Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the Media Too Soft on Declan Kidney and the Irish Management

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I have a great respect for Kidney as a man, although he doesn't say much in press conferences he is very level-headed, most notably after that defeat by Wales in Cardiff with the illegal throw in.

While I was ready to burn the next Welshman I saw, he was incredibly dignified, and put things into perspective with the Japanese Earthquake. He must have been fuming but not many coaches would have been that level-headed, and there are many that come to mind who wouldn't have been so accepting.

Still think he needs to go though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Tox56 wrote: »
    I have a great respect for Kidney as a man, although he doesn't say much in press conferences he is very level-headed, most notably after that defeat by Wales in Cardiff with the illegal throw in.

While I was ready to burn the next Welshman I saw, he was incredibly dignified, and put things into perspective with the Japanese Earthquake. He must have been fuming but not many coaches would have been that level-headed, and there are many that come to mind who wouldn't have been so accepting.

Still think he needs to go though.

This, Kidney is a gentleman through and through

I think he should go too but I hate all this passive aggressive "Uncle Deccie" ****e you see on here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I think some complaints need to be lodged about Thornley's 'journalism'

sigh, shouldn't even respond

As a journalist myself I can vouch that Thornley is a fantastic rugby reporter

He frequently has leads ahead of everyone else in the nationals and was named Ireland's starting 15 correctly for every game this year

He knows his stuff too, unlike his Indo counterpart

I've said here before that Thronley's proximity to the Irish camp has blighted a lot of his opinion pieces. He's unwilling to bite the hand that's feeding him decent leads, and who can blame him.

I suggest than rather a stupid complaint to the Times that would probably not even be opened, stick to Francis for the opinion and Thornley for the rugby news reportage like I do

Agree completely, he has the inside track on the team and management and as such gives us an idea as to what the thinking is behind the scenes. While I don't like his opinions it actually gives us an idea as to how deluded the current setup is. They think its working while it clearly isn't and in some ways it's more damming than coming out with all guns blazing.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Problem is that our journalists are reporters and opinion writers. There needs to be some kind of difference

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

named Ireland's starting 15 correctly for every game this year

So did I.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    So did I.

Well done :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well done :)

Thank you! :D

My point is more that his "inside line" hasn't been that useful of late. I don't doubt his knowledge or his journalistic integrity, but perhaps the head rugby writer shouldn't be quite so cosy with the camp. It appears to be a comparatively new thing based on his writing on EOS and a comparatively localised thing based on his tirade against the new NIQ regs.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Thank you! :D

My point is more that his "inside line" hasn't been that useful of late. I don't doubt his knowledge or his journalistic integrity, but perhaps the head rugby writer shouldn't be quite so cosy with the camp. It appears to be a comparatively new thing based on his writing on EOS and a comparatively localised thing based on his tirade against the new NIQ regs.

I could have used a better example of his reportage seeing as it wasn't too hard to guess the Irish teams recently!

I agree though, he needs to be less cosy because I do think he is aware of Kidneys problems as a coach

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

Gerry's on Against the Head, wonder what he'll say.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Seph503 wrote: »
    Gerry's on Against the Head, wonder what he'll say.....:rolleyes:
    Let me guess . . .

"This goes right down to club level . . . etc . . . etc".
    "The IRFU have bowed down to the clubs and let the club competition structure remain as it is, instead of sticking oar in and changing it . . . "

YET . . .

"the IRFU are ridiculous for 'interfering' with the provinces when ruling on Succession Policy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

JustinDee wrote: »
    Let me guess . . .

"The IRFU have bowed down to the clubs and let the club competition structure remain as it is, instead of sticking oar in and changing it . . . "

YET . . .

"the IRFU are ridiculous for 'interfering' with the provinces when ruling on Succession Policy".
    iirc all three of the panel had a go at the NIQ proposals, yet also said young Irish props need game time against experienced players. Their solution was the AIL.

I'm not sure where I stand on the NIQ rules tbh, but it sounded ridiculous for Thornley to rail against that rule, and then castigate the IRFU for young props not getting game time. Just to add, I generally don't mind Thornley, even if I think he is a bit soft of Kidney especially in comparison to how he treated EOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

Against the Head....not one criticism.

Sheehan pimps up one of his clients. Says Archer should be on the bench for Ireland. The lad is atrocious at scrummaging and doesn't even cover the two sides! In fact the only thing he does is employ Frankie as his agent it would seem.

I thought Sheehan was reforming...

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Sheehan pimps up one of his clients. Says Archer should be on the bench for Ireland. The lad is atrocious at scrummaging and doesn't even cover the two sides! In fact the only thing he does is employ Frankie as his agent it would seem.

I used to think Sheehan was just a bad commentator but then I realised he actually has deeper, more self-serving motives. I don't know why RTE and Sky both trundle him out. The bias and general low quality commentary is awful. Far worse than anything the likes of Brian Moore produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Warning; Danger; Farrelly alert

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/comment-analysis/hugh-farrelly-scrum-farce-symptom-of-wider-failing-3054217.html

What he says is true to a point but there is no mention of Kideny's reluctance to play Ross earlier than he did;

"the evidence is irrefutable. Ross would have been established in the Ireland side sooner had he not been forced to warm the bench for a season at Leinster behind Stan Wright and CJ van der Linde."

In fact he blames Leinster for not playing Ross sooner by the looks of it.

"With far more clubs to choose from, England do not have the same issues to negotiate and were able to completely revamp their squad after their World Cup disappointment."

:mad:

Most of our squad were from Leinster and the rest from Munster and Ulster; Most of that England team were from Leicester, Northampton and Saracens.

Complete rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

leftleg wrote: »

Complete rubbish

Similar to Hook when he singled out Leinster for importing foreign props after the English game.

Which was weird because Leinster's two starting props are Irish, whereas Munster have no Irish starting props and Ulster only have one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

He frequently has leads ahead of everyone else in the nationals and was named Ireland's starting 15 correctly for every game this year

And he can probably name Ireland's starting XV for the next year right now too.

Shock Horror; Actual accurate article by Hook in todays indo;

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/comment-analysis/george-hook-irfu-must-go-to-school-in-bid-to-solve-prop-problems-3054309.html

"Declan Kidney's hands may have been tied by the failure of his employers to give him competent prop forwards, but his conservatism was exposed for all to see and might of itself have delivered the same if less humiliating result.

The coach's irrational faith in Gordon D'Arcy lasted 45 minutes, and he was forced, in the most important game of the season, to use a backline with two fly-halves and put Jonathan Sexton in the unenviable position of learning centre play on the hoof.

If the Ronan O'Gara/Sexton combination was such a good idea then why not have tested it for 80 minutes against Italy or Scotland when D'Arcy had already shown that a fine career was at an end?"

"Kidney's failure to believe the evidence of his own eyes is encapsulated in the performance of Donnacha Ryan. He was Ireland's best forward on Saturday yet he might never have got a start had Paul O'Connell remained fit. Donncha O'Callaghan, like Heaslip, has been living on a reputation of what lazy pundits call "a lot of unseen work''. Ryan's efforts were a lot more visible."

Excellent article; right on the money for once;

Take a bow everybody on boards; George Hook has been busy copying and pasting from us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Shock Horror; Actual accurate article by Hook in todays indo;

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/comment-analysis/george-hook-irfu-must-go-to-school-in-bid-to-solve-prop-problems-3054309.html

"Declan Kidney's hands may have been tied by the failure of his employers to give him competent prop forwards, but his conservatism was exposed for all to see and might of itself have delivered the same if less humiliating result.

The coach's irrational faith in Gordon D'Arcy lasted 45 minutes, and he was forced, in the most important game of the season, to use a backline with two fly-halves and put Jonathan Sexton in the unenviable position of learning centre play on the hoof.

If the Ronan O'Gara/Sexton combination was such a good idea then why not have tested it for 80 minutes against Italy or Scotland when D'Arcy had already shown that a fine career was at an end?"

"Kidney's failure to believe the evidence of his own eyes is encapsulated in the performance of Donnacha Ryan. He was Ireland's best forward on Saturday yet he might never have got a start had Paul O'Connell remained fit. Donncha O'Callaghan, like Heaslip, has been living on a reputation of what lazy pundits call "a lot of unseen work''. Ryan's efforts were a lot more visible."

Excellent article; right on the money for once;

Take a bow everybody on boards; George Hook has been busy copying and pasting from us all.
    :cool:

To be fair to George, I've noticed lately that the hammer is actually hitting the nail more often than statistical probability would predict.

I wonder which one of the posters on here is George Hook hmmmm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

George Hook is a different beast on tv than he is in print media or on radio.

It strikes me that he gets wound up massively during a game, and can end up spouting nonsense, a lá the average match thread.

When he thinks, he can be spot on. I remember seeing him do punditry on a game recently enough when he was absolutely correct about everything he said. I think when he's emotionally connected to a game, he can lose the rag far too easily.

That being said, he has a serious axe to grind with Heaslip. For someone who uses Twitter so much himself, I think Hook's not a fan of Heaslip apparently having some sort of "playboy" image.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

It's ironic Hugh Farrelly bemoaning the small pool of teams we have to chose from when he all but ignores most Ulster players in his articles never mind Connacht ones. In his assessment of 2nd rows available prior to the 6N he barely mentioned Tuohy or his form this season. Even last week he called Chris Henry a 6/8 playing out of position.

Speaking of Hook too I remember he used to post on the BBC message boards, 606, he'd stick up a match review after HEC games. I think he stopped posting after an unfavourable response to a fairly scathing assessment he gave of Leinsters performance away to Castres in 09. This was when the Irish media still had a love in with Munster and Leinster had yet to shake off the ladyboys reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Let me guess . . .

YET . . .

Almost word for word Justin.

In fairness to Frankie he was talking about getting younger props more game time and named Archer along with Hagan and Loughney. It's not like he was sitting there saying Archer was the answer to our problems or anything. He was just picking out young props to facilitate his point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

"the evidence is irrefutable. Ross would have been established in the Ireland side sooner had he not been forced to warm the bench for a season at Leinster behind Stan Wright and CJ van der Linde."

Thats a decent point Ross only had 8 starts in his first season with Leinster and only 2 (out of 8) HEC starts. Had he played maybe twice as much Ross would have been in a better position to claim an Ireland spot the following November.

Sure I would have played Ross in November 2012 and would have picked him at the time but I didn't think it was a crime to leave him out at the time. Mildly disappointing not criminally insane which is how many posters here are presenting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

Thats a decent point Ross only had 8 starts in his first season with Leinster and only 2 (out of 8) HEC starts. Had he played maybe twice as much Ross would have been in a better position to claim an Ireland spot the following November.

Sure I would have played Ross in November 2012 and would have picked him at the time but I didn't think it was a crime to leave him out at the time. Mildly disappointing not criminally insane which is how many posters here are presenting it.

Better position to make a claim yes. Would he have gotten picked ahead of Hayes and Buckley if he had been playing, unfortunately no.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

With regards to the tight head position ( and no fault of Kidney ) why was Jamie Hagan brought to Leinster to put a bum on a seat when he could have got real exposure to HC rugby if he's have stayed at Connacht.
    Also why is Kidney ignoring him ? Is he really that far off what a good tight head is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

RobAMerc wrote: »
    With regards to the tight head position ( and no fault of Kidney ) why was Jamie Hagan brought to Leinster to put a bum on a seat when he could have got real exposure to HC rugby if he's have stayed at Connacht.
    Also why is Kidney ignoring him ? Is he really that far off what a good tight head is ?

He's been working on both his fitness and more importantly his scummaging with Feek. They are using this year to get him up to a satisfactory level, and he is starting to get where they want him. He has already started a HEC game for Leinster, and has been getting regular gametime elsewhere.

Yes he would have got more HEC gametime with Connacht, but I think this is more beneficial for his developement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Probably the same reason that Ross didn't get much gametime in his first Leinster season. The coaching team is busy working on his fitness and teaching to play Rugby rather than scrum lie down next to a ruck and occasionally carry first phase crashball and wait for the next scrum.

There is a plan for Hagan in Leinster he isn't just being left to rot as third choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

rrpc wrote: »
    To be fair to George, I've noticed lately that the hammer is actually hitting the nail more often than statistical probability would predict.
    He conveniently ignores Jamie Heaslip's tackle-count and turnover tally for each and every game. These stats are given out at the press conferences that he never attends and are passed up to the studio as soon as done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He conveniently ignores Jamie Heaslip's tackle-count and turnover tally for each and every game. These stats are given out at the press conferences that he never attends and are passed up to the studio as soon as done.

How does someone get a look at these stats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Similar to Hook when he singled out Leinster for importing foreign props after the English game.

Which was weird because Leinster's two starting props are Irish, whereas Munster have no Irish starting props and Ulster only have one.

tbh I think that had more to do with his belief that Leinster actually had/have young props that could have been developed

also, Ross is ex-Munster brought in from UK and played second behind Stan Wright to begin with

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement