Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Beef Discussion Group

• 20-04-2012 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the Boards.ie Beef Discussion Group. This group is open to any Beef or Suckler Farmer whether you are a member of a Beef Discussion group (BTAP) or not.
    The aim of this group is the same as the BTAP groups:
    To try to increase the performance and output of your herd
    And in turn try to improve your profit.

It would be nice if this group could work in the same way as the BTAP groups - Choose specific topics for different weeks. Maybe some people could also write a piece on a specific topic that they have knowledge on such as BVD or Herd Health plans etc.

Each week we will choose a topic that we can discuss for 1 week and every week we will try to move to a new topic. So, towards the end of every week, people can suggest topics for the following week.

We will try not to make it a question and answer thread - we have enough threads for that already. Far more information could be gained by having it as a discussion thread where people detail how they do things on their farm in relation to the weekly topic.

Farming and Forestry Charter applies

No advertising, no shilling, no promotion, nothing illegal.

If you are looking to chat, go to chit chat. Lets make this thread about information that works.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Aim of Programme

To encourage Best Management Practice on Beef Farms

Participation gives Knowledge & Skills to:

- Increase Performance & Output of Herd
    - Increase Profitability of Farm

There is €5 million Exchequer Funding in 2012 and this fund will be divided among the total number of farmers approved to join the programme.

3 Year Programme

Application required each year

Administration

• 20 members max in Discussion Group

• Groups formed by Facilitator.

• Participant must fulfil Terms & Conditions
    before end October or else Ineligible.

• Maximum payment is €1,000

• Suckler Farmers currently in AWRBS + applied
    to join ICBF HerdPlus by 7th March
    or

• Non Suckler Farmers who have applied to join
    ICBF HerdPlus before 7th March.

• If finishing animals �� must be in or applied to
    BQAS before 7th March/be BQAS member by
    31st October + have finished 15 cattle minimum
    in 2011.

Focus on 5 Areas:

1. Grassland Management

2. Animal Breeding/Welfare

3. Herd Health

4. Producing for Market Requirements

5. Financial Management

Task 1 – Complete Teagasc ProfitMonitor –

Mandatory – complete in Year 1 or 2

Task 2 – Provide On Farm Certified Weights
    to ICBF

Task 3 – Genetic Merit of Herd –
    - Use 5 Star AI on 25% of herd or
    - Participate in Gene Ireland or
    - Use 5 star stock bull (1 Year) or
    - Use 4+ star heifers for fertility or milk (2013)

Task 4 - Soil Test Whole Farm (1 Year only)
    - max. of 8ha per sample
    - stocking rate < 170 kgs/ha

Task 5 - Reseed 10% + of farm
    - recommended grass mixture
    - lime/fertiliser recommendations

Task 6 - Herd Health Plan
    - Need Vet
    - Join voluntary BVD Eradication Programme
    this year if choosing task now.

Task 7 - Online Calf Registration & SFP (1 Year only)
    - Register all calf births online and
    - Maintain DAF herd register online and
    - Apply for SFP online

Task 8 - Improved Grazing (1 Year only)
    - Put in a rotational grazing system in place
    - Minimum of 6 grazing divisions per grazing group
    - Each division must have its own water supply

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks Reilig, can I suggest that we talk about fencing, water troughs and paddock layout the first week?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

are you going to open it up to menbers who didnt get in on the BTAP Program?

Ah lads, I think some people have taken it up wrong. This isn't an official Dep of Ag Discussion Group. Its a private boards.ie group. Its open to anyone who feels that they will benefit from it, whether they have been accepted for the BTAP programme or not. It costs nothing to be involved in this online discussion, nor do you get any payment for it - only extra profits by implementing some of the measures (well that's the plan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

nor do you get any payment for it - only extra profits by implementing some of the measures
    Something like the other one.
    Great idea reilig. whats the first topic then?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

I don't normally post on here, I don't even know why tbh, but anyway I think this is a great idea. Fair play reilig for starting it up. Often times in farming tis hard to know how to improve things or where to start making improvements, tis should be such a resource for lads on here.

Thanks

Michael

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jimskoda

what are the best bulls for heifers? simmentalx friesian and hereford x friesian? has anyone used the simmental easy calfer huz

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

jimskoda wrote: »
    what are the best bulls for heifers? simmentalx friesian and hereford x friesian? has anyone used the simmental easy calfer huz

Welcome to boards Jimskoda!! I think you should post your question in a separate tread, you'I get more reponses ;)

Reilig, is today or tomorrow the start date for this 'discussion group'? :D

I think you should take on the role of discussion group facilitator and make the decisions regarding what and when topics are to be discussed or your idea, as excellent and all as it is, is going to loose focus and momentum.

Can I also suggest that there be a 'buy in' from everyone checking this tread. Ie. everyone try to give as much as they take from it :rolleyes: ;) I think this is the way most discussion groups work.... in theory anyway

The topic for discussion this week is around Task 8

"Task 8 - Improved Grazing (1 Year only)
    - Put in a rotational grazing system in place
    - Each division must have its own water supply"

Our discussions will focus on fencing, water troughs and paddock layouts.

What are the benefits of this task?

Have you already got a paddock system in operation for your suckler/beef herd?

Will you choose this measure?

How will you fence?

How will you provide a water supply?

If anyone has any photographs, feel free to post them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

ok will start, i have a paddock system in place from the dairy operation ,35 acres divided into 21 paddocks ,all with own water supply,out farms all sub divided into paddocks as well , biggest area is 14 acres for silage,all other areas or fields 4-5 acres ,105 acres farmed all rented[including home ],all areas have there own watersupply.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

I also have a paddock system in place since the dairy,all the main paddocks are no more than 3 acres all with their own water supply,i have a few bigger fields then i split with temporary stakes and cord and i do all the meadows this way after the silage,but id love to hear different opinions on plastic throughs and temporary water supplies..

Ours is slightly different to leg wax. Farming 130 acres, but we suffer from small field syndrum and it would be uneconomical to divide small fields into paddocks. However, I suppose each field would count as a paddock. We have 32 fields in total. The largest is our main silage block and is 22 acres. The smallest is about 2 acres. We also have a further 20 acres of silage ground in fields of various sizes. The main block of silage ground, when aftergrass is being grazed is usually divided into 4 using temporary electric posts and has water in each of the 4 divisions.

We recently made creep gaps from each field to the next. Here we will erect creep gates so that calves can forward graze in front of the cows. We also upgraded our water pipeling from 1/2" light duty installes in the early 1980's to 1/2" heavy duty and we are repositioning our drinkers on new concrete pads.

The main advantage that I see to a paddock system is that every couple of days, your cows will have fresh grass.

Our biggest development this year is the introduction of the forward grazing for calves in all fields. Hopefully this will increase thrive in calves and mean that we have less creep meal to feed.

On a more unusual option for water supply, I mentioned in the past that I have a pasture pump. Its located in a field that has no water supply and it feeds from a 5m 15" Corripipe buried in the ground. Its in the lowest part of the field and has never run out of water yet. With the introduction of water metering and charges in this area, this is an option that I will be considering for other fields also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Reilig,
    Can young calves drink from the pasture pump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Do people find that cattle are less content or more content in paddocks??

From our experience we found that once they got the habit of being moved regularly then they wanted to be moved before they needed to be moved and ended up walking along the wire - especially in poorer weather. They just became discontent so easy in the paddocks we found. So no paddocks for our cattle now

Maybe sucklers are different but wondering what ye think?

pakalasa wrote: »
    Reilig,
    Can young calves drink from the pasture pump?

Anything over 2 months can drink from it.

• Advertisement

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Do people find that cattle are less content or more content in paddocks??

From our experience we found that once they got the habit of being moved regularly then they wanted to be moved before they needed to be moved and ended up walking along the wire - especially in poorer weather. They just became discontent so easy in the paddocks we found. So no paddocks for our cattle now

Maybe sucklers are different but wondering what ye think?

I know where you are coming from, but i don't find it to be too much of a problem.

One huge advantage to moving them on a weekly basis is their docility. Handling makes them quiet. they are trained that once you open the gate, they come out. Its very handy for AI also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Someone on here mentioned that about Ai alright. They had a paddock system and internal roads from their Dairying days. Once they opened the paddock gate, the cows came strainght out onto the road. No bother then run them into a yard for AI.

Backgound
    This year is the first year that I am making a major commitment to paddock grazing. Mostly drystock this year, only a handful for AI.. so no excuses:rolleyes:

Stock would always have been rotated, but the farm would have been in 3- 4 big divisions as opposed to paddocks. Each division would have had a 'runback' to the yard for AI'ing.

New additions
    In the last month I have erected about 3km of permanent electric fencing. Most of this is main boundary. What has this got to do with paddocks? Well my thinking is that it's no good trying to get cattle to eat paddocks bear and them eyeing up the grass in the neighbours! :D Also it is facilating the breakup of fields into paddocks with temp fencing. I have more confidence in the rattle being brought to every corner of the farm. The plastic stakes and tying wire that was being used around boundary is now being used to create new paddock divisions at no extra cost ;)

I was lucky enough to have worked briefly with a fencing contractor years ago, and so was able to erect alot of the fence myself. A digger and driver were got in for 2days to clean back briars and set stakes.

Fencing
    One row of HT wire was used set at ~850mm. I used wooden pressure treated stakes and old concrete stakes I found hidden in corner of yard. I am lucky that the majority of my land is flat. Stakes were spaced between 25m and 30m and I used as long strains as possible (~300m) when erecting the wire. With a long strain you take advantage of the elasticity in the wire. The wire is taught enough so as not to sag, but still has a great spring in it. If a bush/tree were to fall or cattle were to run into it, it will 'give' and not snap.

PI81_pinlock_wood_post_insulator.jpg
    These are the PEL insulators that I have used on the wooden posts. My plan is that I will be able to pull the pins and drop the wire to the floor if hedge needs to be cut. But I'm hoping that if I leave the hedge alone it will go bare in the bottom and earthing problems should be few.

I tried tec7 to stick these to concrete stakes...FAIL:D. So I cut 6" lengths of old 1/2" hydrodare offcuts as insulators and fixed to stakes with tying wire.

Water
    I buried ~200m of HD 1'2" hydrodare and fitted 3 additional water troughs in an 8acre field away from house. It is serviced by a group water scheme. Paddocks that are only serving one paddock (both sides of trough in paddock), I only used JFC DT30. DT90 gallon used in middle of a large field to service 4 paddocks. The field is now divided into 6 paddocks. This suits my farm and stocking size. Obviously paddock and trough size will be different for bigger farmers.

Pictures speak louder than words. I hope to put pics up of fencing (permanent and temp), water troughs and paddocks we are using this year. Just bear with me. Might be towards end of the week. Is Sunday the last day so to post on this topic Reilig?

Muckit wrote: »
    Is Sunday the last day so to post on this topic Reilig?

I don't see any reason why we can't add to the discussion of a topic at any time. But next monday we will go on to a new topic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

reilig wrote: »

I would advocate a much lower number, for the last few years here anyway summer has disappeared and it has being all either spring or autumn grazing conditions. Cattle need space in harsh conditions unless you want to be moving cattle every 24 hrs. If you are going paddocking fields make sure each paddock has some shelter from the prevailing wind.

reilig wrote: »
    I don't see any reason why we can't add to the discussion of a topic at any time. But next monday we will go on to a new topic as well.

Excellent Reilig. I just might not get to take photos on this topic this week. Alot on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

As Tipp Man and bob charles have said, paddocks have pluses and minuses.
    My cattle "walk the wire" too, but usually only when they can see you.
    Agree with reilig that the benefits are docility and much easier handling, but then they are seeing more of you and usually for a good reason...fresh grass:D.
    Shelter is main problem and it can play hell with a rotation if you only have a few sheltered paddocks. As an elderly neighbour said, "There's no shelter behind a string of wire!" This Spring has seen me have to move youngstock back to recently grazed paddocks just to get away from the NW wind. Last Autumn it was the E wind. I seem to be set up for SW mainly:)
    To counter this I put in permanent fencing with hedging in the middle of one larger paddock this Spring. Hope to have shelter there in a few years.
    Main benefit of paddocks is grass growth/management, but this can be done easily enough with temporary fencing.
    Great thread to start, reilig, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭cjpm

Muckit wrote: »
    Water
    I buried ~200m of HD 1'2" hydrodare and fitted 3 additional water troughs in an 8acre field away from house.

Half inch?? Or inch and a half?

We have stopped using 3/4 inch hosing, 1" all the way now.

Half inch is only used for drinkers in the shed, sure it's even useless at driving cows... Have used a fair bit of it fencing although someone here posted that it conducts electricity!!! :eek::confused:

cjpm wrote: »
    Half inch?? Or inch and a half?

We have stopped using 3/4 inch hosing, 1" all the way now.

Half inch is only used for drinkers in the shed, sure it's even useless at driving cows... Have used a fair bit of it fencing although someone here posted that it conducts electricity!!! :eek::confused:

half inch. It's not the size but what you do with it cjpm :rolleyes: This is only in the one field away from house. Good pressure, short distance and there will only ever be one trough being served at a time (one group). It's all about matching supply with demand.

A neighbour pulled up and more or less said I should have gone bigger too. He has 90+ milking cows..... I have a handful of yearling heifers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cjpm wrote: »
    Have used a fair bit of it fencing although someone here posted that it conducts electricity!!! :eek::confused:

So have alot of people cjpm, including myself. Rovi I think posted on this. I am not so sure. I tried a bit of research online, but couldn't find anything to confirm this. I think hydrodare is LDPE Low-density polyethylene. The blue water pipe they are using now is MDPE (medium density), so stronger.

But as for hydrodare conducting electric fence current.... I don't know. I read somewhere though that you can't use an ordinary electrican's voltmeter on an electric fence as it will f**k it up ;)

Advertisement