Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Ghost-Hunting TV Series - Would You Watch It?

• 07-10-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

Hello. :) We were discussing whether we would or would not watch an Irish TV series about ghost-hunting/paranormal investigation on Irish television over on the Paranormal forum. The reaction was fairly mixed, tbh.

It was suggested to bring the question over to After Hours to see what typically non-paranormal-minded folk would think of a show of this kind, so that was done, and, predictably, people weren't of much constructive assistance there. A lot of angry, bitter people over there...

So, I'm bringing the thread here to all of you who are inclined to tune in to reality television, seeing as a show like this would verge on being in the reality TV genre.

There's a poll for this as well, so it would be much appreciated if people would cast their vote. It doesn't matter a jot whether or not you believe or don't believe in stuff like ghosts and the afterlife in general. I couldn't care less. What matters only is whether or not the programme would attract your interest. Yes, no, or maybe? I hope that's clear.

Now, ideally, the programme would not run along the lines of the more well-known and infamously farcical 'Most Haunted' (most of you have heard of Derek Acorah, its chief clown, I presume?). Hopefully, it would feature a professional team conducting paranormal investigations of allegedly 'haunted' buildings and sites around Ireland. Also, the investigations might be attended by willing, everyday members of the public.

The show could also be an intriguing opportunity to confirm or to quash any long-standing rumours of various places supposedly being 'haunted' by white ladies, black dogs, headless monks, screaming babies, or whatever else. I'm sure most people can think of at least one place in their hometown, or near it, that has a spooky story or two attached to it.

But, aside from the possible format of the show, do you think you would be inclined to watch a TV show of this nature?

Would you watch an Irish TV show about paranormal investigation of Irish places? 7 votes

Yes, definitely
    0% 0 votes
    No, I would avoid watching it.
    57% 4 votes
    Maybe. My curiosity might get the better of me.
    42% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Someone i know does that for a living,she travels the country already ghost hunt in.Quite interesting really.Just i get really infuriated when they are talking so much in other shows and from some reason dont drown out other sounds to capture the voices they have caught on video.Like in most haunted,they are always talking when something is happening or a voice comes and they dont replay it with other noises gone.
    The best one i saw was when they had an actual apparition walk past the camera and disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

caseyann wrote: »
    Someone i know does that for a living,she travels the country already ghost hunting.Quite interesting really.

I've accompanied a couple of investigation teams both here and in the UK (ghost-hunting/paranormal investigation is hugely popular there, btw) a few times and it was a great laugh. In Ireland especially, it made me view areas from a completely different perspective when I learned about the history and about the local ghost stories associated with each place. I think paranormal investigation is a bit like a hiking expedition (it's actually far more physically demanding than some people realise) - except it takes place at night. :)
    Just i get really infuriated when they are talking so much in other shows and from some reason dont drown out other sounds to capture the voices they have caught on video.

That's just crap editing really and the 'voices' they capture are the dregs of the barrel. Like, that's all they could get in a place after spending about 48 hours there. :rolleyes:
    Like in most haunted,they are always talking when something is happening or a voice comes and they dont replay it with other noises gone.
    The best one i saw was when they had an actual apparition walk past the camera and disappear.

Even Ciaran O' Keeffe (the parapsychologist from MH) has admitted that the investigations were often 'dressed up' to make them appear more exciting than they really were. The constant aim was to simply make good television - not to seriously substantiate the existence of ghosts. Most Haunted has been the worst offender unfortunately.

I don't know about that apparition - I can't recall seeing that - but I'm very wary of Most Haunted's veracity (if any :rolleyes:).

Advertisement