Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

If you could change how our bodies worked

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Doc wrote: »
    Pain is like having some annoying git constantly poking you telling you something you already know.

I completely understand your point of view and, some time ago, I was thinking exactly the same. However, pain is a defense mechanism needed to protect your body also from yourself. I agree that, most of the time, there isn't much we can do about it, but you should also see it the other way round: a broken finger that hurts won't be used. If pain subsides, we naturally tend to forget about the injury and, without thinking, we use the damaged body part, worsening the condition.

I have a perfect example of this. Many years ago, a classmate's grandma started losing sensitivity in her left hand. She didn't mind it much, to her it simply meant that she couldn't feel much with it, including pain. One day, she inadvertently put the hand on a hot hob, and she noticed only when she smelled it. To her it felt like mildly warm. They had to rush her to the hospital with severe burns, which she didn't feel, and tie her arm so that she wouldn't use her hand while it was healing.

Simply put, pain can save us from ourselves (although I agree it can be so annoying).

maximoose wrote: »
    I'd change the way a hangover manifests itself.

Gone would be the headaches, the wretching stomach, sore teeth, exhaustion etc

Drink less, mission accomplished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

daigo75 wrote: »

You're fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Well thats no fun....Id rather be a trooper with a hangover!!

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    You're fun.

Thanks. And yes, I know.
    syndeyfife wrote: »
    Well thats no fun....Id rather be a trooper with a hangover!!

Then I must have had so much "non-fun" in my life, since I got drunk twice in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Sound Bite wrote: »
    Easy one. I'd change the reproductive system. Elimate periods cos they're painfuly annoying. Instead on having to take a pill to prevent pregnancy, it should be the other way around. Everyone would be infertile and you've have to take a pill in order to get pregnant. Unlike the contraeptive pill, this pill would be 100% effective. If you want a child you can have one, if you don't want one, you cannot have one unless you specifically decide to do so.

There would be no infertility problems, no accidents, no unwanted children, no abortions. The people who want kids would have them and those that don't won't.

Don't know where I lie on the where did we come from debate, but regardless of how we got here this is a biggest flaw in our design!

Anyone looking for the wimmins on boards just look at the names that thanked this post. Any males that thanked this post I don't know what to say to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

jiltloop wrote: »
    Anyone looking for the wimmins on boards just look at the names that thanked this post. Any males that thanked this post I don't know what to say to you.

They were thanking it for the lack of having to wear condoms Id say!

Quite possible actually, the dirty STD ridden feckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sound Bite wrote: »
    Easy one. I'd change the reproductive system. Elimate periods cos they're painfuly annoying. Instead on having to take a pill to prevent pregnancy, it should be the other way around. Everyone would be infertile and you've have to take a pill in order to get pregnant. Unlike the contraeptive pill, this pill would be 100% effective. If you want a child you can have one, if you don't want one, you cannot have one unless you specifically decide to do so.

There would be no infertility problems, no accidents, no unwanted children, no abortions. The people who want kids would have them and those that don't won't.

Don't know where I lie on the where did we come from debate, but regardless of how we got here this is a biggest flaw in our design!

Its not a flaw though. You are looking at it from a convenience/civilisation point of view. The design brought about through evolution, is to ensure our continuation in our natural enviroment. It works or did work well at that.

Requiring pills to ensure reproduction would leave a higher chance of extinction, should the pills ever suddenly become unavailable for any reason.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Its not a flaw though. You are looking at it from a convenience/civilisation point of view. The design brought about through evolution, is to ensure our continuation in our natural enviroment. It works or did work well at that.

Requiring pills to ensure reproduction would leave a higher chance of extinction, should the pills ever suddenly become unavailable for any reason.

Yeah wouldn't want to rely on pfizer for the future of mankind, especially when they're sacking Irish people and out sourcing to 3rd world countries. What if they went bankrupt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

jiltloop wrote: »

How about we make it so that the women are desperate for a shift and it's the man who can't be arsed. Mens chief interests can be innocent wholesome ones such as sport, steak and beer but women will really have to work if they want anything else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Clitlady

How about we make it so that the women are desperate for a shift and it's the man who can't be arsed. Mens chief interests can be innocent wholesome ones such as sport, steak and beer but women will really have to work if they want anything else :D

Dream on son

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I completely understand your point of view and, some time ago, I was thinking exactly the same. However, pain is a defense mechanism needed to protect your body also from yourself. I agree that, most of the time, there isn't much we can do about it, but you should also see it the other way round: a broken finger that hurts won't be used. If pain subsides, we naturally tend to forget about the injury and, without thinking, we use the damaged body part, worsening the condition.

I have a perfect example of this. Many years ago, a classmate's grandma started losing sensitivity in her left hand. She didn't mind it much, to her it simply meant that she couldn't feel much with it, including pain. One day, she inadvertently put the hand on a hot hob, and she noticed only when she smelled it. To her it felt like mildly warm. They had to rush her to the hospital with severe burns, which she didn't feel, and tie her arm so that she wouldn't use her hand while it was healing.

Simply put, pain can save us from ourselves (although I agree it can be so annoying).

But you missed my point I wasn't asking for the body not to experience any more pain I was asking for an option to suppress the pain you feel from an existing injury that you can do nothing about for a set amount of time so you could for example get to sleep. I also said that if you injured yourself further during that time the pain would come back.I put a limit on the amount of time you could do it for so that you wouldn't forget you have the injury.

Advertisement