Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Diesel €6k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

It'd be the Accord for me all day long.
    (I have an 07 iCDTI Ex, so I may be slightly biased.)

The two on Adverts look decent enough, and here's another similar one from DD:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-06-nct-2-years/5961599

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

You were saying to me that you wouldn't be keeping the car for years so I'd buy something that would be easy to sell on.

Young fellas will jump at a clean B7 A4. I'd go with a nicely specced, unmolested one of those. I'd personally prefer the Accord but the way the motor tax rates are going you might find selling an older one in a year or two a little tough. The 1.9tdi is tough if looked after and they handle high miles well.

If you wanted to get it checked thoroughly and do some preventative maintenance this 2 litre looks tidy though:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-navi-bi-xenon/6642095

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Im not 100% sure on when I might get a company car though, i like both the ST and Accord a lot so Id be much more content with keeping them longer. I saw that a4 alright, the 2.0 Vag diesel scares the crap out of me though, that one is massively specced though its very nice, Ill give the owner a shout there.
    That accord above seems way too cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I think Vectra knows a polish guy up that way to check it out too.

Just been reading a lot of G. Dalton posts on the 2.0 tdi engine, seems if i do buy that Id be going to him straight away to get that preventative work done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

I have recently bought a vectra SRI in NI and find it a lovely car. Try and get one with the XP2 pack and sat Nav idf possible. Mine cost me 5k all in including VRT and a new timing belt. Things to watch for are the DMF, clutch will make rattling sound at biting point if knackered. Also the swirl flaps in the inatke manifold. Mine were stuck open so I removed the manifold and cleaned it thoroughly and removed the swirl flaps completely. The holes for the swirl flap bushings were so worn they were oval in shape so I couldnt plug them with the blanking kit I bought. I filled the holes instead with an epoxy plastic compund and mushroomed the filler on the outside so that the epoxy can only fall out rather than into the engine if the bond were ever to break (hugely unlikely). If you leave the swirl flap actuator plugged in you will get no engine light.

The car is spotless, comfortable and looks. The 150bhp is a peach of an engine once the flaps are sorted out too. Getting 54 mpg from mine and the engine is very powerful. The vectra is a lot of car for a little money. You will get a lot more spec for your money than with the other brands if you can ignore the usual badge snobbery. IMO Audi's are a very overpriced car for what they are.

Was yours an XP2? I have had 2 Opels before, the only thing putting me off the Vectra is the soft gearbox and the interior is extremely boring. But I have driven a car with that engine and it is nice to drive with decent go in it.
    Where did you source your one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Groundsource

Pretty sh!tless about buying a diesel what with injectors, dmfs, dpfs etc. but theres no way around it.
    QUOTE]
    If you are that worried about buying a diesel, then don't. Modern diesel cars (post 2005) are no more expensive to maintain than petrol ones. Diesel carsales are on a par with petrol if not greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Mine isnt an Xp2 unfortunately. It is a basic SRI but that still includes cruise control, 6 speed gearbox, air con etc. Got mine from L.Hanson motors in Coleraine. Very good man to deal with, genuine and only keeps top quality stuff. Bought the car sold as seen and he cut me a good deal which I used for the timing belt and swirl valve repairs. The car is beautiful to drive and i like the looks of this model myself so it was a no brainer. All cars have their own faults, but with GM parts and a good dealership network in the country and spurious parts are not expensive for these models. My parents always had Opels when I was growing up but have emigrated to toyotas in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

If you are getting an accord get a later model 06/07. Got a facelift in march 06 and they have a 6speed gearbox.
    I picked up a 06 one a month ago for 4500. Exec model with all extras
    Beautiful car to drive. Far more reliable than a vectra also. Vectra and the Saab have same engine and can give trouble. Gearboxes can be soft as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd have the S60 D5 out of that lot, reliable sweet 5 cylinder comfy cruiser once you get over the tax aspect. If this is genuine it could be a good buy:

28708930.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-d5-fwd-se-geartronic-nct-08-15/6785184

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Alfa 159? Ugh I've been infected, it appears :( :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd have the S60 D5 out of that lot, reliable sweet 5 cylinder comfy cruiser once you get over the tax aspect. If this is genuine it could be a good buy:

28708930.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-d5-fwd-se-geartronic-nct-08-15/6785184

The colour is just awful though. I have one, all the spec, and 220bhp map from standard 185bhp means it's one very surprising cruiser when it comes to shove. The sound system is the best in the business too. Very happy with it even if the suspension is too soft. Getting a realistic 45mpg mixed. Over optimistic computer says 52mpg which is annoying.

28708930.jpeg

Thats almost exactly what im looking for on the d5 aspect bazz! Id be able to pawn my mazda 6 off on them too

coolbeans wrote: »
    The colour is just awful though. I have one, all the spec, and 220bhp map from standard 185bhp means it's one very surprising cruiser when it comes to shove. The sound system is the best in the business too. Very happy with it even if the suspension is too soft. Getting a realistic 45mpg mixed. Over optimistic computer says 52mpg which is annoying.

The asking price probably reflects the odd colour along with the high motor tax but it still seems like a lot of car for €6k. That car must have cost someone over €30k 7 years ago.

Ardennes, before the bad people distract you with their shiny things, I'd just like to point out that the Gen7 Accords (that you're looking at) do not have a DPF.

Also, the Accord in Executive trim is a very nice place to be on long motorway journeys - and that's coming from someone whose previous car was a Lexus GS300 EX!
    In fact, the Accord just wants to devour motorway all day long.
    And it's reliable.

Did I mention it has NO DPF?

Yes the Accords only come with dpfs from the new model afaik. Theres so many to choose from too with fantastic spec, trying to find one that nav is difficult enough though. going to test drive an accord and mondeo ST tomorrow.
    That D5 has really brought me back to them, there was only all rough ones donedeal lately.
    Anyone near crumlin want to have a look for me? :D

Yes the Accords only come with dpfs from the new model afaik. Theres so many to choose from too with fantastic spec, trying to find one that nav is difficult enough though. going to test drive an accord and mondeo ST tomorrow.
    That D5 has really brought me back to them, there was only all rough ones donedeal lately.
    Anyone near crumlin want to have a look for me? :D

Which accord are you going to look at if you don't mind me asking. I looked at a couple that are still up. May save you a trip lol.

Mine has no dpf and really comfy on motorway. Cruise control is super.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I quite like the colour on that volvo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd go for the Volvo too. Brilliant car. My mother is on her 3rd and she loves it, the D5 engine really is excellent. About 45-47mpg on motorways and a satisfying turn of torque to go with it. It's also a really nice place to sit, massive boot and very safe.

Just to add a little bit of balance to the Honda Accord. Early diesel models were prone to timing chain stretching. They were also prone to cracks in the manifold but Honda extended the warranty on these to 7 years and not sure if it was sorted altogether on facelifted models in 2006. VSC system failure was also a common problem on the 7th gen Accord.

Not saying they are a bad car but just pointing out like most modern diesel cars they are not without their faults.

I have research all the cars as much as I possibly can lads but i appreciate your words. Im aware of all the issues of the pre facelift accords especially.
    @christy, im looking at all executive ones on donedeal under 6k really, if theres any you went to see let me know please as ill be going to look at some over the next week or two.
    I like the look of that Volvo too, i was texting the dealer today in work but ill ring him tomorrow, the interior is a little dated but it seems to be the most reliable and i would certainly be getting it remapped, only issue for me would be selling it on but i really do like it. Remap to 220bhp and 450 torque

Just to add a little bit of balance to the Honda Accord. Early diesel models were prone to timing chain stretching. They were also prone to cracks in the manifold but Honda extended the warranty on these to 7 years and not sure if it was sorted altogether on facelifted models in 2006. VSC system failure was also a common problem on the 7th gen Accord.

Not saying they are a bad car but just pointing out like most modern diesel cars they are not without their faults.

Timing chain stretching was due to incorrect oil/lack of servicing. Easy enough to hear rattle on them.
    Manifold issue was not sorted on the facelift, however any that were going to crack should have done so by now.
    Vsa issue can be fixed a lot more cheaply now as unit can be refurbished. For me are more reliable than the Volvo.

Timing chain stretching was due to incorrect oil/lack of servicing. Easy enough to hear rattle on them.
    Manifold issue was not sorted on the facelift, however any that were going to crack should have done so by now.
    Vsa issue can be fixed a lot more cheaply now as unit can be refurbished. For me are more reliable than the Volvo.

Just for balance, the Volvo S60 D5 also suffered from injector trouble, loss of power steering and handbrake shoes delaminating and damaging the rear hubs.

Every car has it's design flaws, but you can mitigate against this by doing your research and picking the one that has the least serious/expensive ones.

For me, when I weighed this up, along with other considerations, the Accord was in a different league to the Mondeo, Avensis and Passat.

As regards reliability, I believe Honda always comes out near the top of the table.
    For example,in the UK's Warranty Direct Reliability Index, Honda is in 2nd place, and Volvo is at 26th.
    http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

Gonna have a quick look at lpg cars now too. MuppetC has put them in my head again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hate ads that don't have proper pics and don't show the reg. makes me suspicious that they're showing the best bits (which aren't even that great)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

I wonder how this S-Type stands in the ? http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-s-type-2-7-litre-diesel/5468199

Sure it's almost grand over the budget but that might be asking and not final price ?

Advertisement