything back either)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info. Must get surfing those sites again or I will never get on the road.

To summarize:

It makes most financial sense to import a motorhome that is:
    - older than 6 months / 6000 km, so you don't have to pay Irish VAT
    - heavier than 3 tons unladen, so you only pay 50€ VRT
    - younger than ten years, so you avoid the engineers report for the insurance
    (but that shouldn't really be a problem if you have to get one)

Yes, that makes good sense. Will follow those suggestions when searching. Really appreciate your help.

And don't forget about your max weight !

If you only have a B licence that's 3500 kg gross vehicle weight ...i.e. fully laden.

Doesn't leave much choice when you're looking for something over 3000 kg unladen and trying to stay legal and not overload it.
    (water, gas, people, food, clothes ...it all adds up quickly)

Just to make your life that bit more difficult :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

I want to buy a 2007 Nissan navara crew cab, somebody told me I can only claim back 20% of the total vat I pay on it. This sounds ridiculous , but I'm afraid that it might be correct ? Does anyone know ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement