Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Man imposes his own limitations, don't set any"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Monday 7th of April:
    8 miles on grass @7:04 pace.

Tuesday 8th of April:
    Track session of 800, 2x400, 2x200 with 3 minutes recovery. 2 mile warm up and down.

Times: 2:18, 65.08, 65.07, 28.54, 28.28

Put the spikes back on today for this session for the first time in over 2 months. This session wasn't intended to be too long or hard just a tune up before Saturdays race. The session went well and I felt good. I took Stazzas advice and incorporated some LT stuff to my warm up before my strides and it worked wonders. I managed to go out too fast for the first lap of the 800 and hit 67 seconds. The 400's and 200's felt like a bit of a blur since there was only 2 of each but I felt strong and kept the pace consistent throughout. The speed hasn't gone anywhere and I didn't feel like I was pushing it too hard to hit the times.

Wednesday 9th of April:
    6 miles easy on grass @7:02 pace. A bit tired after yesterdays session so just took it handy and did a bit of foam rolling afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Solid session pa.

Very similar to ones I used to do under my old coach and always felt great after them great way to get used to running fast while feeling strong.

Best of luck at weekend. Hopefully the ntrai lads will get the funds sorted for the streaming as should be good one to watch

ecoli wrote: »
    Solid session pa.

Very similar to ones I used to do under my old coach and always felt great after them great way to get used to running fast while feeling strong.

Best of luck at weekend. Hopefully the ntrai lads will get the funds sorted for the streaming as should be good one to watch

Thanks ecoli! It's a lovely session, it gives a nice spring too the legs :)

This was the type of race where it was hard to have a plan especially when I knew I wasn't going to feature in it being up against the likes of John Travers and them. My aim was to just go out and run hard and see what happens and not worry to much about splits and overall times. I had being feeling good all week and there was a nice bounce in the legs while doing my standard pre race day 3 mile easy run. Doing my warm up I felt the same and there was the same bounce in the legs doing my strides so I knew a PB was definitely on the cards.

The pace went off at what would be considered very slow for leaders but ideal for someone at my level so I stuck in to the middle of the group where the pace stayed the same for the first 800m. Literally after two laps Travers upped the pace and the field immediately spread out. Went through the 1k mark in about 3:12 which felt very comfortable so I decided to try and maintain that pace. Usually I find 5ks on the track mentally very tough because its the same thing going round and round in circles but for this race I just focused on a kilometer at a time rather than thinking about how many laps I had left. I didn't look at the clock much but I know I hit 3k in 9:39ish. The middle four laps of the race were by far the toughest but I found a new lease of life for the final four and managed to reel in two other lads. Overall the pace was fairly consistent and I'm happy with the run.

5000m in 16:13.60 @5:13 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Pa, smashing run.

TbL

• Advertisement

Monday 14th of April:
    8 miles on the road. Didn't have the watch with me but I was just taking it handy and did my usual 8 mile route. Didn't feel great tbh and was glad when it was over.

Tuesday 15th of April:
    Session of 2x2k in 6:05-6:10. 2 mile warm up and down.

Times were: 6:11, 6:05

Although I hit the target times for this session and it was the best 2x2k session I've ever done by a long shot I wasn't feeling great going into it. Even doing my strides the legs felt a bit heavy and didn't think I could hit the times at all. First rep went out in 3:05 for 1k and felt like a struggle, I had to push extra hard to get 3:06 for the second 1k. Took a 5 minute recovery and felt fairly tired but once I started the second rep I felt grand. Hit the 1k in 3:02 and it felt slightly easier than the first rep so I knew I could keep the pace. Went through the mile in around 4:53 and hit the second 1k in 3:03 so two consistent splits for both reps.

I was well warmed up for the first rep but was feeling tired and heavy legged all day so that probably contributed to me feeling a bit tired. Very happy with the session overall with an average of 6:08 which is must faster than I've done before.

One hell of a session. You doing gradeds in 2 weeks? There definitely a few big performances to come from you in the coming weeks and months

One hell of a session. You doing gradeds in 2 weeks? There definitely a few big performances to come from you in the coming weeks and months

Thanks ecoli, really feeling it now though! Todays run was a bit of a struggle! Very happy with it myself, I didn't think I'd hit the times beforehand but it gives me a good confidence boost for doing the longer sessions in future. I should be getting down close to 15:40 for 5k come the summer if all goes to plan :) I won't be doing the gradeds in 2 weeks, the munster u.23 t&f is coming up in early May so I'll give that a go. Will definitely be doing a few gradeds though I'd like to run a good 1500-3000 on the track and I'll have to through in at least one 800m in there too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

That's some great running there Pa.

And also a great run by the older one on Sunday.

Can't beat breeding ;)

Ceepo wrote: »
    That's some great running there Pa.

And also a great run by the older one on Sunday.

Can't beat breeding ;)

Thanks!

Ya he had a great run, it was 30 years ago this year when the father last one it! Must find out what time he ran that day. I'll have to try and make it a triple next year!

• Advertisement

Nearly there

pa4 wrote: »
    Nearly there

Congrats on the PB, each time you knock a bit off will give you confidence in your ability to hold that pace and push on from it next time round. That sub 15.40 is simply a matter of when as long as you keep going the way you are going

Congrats on the PB, each time you knock a bit off will give you confidence in your ability to hold that pace and push on from it next time round. That sub 15.40 is simply a matter of when as long as you keep going the way you are going

Thanks, I know I'm im sub 16 shape now, another 2-3 months of solid training/racing and I should knock off that extra 20 seconds :) Very happy with the race, went out hard and hung on. Did the last km in 3:06 into a headwind so ya never know I could have dipped under with different weather conditions.

That's brilliant Pa, well done, any one thing in particular you'd put your improvement down to?

By the way whose watch did you borrow for the photo :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Super stuff Pa4! Envious that you're hitting such good times, and have so many years of improvement ahead of you. Expecting great things down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Great stuff Pa,

Must meet up for a run soon

That's brilliant Pa, well done, any one thing in particular you'd put your improvement down to?

By the way whose watch did you borrow for the photo :)

TbL

Thanks TbL :D

I'd put it down to consistency and hard work really. Training has been going so well because I've had a good few consistent months back to back slowly building up to where I am at the moment. I've been lucky not to have had any injuries or illness. And that is my watch! Maybe I should pose with it the next time :p Still have it saved on the Garmin :D

Super stuff Pa4! Envious that you're hitting such good times, and have so many years of improvement ahead of you. Expecting great things down the line!

Thanks Krusty :) I'm getting there! You still have a few good years in you yet :p

Ceepo wrote: »
    Great stuff Pa,

Must meet up for a run soon

Thanks! Ya definitely, I'm around for the summer doing work placement in nenagh anyway :D

Two good sessions this week:

12x400m with 2:30 min recovery (jogged a lap in around 2:08 and got my breath back for the remaining 22 seconds) all in 69/70 with a random 67 thrown in there, nothing too extreme but a decent session nonetheless. Had the spikes on for this and really felt it in the calfs the next day!

20x100m hills with 100m jog recovery. Felt better for this session than I did for the 400s and felt very strong. Very happy with this session.

• Advertisement

8x300m hills this evening. I was up at 5:30am this morning and was in Dublin all day for work so I was fairly sluggish going into this after everything. The hill looked so long and felt as bad but I got through them ok in the end! Fairly tired now afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

pa4 wrote: »
    8x300m hills this evening. I was up at 5:30am this morning and was in Dublin all day for work so I was fairly sluggish going into this after everything. The hill looked so long and felt as bad but I got through them ok in the end! Fairly tired now afterwards.

I've got that session booked for Saturday. They are tough at any time, never mind after a full day like that. Power naps are the future:D

Stazza wrote: »
    I've got that session booked for Saturday. They are tough at any time, never mind after a full day like that. Power naps are the future:D
    A tough one but you can feel the benefit afterwards when your too tired to get up off the couch! I don't have much time for power naps but still managed to get in 40 winks in the car journey home from Dublin!

On another note this day 3 years ago I got back running with a painful 3 miles! although it took me about a year to start training consistently and properly I'll still consider it the day I started back running after a very long hiatus!! A very quick 3 years, I wonder where I'll be in another 3 :)

I'm failing miserably at updating this lately but trainings still being going well. Last two sessions were:

Friday 16th of May:
    4x800m with 3 minute recovery, 5 minute break, 4x200m with 90 second recovery.

Times for 800: 2:24, 2:23, 2:21, 2:20 (Average 2:22)

Times for 200: 29, 29, 29, 29

Good session and the times were spot on, I was aiming for 2:22 for the 800's and ended up average just that, felt crap enough starting off after a long week of work which was fairly labour intensive but felt better as I went along. 200's were suppose to be in 29's and they all ended up at low 29's so happy with that too.

Tuesday 20th of May:
    Racing tomorrow so this was just a maintance session.

1000, 800, 4x200m. 3 minute rec for 1k and 8, 90 sec for 2's.

Times: 3:07, 2:21, 28, 28, 28, 28

Really had to hold myself back for this session sinCE i WAS feeling so good but I had to just let loose for the 200's and managed all 28's so very happy with that. The race tomorrow is a local 8k road race over a hilly enough couurse, usually a decent standard so hopefully I get a good run out of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Well run on Friday - just like me, you're devilishly handsome :D

Stazza wrote: »
    Well run on Friday - just like me, you're devilishly handsome :D

Thanks Stazza :) Delighted with the run, 26:43 for 8k over a very hilly course!

20x100m hills on tuesday

2x2k and 4x200 on Friday
    Times: 6:15, 6:15, 29,28,29,28. Felt crap with no energy, didnt sleep well the night before and was fit to fall asleep. Other than the tiredness my muscles were grand.

Today; 13 mile long run @6:37 pace. Got a bit carried away with the pace. Its matchday here in town so nearly got knocked down multiple times by crazy blind drivers

53 miles last week.

Only one session whcih I was glad of because I was fairly tired for some reason! (Could possibly be due to the fact that I went out twice last week).
    The session was 5x1k and 3x200m. It was fair windy so I decided to do the 1ks in the park because the track which is flat and sheltered with the trees. It was actually over 1k, I measured it ages ago but forgot where the 1k mark was so I was doing about 4-5 seconds more than 1k. Times averaged 3:10 whch I'm fairly happy with considering the weather and its worth about a 3:05 effort.

Ran up to the track to get the spikes on for the 200's. Legs felt suprisinly OK. It's the first time I've ever done 200's after a session of 1k's like that so didn't really no what to expect. Did the first two in low 29's. On the third one there was a young sprinter who asked could he join in with me for the second 100 of my 200 so I ended up getting pushed all the way to the like and did the final 200 in 27.6 seconds, haven't ran that fast for a 200 in a long time!

Nothing like trying to keep the young lads in check to push yourself that bit harder!

TbL

• Advertisement

Nothing like trying to keep the young lads in check to push yourself that bit harder!

TbL

Exactly, there was no way I would have ran 27 seconds for the last 200!

Advertisement