Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Improving my irish

• 04-11-2010 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hello,

So I haven't really spoke Irish since school (give or take the odd attempt in a conversation) which is over 8 years ago now.

My irish wasn't too bad but not brilliant all the same. I did honours for leaving cert and I think I got a C. So basically, I'd love to improve it to a standard where I could have a proper conversation. Basically improve my oral and aural irish.

Any tips on what the best way to do this? I knwo I have lots of Irish locked away in my head and I need to remember it. Are there any descent books to read (school books even) or where could I head to improve it.

Maybe I won't do anything about it but it's something I've been thinking about for a bit.

Any advice is welcome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

There are a few good books available to help people looking to Improve their Irish, 'Buntús Cainté' and 'Learning Irish' would be the more well known ones, Your local book shop should have them, If they dont, they will be able to get them for you.

I would also advise joining a Ciorcal Comhrá(Conversation Group), There are a few around Dublin, And I would Imagin it wouldent be too hard to find Irish speakers in Kerry to have a chat with.
    When I started Learning Irish after my leaving cert, I joined a Ciorcal Comhrá, it is a really good way to learn because people in the Group will be able to help you with anything you are finding difficult.

Go N-Eirí an t-ádh leat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hey Dapos! This question gets asked a lot here, if you do just a search or look at first few pages of threads here you should definitely find some stuff of use! Just so you get the maximum info.

There should be a sticky with all the Info really, I sent a PM to Gael about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Click here for free stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Driseog

Try this test to find your level http://www.ranganna.com/tastail.aspx?Lang=en and then they recommend learning resources for your level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I'm in the same boat - I'm trying to get my friends to learn it too so I have people to talk to once it improves! We're spread all over Europe/the world at this stage, but are planning an Irish speaking holiday for next year as an incentive!

t-ha wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat - I'm trying to get my friends to learn it too so I have people to talk to once it improves! We're spread all over Europe/the world at this stage, but are planning an Irish speaking holiday for next year as an incentive!

Where are you? There might be an Irish speaking group near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Where are you? There might be an Irish speaking group near you.
    Nürnberg, Germany :D

Hmmm, Wouldent be the strongest Irish speaking area. Still you never know, there may be a few there with an intrest in Irish. If there is an Irish pub around there you could ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Tá cúpla Ghearmánach ar an suíomh seo atá suim mhór acu i nGaeilge, d'fhéadfá comhrá Skype a thosú leo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭stephanus

Maybe I am the closest Irish speaking group. Landshut, Lower Bavaria. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Dapos wrote: »
    Hello,

So I haven't really spoke Irish since school (give or take the odd attempt in a conversation) which is over 8 years ago now.

My irish wasn't too bad but not brilliant all the same. I did honours for leaving cert and I think I got a C. So basically, I'd love to improve it to a standard where I could have a proper conversation. Basically improve my oral and aural irish.

Any tips on what the best way to do this? I knwo I have lots of Irish locked away in my head and I need to remember it. Are there any descent books to read (school books even) or where could I head to improve it.

Maybe I won't do anything about it but it's something I've been thinking about for a bit.

Any advice is welcome.

book into a night school (now enrolling for January) very inexpensive and you get to speak to others in the same boat

Advertisement