Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 stillframe

Can't wait for it to finally come out :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No I mean an actual legal one.

I can't see Bungie getting tied up in multiple contracts with multiple companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

You know you can already play as a Spartan in a fighting game, right?

Yeah I've played DOA4, but that game sucks.

Unlike Mortal Kombat 9! :D

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

stillframe wrote: »

Can't wait for it to finally come out :)
    That game looks like it could use a few tweaks.

2 minutes per ROUND? Ugh.
    No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 stillframe

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    That game looks like it could use a few tweaks.

2 minutes per ROUND? Ugh.
    No thanks.

Hmm i dunno, sometimes i think rounds in SF or MvC can be over too quick and can rely on luck sometimes more than skill. But the game isn't done yet so there probably will be alot more tweaks. The characters and the abilities look sorta cool though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Did I see CINDER in there? :eek:

Infeeeeerooooooooooooooooo!

http://shoryuken.com/content/mortal-kombat-9-copyright-power-clever-lawyers-4165/

Really interesting read on the legal side of the online pass from Ultradavid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

http://shoryuken.com/content/4004-mk9-has-4-player-mode-2v2-battles/comments4.htm

4 playing at same time with tag could be good. Also I had a look at the box in gamestop and the vs spectator mode looks really good. Looks like an avatar and background screen type system.

Anyone play this on PSN yet? Is there any depth to it or do all the characters feel the same except for special moves like other MK games?

What I like about SF4 and MvC is that there are ways of breaking combos and juggles with skill. Its less frustrating then Tekken or MK where if you land certain combos you can be finish off most people (or is it just me?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Here this game looks amazing. Just been watching videos of gameplay and the combat (Kombat) looks really nice and fluid. Anyone here played it what's the craic is it good? I love how much they've put in with tag teams and the tests etc. This video totally owned me

I also love how people just take a short break between the rounds without a reset to starting positions. Really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

why isnt there still an xbox demo? games out in 2 days i think?
    ps3 has a demo

gonna get it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Placebo wrote: »
    why isnt there still an xbox demo? games out in 2 days i think?
    ps3 has a demo

gonna get it anyway
    It's fairly obvious now that PS3 is the lead platform for MK9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Dunno what all the fuss is about PS3 and Kratos... and people wanting master chief? Dear lord... Kratos and Master Chief have to be two of the most bland, one-dimentional characters in modern video games. Sure Kratos is made for this sort of Kombat (see what I did there?) but he's very weapon-heavy unlike MK characters which are are mostly fist-fighting + have a charming non-expect look to their fighting which makes them somewhat realistic contrast to all the fantastic gore.

I dunno why the game is being hyped on the PS3... seems like a game that would be great on both consoles. It's their loss in terms of marketing, though - Or maybe they saw that a majority of 360 players are annoying kids who never even played MK like us all and therefore have no nostalgia. Whatever the reason, I don't really give a flying feck. Game looks awesome but I don't have any money to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Dunno what all the fuss is about PS3 and Kratos... and people wanting master chief? Dear lord... Kratos and Master Chief have to be two of the most bland, one-dimentional characters in modern video games. Sure Kratos is made for this sort of Kombat (see what I did there?) but he's very weapon-heavy unlike MK characters which are are mostly fist-fighting + have a charming non-expect look to their fighting which makes them somewhat realistic contrast to all the fantastic gore.

I dunno why the game is being hyped on the PS3... seems like a game that would be great on both consoles. It's their loss in terms of marketing, though - Or maybe they saw that a majority of 360 players are annoying kids who never even played MK like us all and therefore have no nostalgia. Whatever the reason, I don't really give a flying feck. Game looks awesome but I don't have any money to buy it.

Bit of a silly statement tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Ry wrote: »
    Anyone here played it what's the craic is it good?

Weve had it in work since saturday (PS3 version), cant play it online as its a promo copy and didn't come with a redeem code for the online pass, so my experience with it is 100% offline. I cant say if the game is deep enough to be tournament viable yet (though if UMK3 is then it most likely will be), but if your an MK fan, you are going to ****ing LOVE this game.

Heres what stood out the most to me

1. Graphics are fantastic
    2. More fan service then any fighting game Ive seen to date
    3. Fatality's are brutal, easily the most gruesome the series has seen yet (Noob Saibots almost made me look away from the screen when I first saw it).
    4. Story mode is great, and really fleshes out the story behind certain characters from the previous games (e.g. Sub Zero and Scorpions rivalry, how Cyrax and Sektor became cyborgs etc).
    5. Tutorials are very comprehensive. As crazy as it may sound, its a lot like Virtua Fighter 4 Evolutions was :eek:, but shorter as it doesn't have to cover as much. Fatality tutorial lets you turn on infinite time if needs be and let you know were you need to stand.
    6. Tag mode is like a cross between Tekken Tag and the Tag modes in the Dead or Alive games in that characters your characters don't regenerate health when tagged out, but you dont lose once 1 of your characters dies, you have to beat both. You can spend 1 meter to do MVC type assists or tag a character in mid combo to extend combos. Really fun :)
    7. (PS3 only) Kratos fans will love him in this game, he looks, plays and feels like he has literally been plucked out of GOW3 into this game. Its actually a shame he will be banned from tournaments :( cause whilst he's good, unless somebody finds something abusable for him (like an infinite) I doubt he would have been top tier, he's got a lot of cool looking moves that are aren't very practical.

We still haven't unlocked Quan-Chi or Cyber Sub Zero so cant comment on them, lemme know if you have any other questions between now and thursday.

http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_(2011_video_game)#Demo_Version

360 demo tomorrow on X-Box Live, better late then never I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Bit of a silly statement tbh

It was supposed to be because it wasn't very serious :P Humour is sometimes difficult online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It was supposed to be because it wasn't very serious :P Humour is sometimes difficult online.

ha grand, i may of been mid hangover while reading!

Looking forward to this so no doubt it shall be a let down to me :( if it is i swear to christ **** i'll break something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Played the demo, not a massive MK fan but it does seem like every MK fans wet dream. Presentation wise, which was always a large part of the game, it ****ing deffo scores high.

It looks fantastic. Its certainly not a patch on SF gameplay wise etc but its really not meant to be. As an ultra casual gory fighting game its looking like it does its job very very well.

Could see myself picking it up 2nd hand or something sometime in the future just for the novelty of it , few cans with the lads kinda game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Whos getting this on thursday? Lets get some day one hype lobbys going on xbl.

bush wrote: »

Id love to, just like I like getting all my multi player games on the 360, but id feel F'd in the A if I got the 360 version of this game seeing as your actually getting less :( . Its lookin like a PS3 purchase this time for me unfortunately.

• Advertisement

bush wrote: »

HOLA
    everyone needs to buy this
    for the sake of the FG games and midway going bankrupt few years back
    keep the scene alive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Anyone know of the Game Guide will be available in stores Thursday ?

I will deffo pick it up when I get the cash. looks like a great game to me. I like the combo breaker option from the charge bar. Good idea to use bar for defense as well as attack. The sound on this game is great also. There is a nice crunch to the hits :)

First reviews are starting to come in

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-mortal-kombat/713002

9.4 from gametrailers

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1162160p1.html

8/10 from IGN

This is a little too low imo, deserves at least an 8.5/10. The only thing I agree with them with is the cheap bosses in the 1 player modes, I havent played the game online and they did say the netcode was decent but not good so ... meh, but docking marks for saying the characters look just as tacky as they did in the 90's ??? Hello! ?.

I wouldn't put too much weight into review scores. They way we look at fighting games is a little different to how they interpret them.

For example, in the IGN one he goes on a bit about the 1 player. I think I have completed SSF4 twice in one player since I bought it.

I think I have completed SSF4 twice in one player since I bought it.

Thats once more then me, and only did it for the Japanese voice overs :)

Having said that Ive only been playing MK9 offline and the story mode is so good, its probably the most fun Ive had playing a fighting game against the CPU. Some of the boss fights are pretty cheap though, Goro and Kintaro are pretty hard (at first) on their own, having to fight a tag team of 2 regular fighters on your own 2 against 1 style is pretty hard 2, but on your own against Goro and Kintaro as a tag team = rage inducing.

I'm not sure if its competitive/accurate ala SF4 but sure does look like ALOT of fun, the modeS seem great too. It looks like theve done a good job

time will tell.
    how much can i swap/get for the new COD:black ops?

So, whos getting this for PS3 and whos getting it for 360 ?.

I really wish the 360 version had an exclusive character, especially one as cool as Kratos cause Id buy it in a flash, but id feel ripped off if I bought the 360 version of this.

Half my friends are getting it on PS3, and the other half are getting it on 360, nobody who owns both machines is getting the 360 version and I can see why. Just wondering how many peeps on this board are getting it and on which platform ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

This got 5 stars from giant bomb which doesnt happen very ofte.

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    I'm not sure if its competitive/accurate ala SF4 but sure does look like ALOT of fun, the modeS seem great too. It looks like theve done a good job

time will tell.
    how much can i swap/get for the new COD:black ops?

€28 :)

Advertisement