Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2013/2014

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    We had an amazing time! :D

Barcelona is so beautiful and we stayed in Salou which has an amazing beach :P And a cute little Irish pub if your teachers are willing to let ye in there :pac:

Port Aventura is great as well, but the waiting times for the rides are crazy :eek:

We're staying in Salou too :o AND we're going to Port Aventura! Where else did ye go? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    We're staying in Salou too :o AND we're going to Port Aventura! Where else did ye go? :P
    We took a tour of Barcelona city and the main sights. We also got a tour of Camp Nou (the Barcelona FC stadium) and of a science museum in the city (the name has left my head :eek: ). We got to go shopping in two different shopping centres too! :) We were only there for three days so we did't do too much :) How long are ye going for?

We took a tour of Barcelona city and the main sights. We also got a tour of Camp Nou (the Barcelona FC stadium) and of a science museum in the city (the name has left my head :eek: ). We got to go shopping in two different shopping centres too! :) We were only there for three days so we did't do too much :) How long are ye going for?

Three days too and I think we're doing pretty much the same as ye did :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

You lucky b*stards with your less-pressure marking schemes :(
    But then again... good luck with getting the college course you want.
    I can't wait to be finished LC and just studying the things I want (down with geography!)

Jijsaw wrote: »
    I can't wait to be finished LC and just studying the things I want (down with geography!)

I just can't wait to get out of school tbh.

• Advertisement

Aren't the 'less pressure marking schemes' supposed to be for the 2017 LC? :o which is the leaving cert after ours :eek:

edit: Yes, it's for the year below us! For those starting 5th year in 2015. We start 5th Year in 2014 :(

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/changes-to-leaving-cert-to-be-delayed-266013.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Aren't the 'less pressure marking schemes' supposed to be for the 2017 LC? :o which is the leaving cert after ours :eek:

So that mean the current 3rd years will be the first with this marking scheme. Can someone tell me what has changed or will change and why it is less pressure for them

So that mean the current 3rd years will be the first with this marking scheme. Can someone tell me what has changed or will change and why it is less pressure for them

Yes it's for the current 3rd years or 2nd years who skip TY.

It's changing the whole A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2.... grading scheme to a scheme with only 8 grades. The grades will literally be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8. And it will have either an O or a H next to it depending on the level (not sure if Foundation level will be included?).

Apparently it's less stressful because there's less grades you can achieve. Someone who might previous had a high B2, may now get the same grade as someone who previously got a low B3.

It seems kinda silly, and not very 'less stressful' to me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Yes it's for the current 3rd years or 2nd years who skip TY.

It's changing the whole A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2.... grading scheme to a scheme with only 8 grades. The grades will literally be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8. And it will have either an O or a H next to it depending on the level (not sure if Foundation level will be included?).

Apparently it's less stressful because there's less grades you can achieve. Someone who might previous had a high B2, may now get the same grade as someone who previously got a low B3.

It seems kinda silly, and not very 'less stressful' to me :P

Thanks for explaining it!!!! I understand it being less stressful and i think i like the system. As you said with someone getting 'a high B2, may now get the same grade as someone who previously got a low B3' you could also think of a bit more positively like someone who would have got a B1 with the old system would have got a H2 which would look much better on a report imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I am ****ing jealous now. Course points in universities and colleges better adapt to this aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

edit: Yes, it's for the year below us! For those starting 5th year in 2015. We start 5th Year in 2014 :(

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/changes-to-leaving-cert-to-be-delayed-266013.html

Indeed, I stand corrected :)
    Take a look in the LC forum for an in-depth examinations of the pros and cons (mostly cons) for this proposed change. It appears that Ruairí Quinn wants to make massive changes to education purely so he can leave his stamp on the syllabus- I doubt he'll ever get back in as Minister for Education, what with his making a balls of everything :p
    I do agree with his "less religion taught in primary schools" though if you're going to teach religion, teach about ALL the major religions not just Christianity-sure why not just rename the subject 'Christianity- Jesus and the lads were alright' :rolleyes:

I am ****ing jealous now. Course points in universities and colleges better adapt to this aswell.

What do you mean by course points adapting to it? Sure the whole points system is only there for the benefit of getting into courses in universities and the colleges/unis have been involved in the planning of the new changes anyways so of course they're going to be changing too.
    Jijsaw wrote: »
    Indeed, I stand corrected :)
    Take a look in the LC forum for an in-depth examinations of the pros and cons (mostly cons) for this proposed change. It appears that Ruairí Quinn wants to make massive changes to education purely so he can leave his stamp on the syllabus- I doubt he'll ever get back in as Minister for Education, what with his making a balls of everything :p
    I do agree with his "less religion taught in primary schools" though if you're going to teach religion, teach about ALL the major religions not just Christianity-sure why not just rename the subject 'Christianity- Jesus and the lads were alright' :rolleyes:

I'm not a Ruairi Quinn fan but I also agree with you on the whole religion in primary school thing :rolleyes: I mean a huge amount of 2nd and 6th class is used to 'prepare' for the communion and confirmation? That shouldn't be taught in school. If people want their children to have communion and get confirmed then they should have that done in their own time like other religious families in this country do with their beliefs and systems.

Back to the new LC thing, it'll be awkward for anyone in TY currently, if they repeat 6th year. The grading system they're used to will be gone - whereas the bunch of students starting 5th year in 2015 will have probably been taught using that grading system.

Anyone else get accepted into the IT Tallaght EYF programme? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Anyone else do the Cycle Against Suicide today?
    Had to cycle from Carlow to Kilkenny and I swear I've never had a sorer hole in my life! :P
    Amazing cause though and well worth all the pain.

Anyone else do the Cycle Against Suicide today?
    Had to cycle from Carlow to Kilkenny and I swear I've never had a sorer hole in my life! :P
    Amazing cause though and well worth all the pain.

Wow, that must of been some cycle! Did your whole year do it or was it a solo Job? I wish I did something like that because cycling is ma thing :D

Wow, that must of been some cycle! Did your whole year do it or was it a solo Job? I wish I did something like that because cycling is ma thing :D

Most of my class got involved, it was optional thought, we left at 9am and were back by 4pm.

I think it goes to Cork now but I couldn't do that.

I'm actually out sick today aswell!

Cycling is great fun, especially in the lovely weather.

^^ Liked it on Fcaebook :)

Came back from a 25Km cycle today, I'm bet.

Feel pretty good thought.

My last TY activity is Paintball next tUesday, then that's it :/

Was anyone here at the YSI Showcase in Citywest today? :)

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Was anyone here at the YSI Showcase in Citywest today? :)
    I was :D

I was :D

Ooh, me too! :D

• Advertisement

Was at Paintball today in Bray.

I've bruises all over :P

Think that was the last TY activity for me, I'm finished next Tuesday I think and I don't have school on Fridays meaning just 4 days left!

Done now!

Had a graduation and all! Was a great year and I'm definitely gonna miss it.

Now to go on the Summer Job hunt! :P

Anyone else finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

I had my graduation yesterday too, weird to think we're going into 5th year!

But it's still a while away yet for me, I'm not back to school until the middle of September :D

Had my graduation today as well! Got a trophy for Pupil of the Year :rolleyes:

Looking forward for 5th year! People keep saying I'm gonna be lazy at the start of 5th year, but I feel more motivated than ever to do work and do well! Anyone else on the same boat? :D Can't wait to move onto the Leaving Cert forum but wouldn't say I'll be checking boards.ie as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DaniellaG726

Hi everyone :) My name is Daniella (probably evident from the username) and since all of you have done TY I was wondering if you would be able to help me find inspiration for work experience :D Where did you all go?

Hi everyone :) My name is Daniella (probably evident from the username) and since all of you have done TY I was wondering if you would be able to help me find inspiration for work experience :D Where did you all go?

When is your work experience on? You could do some TY programmes hosted by a few colleges that give insight in stuff like science/engineering jobs and so on.

I did two weeks at a charity, a week at a App Development Company and a week at a bakery :p try get a taste of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DaniellaG726

When is your work experience on? You could do some TY programmes hosted by a few colleges that give insight in stuff like science/engineering jobs and so on.

I did two weeks at a charity, a week at a App Development Company and a week at a bakery :p try get a taste of everything.
    Work experience is every Wednesday from August till December then there will be a block just before Christmas exams. Thanks for your help :D

Work experience is every Wednesday from August till December then there will be a block just before Christmas exams. Thanks for your help :D

My work experience was every Friday from Sept to Dec then every Friday from Jan until May.

I was at a restaurant/family entertainment centre and a wood yard!

Get as much exposure to the working environment as you can.

The more the merrier!

Mine was two weeks in October and two weeks in April/March. I worked in a chemist, spent two days with a solicitor and three with a barrister, I worked in a cafe and did a week in a radio station. Try and pick whatever you think you'd be interested in doing when you leave school :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement