Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Experiences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

No it won't get you five years. Store detective's would use citizen's arrest as the person has just stolen something. If you wereto say to a shoplifter, "hang on there til I get the gards" the shoplifter would be off like a light!
    Therefore CA can be used as the person would be trying to escape arrest.

Sorry for writing more or less the same post twice it didn't look like I pressed submit on the first post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

Ok one last question Fatted and more just for my own education than anything else. Probably miles off topic anyway. Sparkie saw a lad been punched in the face. Well if that guy had a preconsisting condition and the punch caused him to collapse and hemorrhage on the street. The whole eggshell skull rule, does that suddenly allow the person who threw the punch to be arrested? If it was obvious that there had been a serious assault. I've studied some civil law but no criminal. Not even the basics so I don't have a clue but I'm just wondering would the onus be on the reserve to show that he thought he was acting in the assaulted persons interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

Hey Dee. Are you attested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fatted

colliegG wrote: »
    Ok one last question Fatted and more just for my own education than anything else. Probably miles off topic anyway. Sparkie saw a lad been punched in the face. Well if that guy had a preconsisting condition and the punch caused him to collapse and hemorrhage on the street. The whole eggshell skull rule, does that suddenly allow the person who threw the punch to be arrested? If it was obvious that there had been a serious assault. I've studied some civil law but no criminal. Not even the basics so I don't have a clue but I'm just wondering would the onus be on the reserve to show that he thought he was acting in the assaulted persons interest?

See the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997. There are several levels of assault:
    Assault
    Assault causing Harm
    Assault causing Serious Harm

The last 2 are arrestable offences. You can't just pick a charge that suits you, you must be able to justify it. If you punch someone and his head splits open its probably no longer simple Assault. Its up to the member to decide what you're arresting someone for, but it must be legal and you must have the power to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

Fatted, Question,
    Am I,as a reserve, covered by insurance to drive a vehicle belonging to someone arrested for driving under the influence? Leaving the car where it was stropped was not an option.

Also, am I the only one who has trouble submitting a reply to this board?
    I don't know if my security is set too high?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Interesting thread. I'm a Dub serving in the Met Police in London. Its interesting to see the GR experiencing the same problems the special constabulary had here once upon a time.

What I do find hard to believe is that you have no powers to deal with public order. This is bread and butter policing, surely the powers that be realise this?

Specials here have the same powers on and off-duty as regular officers and I've worked with some good specials. So long as the recruitment standards are kept high, which isn't always the case in some forces in the UK, I don't see a problem with volunteers helping out, especially on weekend nights when, no matter where you police, you'll be rolling around with some drunken idiot, at some point during the shift.

Good luck to those about to go out on the streets. Listen to your colleagues, watch their back during stops and on calls, be careful when sticking your hands into people's pockets, and above all else stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

metman wrote: »
    Interesting thread. I'm a Dub serving in the Met Police in London. Its interesting to see the GR experiencing the same problems the special constabulary had here once upon a time.

What I do find hard to believe is that you have no powers to deal with public order. This is bread and butter policing, surely the powers that be realise this?

Specials here have the same powers on and off-duty as regular officers and I've worked with some good specials. So long as the recruitment standards are kept high, which isn't always the case in some forces in the UK, I don't see a problem with volunteers helping out, especially on weekend nights when, no matter where you police, you'll be rolling around with some drunken idiot, at some point during the shift.

Good luck to those about to go out on the streets. Listen to your colleagues, watch their back during stops and on calls, be careful when sticking your hands into people's pockets, and above all else stay safe.

Fair play metman,

Have a mate in the Met, and he loves it. Thanks for the vote of confidence, as with all new things, things will take time to develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Benny Kerry

metman wrote: »

Hi Metman,

I agree that the PO stuff is basic but then again it has the greatest potential to go pear shaped v quickly. Plus it's the area that generates the most complaints.

Therefore experience will assist in this regard. When we have seen and assisted a few times, then maybe. There is a new man coming in at Commissioner - be interesting to see what happens...........

In the meantime, as some of the others say, baby steps & stay safe out there. Object of the exercise is to come home in the same condition that you went out in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Benny,

I agree that many complaints have their origin in PO arrests, mostly to do with the level of force used in bringing the suspect in, however in 4 years I've never had a complaint arising out of a PO nicking. However, as a force the GR shouldn't wrap its people in cotton wool or how will they ever be treated as competent useful officers by their regular counterparts. If you look at the general opinion held by officers here towards PCSOs (non-warranted uniformed civvies) you'll see what I'm on about. Similarly the force must conduct its duties without fear or favour....that includes fear of complaint. There's no reason why GR personnel, with adequate training, could not conduct duties in support of regular officers with full powers to deal with public order problems or any other problems.

Over here the public order act is one of the most useful and versatile pieces of legislation and it would be a major headache if I had to conduct my duties without it. However, it is indeed early days for the GR, and the Garda as a whole is undergoing massive change, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Would it be fair to say that the Reserve has had a slow but steady start? The poll question: is it here to stay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

star gazer wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say that the Reserve has had a slow but steady start? The poll question: is it here to stay?

Yes, it would be fair to say they had a slow start just like anything else that's new when introduced first. Of course the Reserves are here to stay, they are recruiting and advertising like mad and they are so successful in other countries. Also the Commissioner may announce shortly Powers to the Reserves under the Public Order Act. I would have no doubt they are here to stay and all that I am learning at present they are the best trained force in Europe and Professional.
    Are you thinking of joining?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Not particularly, but i'm curious to see how it developes and am interested in how people posting here get on with the whole process of becoming a Garda Reserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

freddiew wrote: »
    I am learning at present they are the best trained force in Europe and Professional.

The Garda Reserve is the best trained force in Europe???

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

cushtac wrote: »
    The Garda Reserve is the best trained force in Europe???

Out of context, I said "I would have no doubt they are here to stay and all that I am learning at present they are the best trained force in Europe and Professional."

star gazer wrote: »
    Not particularly, but i'm curious to see how it developes and am interested in how people posting here get on with the whole process of becoming a Garda Reserve.

Just for the record, its Reserve Garda, rather than Garda Reserve

Ooooh Geo get you lol :p

Dee5 wrote: »
    Ooooh Geo get you lol :p

Ha! thought that would make you chuckle Dee lol

You still goin on the night out?, was out for a pint with J. the other night, said he was goin to go. Lookin forward to it now.

Hahahha Yeah was on last night and they were calling me Garda Reserve, I sent them straight lmao.
    Yeah defo going have booked the day after off work, was in a heap after the last one. Did you get the letter left in the station for ya?

Dee5 wrote: »
    Hahahha Yeah was on last night and they were calling me Garda Reserve, I sent them straight lmao.
    Yeah defo going have booked the day after off work, was in a heap after the last one. Did you get the letter left in the station for ya?

No didnt get it yet, will you pm or e-mail me to let me know what its about, it was one of the skippers who set me straight over the whole rg/gr thing, for answering the phone the wrong way round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 in control

Hi Metman,

I agree that the PO stuff is basic but then again it has the greatest potential to go pear shaped v quickly. Plus it's the area that generates the most complaints.

Therefore experience will assist in this regard. When we have seen and assisted a few times, then maybe. There is a new man coming in at Commissioner - be interesting to see what happens...........

In the meantime, as some of the others say, baby steps & stay safe out there. Object of the exercise is to come home in the same condition that you went out in?

Working as a GR for some time and generally find it a good experience. However it baffles me why we do not have any powers in relation to public disorder. Every duty i complete has an element of public order and it is frustrating to be in situations like this where you have no more powers than the average citizen. I appreciate that the GR is still in the learning phase but the word is that Garda management are generally very happy with the caliber of candidate in the GR. Another issue is the fixed charge penalty system . At present you can stop some one for a motoring offence but your GR reg no cannot access the system to put the offence on Pulse. Any comments greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

in control wrote: »
    Working as a GR for some time and generally find it a good experience. However it baffles me why we do not have any powers in relation to public disorder. Every duty i complete has an element of public order and it is frustrating to be in situations like this where you have no more powers than the average citizen. I appreciate that the GR is still in the learning phase but the word is that Garda management are generally very happy with the caliber of candidate in the GR. Another issue is the fixed charge penalty system . At present you can stop some one for a motoring offence but your GR reg no cannot access the system to put the offence on Pulse. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Very interesting point In Control.At least you can get into Pulse not one Reserve in our Division has received Pulse training yet and is unlikely to for some time. Hell we haven't even received our epaulets so now cannot go out on to the streets as we are unidentifiable to the public.This is all very frustrating as we are blue in the face highlighting it.
    What powers do we have under Road traffic.I know we have 107 and 109 buit can we sieze a car for out of date tax and insurance or is that something only a full time member can do.Can we issue parking tickets,fixed penalty charges for mobile phone usage while driving etc.Would be most interested in a response from those have been doing the job for a year or so.

Very interesting point In Control.At least you can get into Pulse not one Reserve in our Division has received Pulse training yet and is unlikely to for some time. Hell we haven't even received our epaulets so now cannot go out on to the streets as we are unidentifiable to the public.This is all very frustrating as we are blue in the face highlighting it.
    What powers do we have under Road traffic.I know we have 107 and 109 buit can we sieze a car for out of date tax and insurance or is that something only a full time member can do.Can we issue parking tickets,fixed penalty charges for mobile phone usage while driving etc.Would be most interested in a response from those have been doing the job for a year or so.

Have put your questions and others to members in my division but get totally different answers depending on who you ask. Regarding epaulets the lady in the reserve office in Santry is very helpful and will expedite the requests for you . The general feeling regarding your authority here is if you are not sure dont do it so nobody will get in bother. The whole thing can be very fustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fatted

Another issue is the fixed charge penalty system . At present you can stop some one for a motoring offence but your GR reg no cannot access the system to put the offence on Pulse. Any comments greatly appreciated.

The Garda Reserve have no power to issue fixed penalty notices. Fixed penalty notices are issued under section 103 of the Road Traffic Acts 1961-2006. Reserve Gardai have powers under section 40,69, 107 and 109 only!

fatted wrote: »
    The Garda Reserve have no power to issue fixed penalty notices. Fixed penalty notices are issued under section 103 of the Road Traffic Acts 1961-2006. Reserve Gardai have powers under section 40,69, 107 and 109 only!
    Take your point .I am curious if this is subject to review at any stage . My understanding is that GR members have the same power as full time officers but are restricted in that authority by the Commissioner . Is this true?

Take your point .I am curious if this is subject to review at any stage . My understanding is that GR members have the same power as full time officers but are restricted in that authority by the Commissioner . Is this true?

It is true In Control, we are restricted to the powers given to us by the Commisioner. We are members of An Garda Siochana, and do have full powers which may be given or dealt down by the Commissioner as he sees fit.

I know personally that not having Public Order a major pain. It is quite difficult to "do" anything in a large station without these powers. I dn't particularly want to go around arresting people, but if I tell someone to move on and they don't I pretty much have to rely on my full timer to arrest for me!
    However, if he doesn't share the same views as me then I look like an eejit.
    If we tell someone to put their drink in the bin etc and they refude, I'm in the same situation as above.
    I think we should even have the By-laws especially on a Sat night in Dub City Centre.
    Or should have been put in a station where the bread and butter stuff isn't Public Order, shoplifting Etc. It can be quite hard.

It does. Its clearly stated in the Garda Síochána Act 2005 and in the Rules and Regulations for the Garda Reserve.

Indeed.

Just like full members, Reserve members are responsible for their own actions. A Reserve member doesn't arrest someone on someone else's instructions unless they are happy there is an offence _and_ they have the power to do so.

All of the above is correct but solid information did not filter through in the beginning, and some Reserves were already on the streets before actual instructions were issued, this has now been resolved

It does. Its clearly stated in the Garda Síochána Act 2005 and in the Rules and Regulations for the Garda Reserve.

Indeed.

Just like full members, Reserve members are responsible for their own actions. A Reserve member doesn't arrest someone on someone else's instructions unless they are happy there is an offence _and_ they have the power to do so.
    controller wrote: »
    Well from where I stand as an applicant, I'm beginning to re-think, why on earth would anyone want to be apart of something that is obviously not well thought out? Any professional organisation especially a police force should have set rules. I notice some posters to this site are already GR members, and they don't know their powers?? Furthermore, would the powers that be not think it their place to ensure that every full-timer knows the role of a GR, it would appear negligent to send people out on the streets, without them knowing fully what is expected of them. If the full-timers do not know their limits they may issue a GR with an instruction outside their limits.

Also controller, you dont have to have extra/all powers to physicaly make a difference when on patrol, and I dont mean physical strength, sometimes and indeed most times talking to someone will diffuse a problem. Thats when you get the pat on the back. Visable presence is a strong tool, so dont get too discouraged. The first time a Guard that is with you says " Just as well you were with me, that could have turned nasty", you will understand why the Reserve will work in the long term, irrespective of what powers of arrest are deemed necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

I am curious about the money too,
    also where do I go about getting the epaulets,I know people attested since mid-summer who do not have any and others not allowed out because they do not have them.Is it up to the station to assign epaulet numbers? and then what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Big E

Just curious, But has any of the Reservists who started off last year, been paid the €1000 yet, to cover petrol and other costs, e.g. driving to Templemore..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

The Big E wrote: »
    Just curious, But has any of the Reservists who started off last year, been paid the €1000 yet, to cover petrol and other costs, e.g. driving to Templemore..

The €1000 is only paid once you have completed your 208 hours, and is basically just to cover your expenses of going to and from your station, plus any food expenses. Going to and from Tempemore is covered by yourself, although in saying that there was a bloke from Donegal in my class who had to stay in a hotel the night before the Phase 1 and Phase 3 courses. Anyway he was told to e-mail the Garda Reserve office in HQ about claiming this back, but I have no idea how he got on with this.

Advertisement