Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing system

Options
  • 10-03-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have an office with a server about 4 years old (dell 300 gb)there were 6 pc's connected to the server but now there is only the requirement for one PC in the office and occasional laptop.(A sign of the times).

The files are general office files,nothing complex mainly word, emails on outlook and Microsoft access

So my problem is the server is now very slow to respond needing constant restarts and deleting of old files so what are my options.

My thinking was just to get a back up hard drive and work off that.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

Are you the business owner or the IT guy !?

Can you try unplugging the network cable at the back of the server and see if you can work without a server ! :)

I guess,you'll have on the server:
    -file sharing,where most / all of the files are been stored
    -printer sharing,i guess a network directly connected.
    -email / Exchange ?

The option to move away from server is to :

-copy files on a removable hard drive AND get another drive bigger in size and few USB keys.The removable drive will get you weekly/monthly backups of the working drive and the usb keys quick snapshots of your data.Very messy...

-the printer can be connected / installed on your PC or laptop,via USB or network TCP/IP

-Email,can be POP3/IMAP PC to ISP or can be managed by your server by Exchange Server.Hard to move it away via boards.ie,it needs call out,checking config of your email MX records,data transfer.

My friendly advise is to focus in fixing the server and keep using it and hoping for business recovery,with the proper daily/weekly/monthly IT management on disks,backup,antivirus,updates and so on.
    DELL 300 gb ... not familiar with the specs but i guess it may need a 1-2 hours health check-up,it could be System Partition C filling with Windows Updates / SQL logs/ Windows Updates or other OS related processes...can be IIS logs fulfilling your drive C: !

If you're Dublin based,i can run a FoC 1 hour health check for you,as parts of boards members and with no commitment .

Have fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭pavb2

Thanks C.a.d. I'm the business owner not IT guy.

The office is in Wexford my wife runs,it she seems to think it could be Dropbox backing up all the time?

I think it will work unplugging the network cable but our database uses Microsoft access which is on the server.

If I stick with the server Are there any programs I could run to clean it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Thanks.

Option 1:
    Try disconnecting the internet cable (phone or Ethernet) from the router side,not the server,leave the server connected to a switch OR router but internet disconnected !
    Try using the server local mode only for few hours ,see if that makes a difference for server or local PCs !

Option 2:
    watch / hear the server box for any strange noises ! Constant hard drive sipinnign or heads "scratching" the drives means a hardware or software issue !

Option 3:
    Restart the server in the morning,see if that makes a difference !

Option 4:
    Try opening the server case and with power off do a clean up of the fans,very careful,...hold the fans while you hover them !
    Power on the server and see if some or one or all of them are dead !

Option 5:
    Clean Event Viewer,restart the server,go back in Event Viewer and see if is anything with red icons in System (hardware errors related) or Applications (software related errors).

Option 10 out of 10...
    Call a local IT guy to have a look at it !
    I can do a remote session with you but is not the same like been there ! :)

Enjoy IT ...

Advertisement