Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

alastair wrote: »
    Everyone keep their eyes peeled at the National Stadium protest. Unfortunately Olivia O'Leary will not be attending, but they still hope to make the full 2,000.

Don't register, pay later.

Most realise that you don't even have to leave your armchair for this protest. That's the beauty of it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

PTSB own my house so I dont have to pay it so (technically speaking )
    Would this stand up in court if it came to it ?
    It will be 27 years before the house is legally mine :-)

It wouldnt stand up in court. You are the legal owner now. You just have a loan secured on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

dvpower wrote: »
    What question do you want answered?
    Slick50 wrote: »
    dvpower wrote: »
    The Revenue currently have the power to make an attachment order on the authorisation of a Principal Officer in the Collector General's office, without any court order. Its quite an inexpensive process.
    I see big Phil is still threatening people who don't register, with court action. Perhaps you can forward him a link to this legislation, and save the country some cash like the good patriot you are. Seeing as it's too much trouble to post it here

How about responding to the bit highlighted in bold, seeing as you won't post a link, like you so often seek from others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Where To wrote: »
    <SNIP>

So we have someone on here who is exempt looking for everyone else to pay. Only in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Wild Bill just got himself put on the old ignore list. Feel free to bug others with your freeman ramblings.

Having accused me of "Freeman ramblings" (as you have several other) you could at least explain what they are?

Is it my advocacy of democracy?

Or my opposition to Government threats of violence? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

<SNIP>

Isn't that from someone opposed to the charge?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Wild Bill wrote: »
    alastair, Having accused me of "Freeman ramblings" (as you have several other) you could at least explain what they are?

Is it my advocacy of democracy?

Or my opposition to Government threats of violence? :confused:

Good question.

i am going to have a great laugh when I see them extending the deadline for payment.
    Veradkar has said it won't happen but I think it will when they realise how few have paid.
    How the mighty will backtrack. I can see it coming.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Could have a game of give us a clue, or just tell us who:)

Or explain how the sentiments expressed in that PM could be interpreted as supporting the charge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Slick50 wrote: »
    How about responding to the bit highlighted in bold, seeing as you won't post a link, like you so often seek from others.
    Are you telling me that you can't find the legislation?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Do NOT post PMs here.
    Thanks.

i am going to have a great laugh when I see them extending the deadline for payment.
    Veradkar has said it won't happen but I think it will when they realise how few have paid.
    How the mighty will backtrack. I can see it coming.

I can't - the tenner late fine would be far more sensible.

<SNIP>

Followed that link and all I get is

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

:confused:

Veradker stated it only had to be paid this year in order to show up in end of year figures.

Followed that link and all I get is

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

:confused:

It was deleted.

mikom wrote: »
    Good question.

It is a good question; too good it appears as it seems the "freeman theorist" is stumped for an answer! :cool:

Or explain how the sentiments expressed in that PM could be interpreted as supporting the charge?

i dont really care if it was or not. Its you that thinks your in a contest here.

Originally Posted by mikom viewpost.gif
    Good question.

It is a good question; too good it appears as it seems the "freeman theorist" is stumped for an answer! :cool:

Give him time.

i dont really care if it was or not. Its you that thinks your in a contest here.

You're happy to have comments passed off as their opposing views? The PM was obviously from someone opposed to the charge - hence the question. No idea what 'contest' you think is at play.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    [/I]

Give him time.

Seems to have endless amounts of that! Maybe he's gone to the anti-tax rally :confused:

I feel I may have convinced him of the illegitimacy of the assault on democracy by the current Regime.

It takes a big man to admit he's utterly wrong - fair play.

You're happy to have comments passed off as their opposing views? The PM was obviously from someone opposed to the charge - hence the question. No idea what 'contest' you think is at play.

Yea, PM`s posted in the live thread. Thats why i asked are we to have a game of guess who now. What was the motive for posting a PM?

Yea, PM`s posted in the live thread. Thats why i asked are we to have a game of guess who now. What was the motive for posting a PM?

? You've lost me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Don't mind me folks I'm just a 'thanks-whore' and a 'troll' who will be eating humble pie in eleven days time apparently :confused:

Someone was just concerned that I wasn't contributing enough to this thread but in all honesty I've been really busy what with real life, paying the household charge, helping my elderly neighbours pay theirs etc.:p

I can't - the tenner late fine would be far more sensible.

I would love if they eventually call to the doors looking to collect the 100e tax.

Collector -- i am looking for the 100e Household Tax.
    Tayto Lover -- Come on in and i'll give you a hand to look for it. Ha ha great craic.

Originally Posted by mikom viewpost.gif
    Give him time.

Seems to have endless amounts of that! Maybe he's gone to the anti-tax rally :confused:

I feel I may have convinced him of the illegitimacy of the assault on democracy by the current Regime.

It takes a big man to admit he's utterly wrong - fair play.

You're probably right.

Don't mind me folks I'm just a 'thanks-whore' and a 'troll' who will be eating humble pie in eleven days time apparently :confused:

Someone was just concerned that I wasn't contributing enough to this thread but in all honesty I've been really busy what with real life, paying the household charge, helping my elderly neighbours pay theirs etc.:p

Putting up another posters PM is just silly carry on though. Whichever side you or they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

mconigol wrote: »
    The turkeys voted for Christmas. There's nothing recent about it. The majority of the population continually voted in FF and have to accept the consequences of those actions now.

This is simply not true, which is why we had successive coalition governments.
    In hindsight people may not like the decisions successive coalition governments made however at the time they were more than happy to send them back in for consecutive terms. If that is not an endorsement of the policies and principles of the people who made the decisions which brought the country to its current juncture I don't know what is.

The fact that no party could command an overall majority, even at a time of unprecedented "wealth" and growth, shows that many were uncomfortable with what was going on.
    This rubbish that all of a sudden the country was being ruled undemocratically needs to be banished because it's simply not true. The signs were there, they weren't subtle.

Which is what governments are elected to watch out for. It is their duty to run the economy in a sustainable manner, your average joe soap was to busy going about his/her daily life.
    A large part of the population hold responsibility for electing these officials. They could have chose not to but they didn't.

They didn't elect them last time, but we're still getting the same policies, cronyism and self serving arrogance. "The king is dead, long live the king"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

I'm against paying at the moment.While not posting I have been following this thread. Was only getting more confused so went off to do a little reading on the charge. I now can state why I am not paying.
    Revenues from this charge will support local services-
    Fire services,nearest one from me is about 10 miles away. Unless it's a slow fire I'm screwed anyway(no disrespect to the fireservice,not your fault)
    Maintainance of streets-Already provided by scheme related to unemployed.Already contributing to that through taxes.
    Street lighting-None where I live
    Planning and developmental services-Got such grief from these when trying to build my own home,3 year battle to get planning,and paid €10600 in fees towards local services.
    Public parks-None in our area
    Open spaces-Maintained by above scheme
    Leisure facilities-Pay yearly now for any locally.Will these now be free to use?
    After reading all I could it seems this MAY be introduced as a stepping stone to property taxes.Having lived in another country where I paid property tax I would not be opposed to it if I recieve the same level of service that I recieved then.Police service excellent,fire service close and top notch,rubbish and recycling pickup 3 times a week,excellent schools and a decent hospital service.The amount you paid was reflected in the services you had.
    Unfortunatly here a blanket 1 payment is easier for the government to apply. If more planning and thought were put into these charges and taxes then I don't think we would have the same unsettled response to the payments.

• Advertisement

jluv wrote: »
    I'm against paying at the moment.While not posting I have been following this thread. Was only getting more confused so went off to do a little reading on the charge. I now can state why I am not paying.
    Revenues from this charge will support local services-
    Fire services,nearest one from me is about 10 miles away. Unless it's a slow fire I'm screwed anyway(no disrespect to the fireservice,not your fault)
    Maintainance of streets-Already provided by scheme related to unemployed.Already contributing to that through taxes.
    Street lighting-None where I live
    Planning and developmental services-Got such grief from these when trying to build my own home,3 year battle to get planning,and paid €10600 in fees towards local services.
    Public parks-None in our area
    Open spaces-Maintained by above scheme
    Leisure facilities-Pay yearly now for any locally.Will these now be free to use?
    After reading all I could it seems this MAY be introduced as a stepping stone to property taxes.Having lived in another country where I paid property tax I would not be opposed to it if I recieve the same level of service that I recieved then.Police service excellent,fire service close and top notch,rubbish and recycling pickup 3 times a week,excellent schools and a decent hospital service.The amount you paid was reflected in the services you had.
    Unfortunatly here a blanket 1 payment is easier for the government to apply. If more planning and thought were put into these charges and taxes then I don't think we would have the same unsettled response to the payments.

Ask alastair there, he says the payment is not for services, but is a tax on the wealth in your home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement