Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lancer 1.3 mpg

• 26-07-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

Hi1 looking to buy my first car Just wondering how good are these lancer 1.3 circa 1998-2002 on petol. Would be travelling 150 miles per wk so need a car for around 1000 thats easy on fuel. Also considering diesels. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

almostover wrote: »
    Hi1 looking to buy my first car Just wondering how good are these lancer 1.3 circa 1998-2002 on petol. Would be travelling 150 miles per wk so need a car for around 1000 thats easy on fuel. Also considering diesels. Any advice?

I wonder - can you get a reliable diesel for €1000??

A tidy Micra would make a good buy. Cheaper tax too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Mark 1 Almera springs to mind immediately. They were out from 95-2000 and are a great bus.

Edit - years NCT

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2378266

EPM wrote: »
    Mark 1 Almera springs to mind immediately. They were out from 95-2000 and are a great bus.

In diesel form? Great bus?
    Petrol ones ate gearboxes.

RoverJames wrote: »
    In diesel form? Great bus?
    Petrol ones ate gearboxes.

I'd buy petrol doing 150 miles per week. As for the gearbox, my cousin got one for €150 last month after his one went at 210k miles. On any car you're going to have some expense at some stage but it's something to check when buying.

Timing chain (and the 1.4 doesnt seem to suffer from the problems of the later 1.5's), nothing too complicated with the electrics and still a good few around.

I'd go petrol too at those miles. I'd be paying particular attention to a petrol Almera's gearbox though :)
    Unless your cousin fitted it himself or got mates rates surely €150 wasn't the total cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

+1 on the almera
    Bought a 98 3dr 1.4 last year for my OH and its the most hassle free car i ever bought ;), only 77k miles, one elderly owner and paid €600 for her. Really are a bulletproff motor and minimal servicing is all that is required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

EPM wrote: »

Edit - years NCT

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2378266

Is this yours?? Where in Cork is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

I don't think the Almera more reliable than the Lancer.

Engine and gearbox in the Lancer are supposedly very strong, I had a 00 Lancer 1.3 glx for a few years as my first car and while it was heavy on fuel ( about 37-40mpg mixed driving ) it was trouble free and guy at work I sold it to is still driving it and no problems at all.

It is a little heavy on fuel but so is the Almera, Focus, Corolla, 306 and all those little 1.3-1.4 engined cars, as they are all heavyish cars with no power at all.

150 miles is nothing OP, easy on fuel for that isnt going to save you too much:D

Lancer and all small petrols will do that for about 20-25 euro a week max, small diesel will do it for 15 -20 euro a week max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Ricardo G wrote: »
    +1 on the almera
    Bought a 98 3dr 1.4 last year for my OH and its the most hassle free car i ever bought ;), only 77k miles, one elderly owner and paid €600 for her. Really are a bulletproff motor and minimal servicing is all that is required

In fairness, you would have to expect that most decent cars with only 77K miles on them would be hassle free.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'd go petrol too at those miles. I'd be paying particular attention to a petrol Almera's gearbox though :)
    Unless your cousin fitted it himself or got mates rates surely €150 wasn't the total cost.

Fitted himself alright. Forgot that bit.
    almostover wrote: »
    Is this yours?? Where in Cork is it?

No and I havent a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Sweatynutsack

PaulKK wrote: »
    In fairness, you would have to expect that most decent cars with only 77K miles on them would be hassle free.

I would'nt touch a megane, xsara, etc with 77k on them no matter how decent they are !! I'd only be waiting for something to go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

donedeal is littered with mid-90's Lancer's that are still going and have NCT's. I think it's pretty safe to say that reliability ain't a major issue with these yokes. I would say 35-40mpg would be around standard for an petrol car in the 1.3 litre range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I would'nt touch a megane, xsara, etc with 77k on them no matter how decent they are !! I'd only be waiting for something to go wrong

Yes I know, I said decent :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I saw the title of the thread and thought: JAYSUS ... MUST BE COSTING THEM A FORTUNE. :D

Advertisement