Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College project - I need help

• 02-04-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,so I am completely new to the whole Arduino world of things and have decided to use it for a college project. The idea of the project is to have a postbox secured with a magnetic lock. The lock will only open when the correct QR code has been scanned with a scanner and matched up with code pre-entered into a database. For now I want to forget about the database as I don't yet have an ethernet shield, so I was wondering how would I go about using a limit switch to change the status of the lock i.e fom on to off or vice versa.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

Hi Paul,

I am not 100% sure of what you are asking. It would be easy for an arduino to turn on and off a magnetic lock. As for reading a QR code, I don't think an arduino on it's own would be enough, it would probably need a laptop with a webcam or similar, this could then connect to the arduino using a USB lead.

When you say a limit switch I don't understand. It's best to start with aims, and what ideas you have. Is there any reasons you need to use an arduino or specific budget, timeline, aims etc?

How about for example instead of a QR code using a standard barcode instead. This would remove the whole image recognition problem and you can use an off the shelf barcode scanner that outputs serial direct into the arduino. This would remove the need for a PC for processing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Could you use an Arduino based RFID reader instead? It's a more embedded technology, with a tag in your wallet you could open the postbox.

http://www.jeremyblum.com/2011/07/08/tutorial-12-for-arduino-rfid-card-reading/

(I have very little Arduino knowhow so I'm not sure of the usability of this.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

fitz0 wrote: »
    Could you use an Arduino based RFID reader instead?

I have built a complete Arduino based RFID system in the past. It was low cost and easy. The code is working 100% if needed.

Advertisement