Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dog eating his own poo

Options
  • 01-12-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

We have a 2 year old male golden retriever who if he gets the chance will eat his own poo.

We make a point of cleaning it up as soon as he goes, but there's obviously sometimes when we're not around to do so.

Worried about not only the hygiene (small child in the house) but also for the dogs health.

Any ideas/tips/tricks we could try to get him to stop?

Thanks
    R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Usual cause of this is if there's too much protein in the diet. Poo smells just like the dogs food when it comes out the rear end, therefore they eat it thinking it's food. Happened to my girl when she was younger just a matter of finding the right feed for her. She doesn't do it now.

Other cause might be she's not getting enough minerals/vitamins from the diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Some think this is a sign of a nurtiend defeciency, or paracites. Has he been wormed lately.

Try feeding him some pineapple or spinach in with his reg food for a few days. It's nice going in but not when coming out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Some people say adding some pineapple to the dogs food stops them from eating it, works for some but not for others.

What food are you feeding her? Is it something low quality like pedigree, brandy, bakers etc.? Try changing to something of a higher quality like orijen, burns, james wellbeloved, royal canin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

Dogs tend to eat their own poo for two reasons:

1. Dietrary.

Check what you are feeding the dog, is he getting good quality food and enough of it (dogs need more food in the winter time).

Good quality food does not mean expensive. Red Mills do a good range which is not expensive, is Irish made and contains less additives than other foods. Avoid 'human friendly food' the kind that has bits of coloured thingies in it, it's full of colours and additives and nasties. You can get red mills in most pet supply stores. Sometimes feeding the dog a diet that is too rich causes it to excrete poo with left over 'yummies' that are attractive to the dog. Cut out the treats and meat, feed only 'nut' type hard food, no added gravy or anything, and def. no cans.

It can be difficult to guage the 'condition' of a heavy coated dog like the GR - you should be able to feel the ribs, but not the spine and when looking at the dog from above, he should have a 'waist'. The best bet is to get your vet to have a look at him and advise you on how much you should be feeding.

2. Behavioural

Somehow, the dog began to engage in this behaviour and it is now stuck as a habit. This might be difficult to cure. but try this...

Watch the dog carefully and immediatly after he has done a poo, present a tasty treat or his favourite toy as a distraction, making a big fuss over it. If the dog won't leave the poo, you might have to resort to negative reinforcement ( I don't mean with a stick)

Simply fill a spray bottle with water and as the dog goes towards the poo, you shout 'LEAVE IT' while delivering a sharp squirt on the nose. As soon as he turns away from the poo, praise him and give him a treat.

You would be better off waiting until you have a few days off together with the dog so that you can be consistant in the training - in order for it to work, you will have to be there for every poo, at least at the start.

As for hygeine, his health won't be affected - but I would keep him away from your children until his problem is solved as he will be carrying a higher than normal bacterial load, not just in his mouth, but on his coat, from where he has been grooming himself. Also - make sure his worm dose is up to date.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Is it something low quality like pedigree, brandy, bakers etc.?

Pedigree & Purina might seriously disagree with you. I have personally used Pedigree for over 30 years & can't fault it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Discodog wrote: »
    Pedigree & Purina might seriously disagree with you. I have personally used Pedigree for over 30 years & can't fault it.

Of course they would, they would hardly agree with me, it wouldn't exactly make good business sense! Fair enough thats your opinion and personal experience with it, but personally I would never recommend it to anyone or feed it to my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dogs just like eating poo... We run ours in a cattle field and they love the cowpats.

They will eat human poo given the chance.

Urge to clean up maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

what if you put muzzle on dog, when you are not present, and then when you are and muzzle is off, put cayenne pepper on poo, when he tries this a few times, it may put him off

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

It's dangerous to muzzle a dog when you are not there. The cayenne pepper is an interesting idea.

About pedigree - I've kept dogs for many years and never feed that stuff to my dogs, it's the 'humanised' colourants they put in it... dogs are partially colour blind, they aren't attracted by colourful food, it's all about the scent for them. Dogs have different dietry requirements to humans, something humnans forget about

I have used their 'puppy' product a couple of times, but only as an emergency. There are much better and cheaper products on the market, buy what your dog needs, not what you think looks yummy or cute in the bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tippgirl1

There was a dog doing this on a sky1 programme maybe in October last year called embarrassing pets or something like that the vet on it said that particular dog wasn't being fed enough and he was hungry so I know you're probably very vigilant but if you can weigh your dog or if he was at the vets recently ring and ask for his weight and double check the amount you're feeding him. I know it was only a tv show but if nothing else works it might be worth a shot. You could also try spreading his food out more during the day but not feeding him extra if he doesn't need it.

I hope you got this sorted already but just thought I'd share incase you hadn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 janvrin

How often are you feeding your dog? it could be that he is hungry. My lurcher would eat her poo when I got her first but I got her on to a different eating plan. I would give her 4 small/medium meals a day. I supervised her when outside and cleaned up any faeces immediately.

It could have been something that is not a habit and may not be a nutritional issue but best to go and see your vet if you can.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

Of course they would, they would hardly agree with me, it wouldn't exactly make good business sense! Fair enough thats your opinion and personal experience with it, but personally I would never recommend it to anyone or feed it to my dog.

That's interesting. I've heard the likes of Pedigree etc are like the doggy equivilant of McDonalds. Sure, you can survive on it, but in the long run it's not the best for the dogs. I have fed pedigree in the past, but I'd never give it long-term. 30 years is a long time though, are you supplementing it with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Its called Coporphagia. It can be caused by worms or a lack of nutrition in the diet.

Worm your dog and then repeat the process in 3-4 weeks. If this doesnt work take it to the vet and consider blood tests to see if its defficient in anything specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Petmania stocks stuff that will deter the dog from eating its poo, not sure if it comes in tablet form or what.... I only know because I saw it in the shop yesterday and started laughing at the thought of it but obviously, the problem is more widespread than I thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Put pineapple juice in his food, it makes the poo taste nasty to dogs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1000. Look up any number of online sites who have analysed the ingredients and you'd not feed it to your dog. Indeed you'd feel bad arming rat traps with it. Very low meat content and said "meat" from untraceable sources. Then the additives. In some of the range there are additives that are actively banned for human consumption. Then the other ingredients like colourings. Why the hell does a dog food need colourings? They have a different colour vision to us. If you want links, non hippie actual scientific links, I can supply same. They're not the only ones, not by a long shot, but they're among the most visible in the BS we've all been sold(expensively).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

My smaller dog used to eat her own poo and our Labradors. We got tablets to stop her doing it from pet mania and she hasn't done it in a year since we gave them to her. The tablets are called Stool-Um and have a border collie on front of the box. Its not expensive either :) Feeding dry nuts instead of wet food will also help with the situation like other posters have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Pineapple has never failed for me - dogs love it as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Yup. When my dog was a pup she was eating her own poo, and I asked the vet. She said to try pineapple juice and/or ground-up eggshells. Tried the pineapple juice from tinned pineapple and it worked within a couple of days. And she lapped it up happily with her food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

We have a 2 year old male golden retriever who if he gets the chance will eat his own poo.

We make a point of cleaning it up as soon as he goes, but there's obviously sometimes when we're not around to do so.

Worried about not only the hygiene (small child in the house) but also for the dogs health.

Any ideas/tips/tricks we could try to get him to stop?

Thanks
    R

Coprophagia's a perfectly natural behaviour for scavenging carnivores. When the diet isn't quite right, notably when it lacks Vitamin B or K (these are produced by bacteria in the back passage, when dogs are low on these vitamins, say when eating dry food!! as the vitamin content of dry food drops sharply from the moment of production to your dogs dinner bowl) they will ingest faeces that is coated in it, their own or more likely someone elses. Another reason is a lack of adequate protein so the dog sees faeces (especially high protein, nutritious faeces like human and fox) as a way of getting it in there.

Taken from my own stuff....

"......Another problem with large fetid masses [a result of dry food containing huge amounts of fibre, bulking the stool] is coprophagia, or poo eating. Dogs will eat poo for many reasons but today it boils down to two reasons – boredom/stress and nutrition of which the latter is most important. Dogs will naturally eat other animals poo (humans included) for nutritive reasons. Chronically underfed and malnourished individuals are seen to part take (Serpell 1995) more than well nourished counterparts. Butler and du Toit (2006) documented that dogs in Zimbabwe were fed a low protein diet by people in the village and when left to roam during the day human waste made up 20% of their diet.

Coprophagic dogs will rarely consume the stool of a carnivore / raw meat fed dog as it will have been more completely digested and what is left is of little nutritional value. There are many nutritional benefits to eating herbivore faeces. It is full of nutrients and vitamins from the healthy vegetarian diet. Symbiotic bacteria in the large intestines of animals produce important vitamins such as vitamin K, thiamine (B1), and riboflavin (B2) (Feldhammer 2007). Dogs fed a diet low in these specific nutrients may seek out faces to top up said nutrient levels. Furthermore these heaps will be high in protein, particularly in the case of human and cat faeces, and explaining the high incidence of coprophagia in Zimbabwean dogs fed "little by means of fresh protein".

As we have discussed dogs rapidly learn to associate food items with physiological consequences which results in a preference for that food item. This explains why coprophagia may appear as a “habit”. It is no more a habit than the eating of oranges by sailors to avoid scurvy. It is a necessity brought about by a mineral deficiency. Without published evidence I can only cite my professional experience that coprophagia is very rare in fresh, raw fed dogs. Many animals demonstrate nutrient specific hungers which evaporate when the animal is given a food loaded with that nutrient (Baker et al. (1987)). In this way poo can be quite tasty. Lacking the wealth of taste receptors that are normal in omnivores like humans, the dog might find it easier than us to perform such an act!

While appropriate diet can certainly reduce this issue to nil it must be remembered that coprophagia comes naturally to a dog, so don't stress, you're not a bad parent. Including pineapple / courgette in your dogs dinner will make the faeces unappealing while you go about discovering why your dog needs to eat so much faeces in the first place. Look first to low vitamin content food and foods of low (quantity and quality) protein as your lead causes."

Refs available on request.

• Advertisement
Advertisement