Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Generator

• 16-04-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Does anybody know a place to get a good 240 VAC petrol generator, want something quitish that can power a few lights, 12V TV, toaster and maybe microwave (not all at the same time:)) Also is there a make/model out there that would be highly recommended. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

Just starting myself, but I believe the 'honda suitcase generator' is popular
    7405491.jpg
    Plenty on sale in the UK, for instance, this

Presumably you need a 12V for charging your battery no?
    Heres one that does 12v and 240v new

heres something cheap off ebay, no 12v though

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

Thanks jinghong, have been looking around and Honda seems best alright. The Honda EU20i gets great reviews and is not that noisy but the price new is €1000+ does anyone know where to get a second hand one of these? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 doubledecker

hey... I've had one of these for a few years now... no problems at all, and super silent, light, and easy to store... and cheaper than the honda's.

Link:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IG2000-KIPOR-SUITCASE-DIGITAL-PETROL-GENERATOR-SILENT_W0QQitemZ120555471891QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators_ET?hash=item1c11aa8413

Hope this helps your decision...

hey... I've had one of these for a few years now... no problems at all, and super silent, light, and easy to store... and cheaper than the honda's.

Link:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IG2000-KIPOR-SUITCASE-DIGITAL-PETROL-GENERATOR-SILENT_W0QQitemZ120555471891QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators_ET?hash=item1c11aa8413

Hope this helps your decision...

Hi Doubledecker, have just ordered one of these. Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

Just ordered one of these. €100 delivered
    Don't expect much from it in terms of efficiency or noise (not saying its good or bar), just using it as a backup for the solar panels. I notice it is around 18kg, about 6kg heavier than a good suitcase genny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Anyone ever use the Lidl ones? Bought one a few years ago but havent had to use it yet, anyone ever used it? Is there much to connecting it up to caravan??

Also just curious if anyone ever plugging one into their house in the event of powercut - ok I know it wouldnt power more than a few lights but that of itself wouldnt be too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Bought a cheap 600W Lidl generator a couple of years ago (two stroke) for about €80 I think. Started it once - too noisy and smoky to use if anybody else is parked nearby IMHO. Put it in the locker of the MH overnight and it filled the van with petrol fumes. Siphoned the petrol out and used it for the chainsaw. It's in the garage now next to the 8 Foot Dinghy and electric spray gun. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

jinghong wrote: »
    I notice it is around 18kg, about 6kg heavier than a good suitcase genny

The would be the recycled pig iron vs alloy head.

2 stroke is a balls

Hi all, had purchased a kipor ig2000 back in 2010 and have used once while camping. Started it once a month always just to check all OK. Started it a while back and overload led came on with nothing connected. No power at output, so got in touch with UK "service" agent who said invertor board gone and that it costs nearly as much as I paid for generator. Anybody have advice here, repair etc as this thing is practically new...still keep it in the original packaging :( Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

vinniem wrote: »
    Hi all, had purchased a kipor ig2000 back in 2010 and have used once while camping. Started it once a month always just to check all OK. Started it a while back and overload led came on with nothing connected. No power at output, so got in touch with UK "service" agent who said invertor board gone and that it costs nearly as much as I paid for generator. Anybody have advice here, repair etc as this thing is practically new...still keep it in the original packaging :( Thanks

Invertor board kind of covers practically all the electronics.
    Kinda like saying "car is broken".

If you know someone handy with an oscilloscope and multimeter they might be able to isolate the problem.
    Marty.

• Advertisement

Hi Marty, thanks. Basically there is only one electronics board in a petrol generator and that unfortunately is the invertor board, its also convered in black mastic type substance due to the explosion potential of petrol so not alot can be done regarding troubleshooting. Pity because engine and everything else is perfect and hardly used, probably only one component on board gone but cant replace components only full card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

vinniem wrote: »
    Hi Marty, thanks. Basically there is only one electronics board in a petrol generator and that unfortunately is the invertor board, its also convered in black mastic type substance due to the explosion potential of petrol so not alot can be done regarding troubleshooting. Pity because engine and everything else is perfect and hardly used, probably only one component on board gone but cant replace components only full card.

Gotcha...
    One thing you could try is a quick run around the underside of board with soldering iron.
    Re sweat the joints.., you may have a dry joint, I'd try this before binning it.
    Is it a heavy layer of gunk???.... Can you see components??
    Can usually trouble shoot from underside, the non surface mounted components at least to some extent.
    Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Probably can't access the solder side either as its probably potted in a container, is it rubbery potting compound (silicone) or epoxy, you can remove the silicone stuff with silicone eater, epoxy is almost impossible. Is it mechanical or electronic governor? Would be about a fraction of the price to get a clapped out one to cannibalise for parts. The kippor ones seem to be very soft so I wouldn't invest money in replacing like for like.

Thanks Martyc & Moodrator, will have a look but would doubt would be access to rear solder joints due to I.S. stuff. Its the hard black stuff (epoxy resin i think?) Which covers most of components and contacts, top of components not covered. Yeah Kipors are soft, in fact they are pure ****e...now I know why they are a fraction of the Honda's! Cheap Chineese copies are just not worth it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Related question:

Is a standalone generator much cheaper than leaving your camper/car engine running? Does anyone have consumption figures for the Honda briefcase? My OBC reads 0.9l/hr @ 900RPM idle (1.50 euro an hour), can't imagine it being much greater under a small load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

david wrote: »
    Related question:

Is a standalone generator much cheaper than leaving your camper/car engine running? Does anyone have consumption figures for the Honda briefcase? My OBC reads 0.9l/hr @ 900RPM idle (1.50 euro an hour), can't imagine it being much greater under a small load.

Most engines take an age to warm up at idle speed - if they warm up at all - cold idling is bad due to reduced circulation and increased viscosity of the oil.
    With some engines you'll have issues with carbon too.
    Add to that idle fuel consuption is higher when cold and also turbo seals can leak at idle the oil ending up in the cat.
    Huge report released by WHO in June puts diesel fumes in the group 1 catergory of carinogens - think asbestos and passive smoking.
    http://press.iarc.fr/pr213_E.pdf

The honda newer honda briefcase generator claims to run 10.5 hours a tank of 4.1l so basically 0.4l/h at quarter load.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 michealfla

My name is Michael Flaherty, in question with two kipor Generators I have, I myself have a small workshop and I have two kipor generators IG2600. Both of these machines are in overload. The overload light is on, surprisingly one of the machines is very difficult to pull the starting cord, if I unplug the unit below the petrol tank the engine be normal to pull/start. I have no way of checking these units, and I'm reaching out to you for some advice, if you could I would be really appreciative for your advice. Are these machines worth repairing? Or how can I repair them?

What load are you using to check them, are you getting any voltage at all out?
    The service manual is here with some voltages you can check for the inverter:
    http://www.kiporpowersystems.com/pdf/service/IG2600~1.PDF
    Hard to pull could just be the valve clearances.

You can get crappy chinese copies of the inverters on aliexpress, might be worth a punt if they're your own generators for a customer I wouldn't bother.

I'm having the same issue myself. I've a 2-stroke gene outputing 320Vac due to it's former proprietor using it to weld on.
    I agree from what I've seen it's only marginally cheaper to fix it as it is to buy a new gene.

Check out the video here;
    http://generatorguru.com/avr-variations/

there's a link mentioned in the above to troubleshooting the AVR.

The cheapest I can find for a new similar genie is www.screwfix.co.uk
    Because they only serve the UK you have to remote log in to the website using www.hidemyass.com and possibly parcel motel it overseas.
    They've a 2-stroke, 700watt genie for £120 I think I remember, website is down for maintenance at the moment.

Given the logistics of this or the expense of repairs I'm inclined to get a 100watt solar kit instead.
    It's twice the cost initially but it's silent, clean, excellent for battery maintenance. There's no upkeep costs of petrol and 2-stroke oil. No additional storage requirements of an offline genie and jerry cans, no petrol vapours leaking through the place.

Calculating solar's 60ah delivery per day (aprox), vs the genie's 4 hours of mains per tank at 91dB and plenty of exhaust emissions.
    There's a fairly obvious winner.
    The gene will provide power on demand greater than the solar but the fact that solar is consistently working in the downtime I'm betting with ample battery storage there will be negligible difference.

Factoring in the benefits of having the batteries receiving charge daily and being maintained at charged capacity should also extend the lifespan of the batteries giving a further saving in not having to replace the batteries as frequently.

I'm having the same issue myself. I've a 2-stroke gene outputing 320Vac due to it's former proprietor using it to weld on.
    I agree from what I've seen it's only marginally cheaper to fix it as it is to buy a new gene.

Check out the video here;
    http://generatorguru.com/avr-variations/

there's a link mentioned in the above to troubleshooting the AVR.

The cheapest I can find for a new similar genie is www.screwfix.co.uk
    Because they only serve the UK you have to remote log in to the website using www.hidemyass.com and possibly parcel motel it overseas.
    They've a 2-stroke, 700watt genie for £120 I think I remember, website is down for maintenance at the moment.

Given the logistics of this or the expense of repairs I'm inclined to get a 100watt solar kit instead.
    It's twice the cost initially but it's silent, clean, excellent for battery maintenance. There's no upkeep costs of petrol and 2-stroke oil. No additional storage requirements of an offline genie and jerry cans, no petrol vapours leaking through the place.

Calculating solar's 60ah delivery per day (aprox), vs the genie's 4 hours of mains per tank at 91dB and plenty of exhaust emissions.
    There's a fairly obvious winner.
    The gene will provide power on demand greater than the solar but the fact that solar is consistently working in the downtime I'm betting with ample battery storage there will be negligible difference.

Factoring in the benefits of having the batteries receiving charge daily and being maintained at charged capacity should also extend the lifespan of the batteries giving a further saving in not having to replace the batteries as frequently.

Total annual solar insolation ireland - 900-1200 kwh/m2

100w panel = approx 0.5m2

450 - 600k kwh total to be captured

Panel efficiency 12-14% say 14%

63 - 80kwh per year

Lead acid charging efficiency 70%

44kwh - 56kwh = 10 - 12.8Ah per day annual average.

May/June/July Dublin 5kwh/m2/day

5 x .5 x .14 x .7 = 0.245kwh = 20Ah per day summer average.

In reality there will be dust, algae etc on the panel and/or the orientation will be less than ideal and the solar insolation will be at levels too low to produce a charging voltage at times so the average would be even less.

Still you'd probably be running a smally generator for an hour or two depending on your charger to put that in your batteries so if you're not near a hookup its still an upgrade.

• Advertisement

Thats cheap. I found a good real world example for the solar, guy in west cork has 2.67kw pv array, his average for the last 12 months is 1895kwh which works out at 16.6Ah per day per 100w of panel less 30% loss in leadacid charging = 11.3Ah per day in batteries. And these panel would be optimally inclined and orientated, flat on the roof of a motorhome will be less.

I think this guy makes some simple fair points

http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/the-rv-battery-charging-puzzle-2/

Advertisement