Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat has sore-ish eyes.

• 02-12-2011 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Quick cat question guys. I woke up this morning to find that my cat seems to have sore eyes. The white bits on the inside of both her eyes are more prominent than usual. Besides that, she does not appear to be unwell. Still obsessing about food and from the interludes between begging for breakfast seems in a good mood.

I read in another post that cats can hide their illness quite well. So, I am just wondering if I should bring my cat to the vet today or just wait and see.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The third eyelid showing is a sign of illness such as cat flu. Keep an eye on her that she's still drinking as they can become dehydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Oh my god, I know I saw her paw prints in concrete we poured yesterday. If she licked her paws, would this cause it? I am at work right now. Honestly, will this kill her? Should I leave work and bring her to the vet. Starting to panic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Oh my god, I know I saw her paw prints in concrete we poured yesterday. If she licked her paws, would this cause it? I am at work right now. Honestly, will this kill her? Should I leave work and bring her to the vet. Starting to panic now.

If she's still eating and drinking and in good form I wouldn't panic. I'm not sure if there is anything in concrete that could harm them, a quick phonecall to the vets would put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Cats do hide illness incredibly well and unless you know your cat inside and out, it can often be difficult to tell until it escalates.
    If the third eyelid is showing, there's definitely something not right and I would take your cat to see the vet this evening when you get in from work.
    There's a chance that she did get some gunk from your newly laid concrete on her paws and she may well have cleaned her head/face/eyes with those paws which irritated her eyes. On the other hand it could be something like cat flu or indeed something completely unrelated.

It's unlikely that she'll die from licking the concrete residue off her paws but then again it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Most of us will give you the best advice we can from our own, in some cases vast, experience but there are few fit to properly diagnose illness so you're better off to bundle her off to the vet as soon as you get home.

Ok thanks a million - I will bring her to the vet when I get home.

My poor little baby never goes out, especially on wet days. She hates getting mucky!!! She must have been enticed out by the nice clean concrete. We had kept the three cats in while it set but then let them out thinking it was hard. Obviously not! I sure hope she will be ok. The other two are fine - but they are not such clean freaks.

I feel so stupid now.

• Advertisement

I was just wondering how you got on at the vets emmabrighton?
    Looking forward to hearing good news.

heya, sorry - was offline this weekend :)

The vet said it was an allergic reaction to something that she had come in contact with. She has been prescribed eye drops and was given a long lasting anti inflammatory shot. That, coupled with lots of alone time with mam and dad on the couch has resulted in a very happy kitty.

:) Thanks for thinking of her

heya, sorry - was offline this weekend :)

The vet said it was an allergic reaction to something that she had come in contact with. She has been prescribed eye drops and was given a long lasting anti inflammatory shot. That, coupled with lots of alone time with mam and dad on the couch has resulted in a very happy kitty.

:) Thanks for thinking of her

I'm delighted to hear that it's good news and that she's on the mend now. It's awful to hear of any one of our furbabies feeling poorly.

I had to bring my girl back into the vet today for a check-up to see how she was improving. The vet was concerned that her third eyelid was still showing and said that it could be nerve damadge and it would always be this way. He also said that considering her lack of progress, the cat may have come in contact with round-up and that may have been the cause of it.

I am also thinking that because we are now *fostering* his sisters dogs that stress might be an issue and I work away monday to friday that if I took her with me that might help? And changing her food? I started on Hills and then when things got tight moved to GoCat but then changed to Gain thanks to all the advice here but she has a Whiskas addiction - would it help if I just drew a line under it and said "NO MORE, MUNCHIE!!!!" you have to stop!

She is such a pretty little girl that, even if she feels 100% now, I don't want her third eyelid to be a permanent thing. I was even planning on putting her in a Moggie Cat Show next feb in Limerick! So, if anyone has alternative therapies that will improve her chances, can you suggest them to me. I really appreciate all your input and thanks for all the help you have given in the past few months since I joined.

Merry Christmas all A&P Boardsies xxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Has she been wormed recently
    Bathe the eye and keep clear of gunk. L-Lysine is great for boosting their immune systems, you can buy tabs and crush them, sprinkle over her food. Fingers crossed it calms down soon for her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement