Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I recall Joe Bastardi saying some time ago he thought the the winters of 2011/12 and 2012/13 would be when this current cycle of cold weather would peak. If solar activity is increasing, albeit slightly, then there could be a latency period of a year or two before its effect would be felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I recall Joe Bastardi saying some time ago he thought the the winters of 2011/12 and 2012/13 would be when this current cycle of cold weather would peak. If solar activity is increasing, albeit slightly, then there could be a latency period of a year or two before its effect would be felt.

IM gonna tell the hardware trader in work ( tesco ) to seriously think about getting in plastic sleds and what not... id say theyll sell well!

:D:D... Woop! , THE EXCITEMENT IS BUILDING! , Looking forward to buying my new winter jacket! :D ha

IF it IS solar activity that is the prime driver of weather, the jury is out, but it's looking more and more likely that it is, then the winters of 2020 and later will be real chillers as they after the next minimum.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    IM gonna tell the hardware trader in work ( tesco ) to seriously think about getting in plastic sleds and what not... id say theyll sell well!

:D:D... Woop! , THE EXCITEMENT IS BUILDING! , Looking forward to buying my new winter jacket! :D ha

Yes:D. If only we could fast forward to winter time:D

we'll truly know it's an epic winter, if civil war starts to breaks out on this forum! it wasn't until I started posting here that I realised just how instrumental my wishes were in the type of weather we have

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OOOH can't wait for another snowy christmassy winter :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

dolanbaker wrote: »
    IF it IS solar activity that is the prime driver of weather, the jury is out, but it's looking more and more likely that it is, then the winters of 2020 and later will be real chillers as they after the next minimum.

There is an article (full page) in the Farmers Journal about the link between solar activity and cold winters.
    Nothing that hasn't been discussed on this forum. The article says the 2C warmer winters which is the current advice given should be revised to include solar activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

AHHaa....excellent idea. Any chance you could get 'em to start stocking those strap on ice crampon thingies as well?? Didn't get around to buying any last year...

Paddy Power have 4.5 for a white christmas this year!!

THEY ARENT TAKING ANY CHANCES THIS TIME AYE!?!.... I Might still pop 50 euro on it ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

White Christmas in Dublin
    7/2

Paddypower

redsunset wrote: »
    White Christmas in Dublin
    7/2

Paddypower

Yes... that would would be 4.5 , i rather decimals :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yes... that would would be 4.5 , i rather decimals :)

No 3.5

9/2 is 4.5

EDIT sorry i see your including the stake in that

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

given that we have an almost constant northerly airflow if this was november and december what would the outcome be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

konman wrote: »
    given that we have an almost constant northerly airflow if this was november and december what would the outcome be?

heaven:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

konman wrote: »

World War 3 on Boards.ie :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Pangea wrote: »
    World War 3 on Boards.ie weather forum:pac:

FTFY :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Snow Bunnies. :(

Fcking snow bunnies accounted for 20% of boards traffic during the last outbreaks...this forum was utterly swamped with nonsense betimes.

Gob****es were posting stuff like ' no snow in Cork yet' by the minute. If I had a chaingun I'd shoot the cnuts from here...not that we actually saw any of the retards since it went above -2 :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Fcking snow bunnies accounted for 20% of boards traffic during the last outbreaks...this forum was utterly swamped with nonsense betimes.

Gob****es were posting stuff like ' no snow in Cork yet' by the minute. If I had a chaingun I'd shoot the cnuts from here...not that we actually saw any of the retards since it went above -2 :(

Well now that's a bit harsh in my opinion sponge bob, yes there was some nonsense posts but it is a public forum, and come on! when there's extreme weather people are going to look for somewhere they can get information and interact with others. It's not like this forum is an exclusive club for certain people.

I do understand where you're coming from but there's no need to get abusive.

Are there some parts of the country that don't see snow some winters?

We always get snow here, so I don't really see the fascination with it.

Min wrote: »
    I don't really see the fascination with it.
    In the words of Jedward OMG Min! how many times did I explain that last winter to you? We are back at square one :pac:

Pangea wrote: »
    In the words of Jedward OMG Min! how many times did I explain that last winter to you? We are back at square one :pac:

lol, but Pangea we are in the same boat I believe, you too always get snow every winter.
    OK some people like the bad dandruff look :P but who here doesn't get snow every winter for that look?

• Advertisement

Snow is a rare occurrence in Waterford City unfortunately :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

We can see snow on the mountains during Winter, but rarely get it down nearer sea level.

A

We always get snow here, so I don't really see the fascination with it.

I remember you saying you can be down in the town, where it's raining heavily, then as you make your way back home you can see the transition from rain to sleet, before finally it turns to snow as you reach home. I've never actually experienced something like that. I don't think i'd tire of snow if I was getting it as frequently as you. You must be not right in the head:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

cant wait for a bit of auld graupel to land! :D:D:D

fizzycyst wrote: »
    But that doesnt ryhme, you just killed it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sponge Bob wrote: »

tumblr_ll398xrRW41qk4a0bo1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The south and west rarely get much snow, plenty in Donegal most winters but still always a nice change from the usual dark and miserable weather we get.

We nearly got stuck in the hills back in December 09 after being caught out by snow, it was heavy rain/sleet in Letterkenny but the further into the hills towards Fintown we went it turned progressively to snow before eventually turning to blizzard like conditions. Heard on the radio about half an hour later that the road was closed and cars stranded!

fizzycyst wrote: »

:o
    What does this mean?

I remember you saying you can be down in the town, where it's raining heavily, then as you make your way back home you can see the transition from rain to sleet, before finally it turns to snow as you reach home. I've never actually experienced something like that. I don't think i'd tire of snow if I was getting it as frequently as you. You must be not right in the head:pac:

All that is true :pac:

When you get snowed in and can't go anywhere it is boring after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

All that is true :pac:

When you get snowed in and can't go anywhere it is boring after a while.

I vote that all the snow lovers all move in with Min for the winter, can't see boredom being a problem then! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement