Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[FEEDBACK] any suggestions on how to improve the forum? post them here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

A live chat because it would help in searching for items Alot because you could say what you want and somebody might have it and they will tell you

This has been discussed before and it cant be done due to the limitations of vbulletian.

But on the plus side thats what airsoft adverts is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

is there a way of stopping people from digging up threads by any chance?
    Like have them expire after a certain amount of time.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    is there a way of stopping people from digging up threads by any chance?
    Like have them expire after a certain amount of time.

It eventually happens. Where an inactive thread drops off the radar and into the archives.

The reason we pushed for the prefixes of for sale,trade etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭derek84

How can i change the prefixes of for sale to sold as i cant access the prefixes after a few replies or maybe its just me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

derek84 wrote: »
    How can i change the prefixes of for sale to sold as i cant access the prefixes after a few replies or maybe its just me :o

you have to ask a mod.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

derek84 wrote: »
    If it's within 48 hours of posting (i.e. you can still edit the first post) then hit edit -> go advanced and you can change it.

Otherwise, as P4DDY2K11 said, report your own post and we'll sort it for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭adamj1980

HI, im only a new comer to boards, and im not on as much as most. But by trying to offer my car sound system as a trade item to hopefully obtain what im looking for, i get defformated as a spammer by a moderator, and im not spamming, just dislexic when it comes to understanding online forums and how they opperate.
    So i suggest that if a moderator has an issue, be it personal or buisness with a particular user, he/she should send a private message, instead of publically hummiliating the person in a forum for all to see, esp if the person is dislexic to to understanding of the online scene as i am, FOrgive my misspellins. Thanks for reading my Sugestion, as its just a sugestion.

adamj1980 wrote: »
    HI, im only a new comer to boards, and im not on as much as most. But by trying to offer my car sound system as a trade item to hopefully obtain what im looking for, i get defformated as a spammer by a moderator, and im not spamming, just dislexic when it comes to understanding online forums and how they opperate.
    So i suggest that if a moderator has an issue, be it personal or buisness with a particular user, he/she should send a private message, instead of publically hummiliating the person in a forum for all to see, esp if the person is dislexic to to understanding of the online scene as i am, FOrgive my misspellins. Thanks for reading my Sugestion, as its just a sugestion.

As it was me the mod dealing with the situation i'll explain here. First up in the post in question i had never directly called you a spammer I asked you to stop spamming with the same post, it had been posted 11 times.

Here is what i said qoute taken from the scar h thread
    Adamj1980.

Please stop spamming the adverts section about a car system as you have posted from a quick check is about 11 times. With the same post.

If i see another regarding your system it will be treated as spam and you dealt with as a spammer in accordance with site rules.

Posting about the sound system in one or two threads as a trade is fine, posting it in 11 threads looks very spamy and thus had been reported to the mods via the report post fuction. And I happend to be the mod that was online at the time to deal with it.

As always if there is a problem with a mod please follow the Dispute Resolution Procedure that can be found at www.boards.ie/dispute
    Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Sticky: [RULES OF THE FORUM] Airsoft - Adverts forum charter - MUST READ BEFORE YOU POST
    o1s1n
    My suggestion is to make the above about 5 times bigger as a lot of posters don't seem to be able to see it , this may seem a bit OTT but you Mods have had a hell of a time lately locking threads where it is clear that nobody reads the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭adamj1980

Thank you for clearing it up, as I said, due to unfamiliarity to these forum sites, I take full responsibility for the mishap. Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dinko4gr

how about a rule on making the wanted threads more specific instead of
    "airsoft gun NOW" "i wants some pewpew" "gief gun" etc ? i can understand someone might be not sure what he wants. but atleast they should be a tad more specific kinda like looking for an m4 variant or looking for an aeg upgraded for less than 300...

not to forget my all time favorite http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056465609

no disrespect meant to any person that has posted any of the above but come on ... do a lil bit of search get a feel of what you like/looking for and then post.

my 2 cents feel free to flame me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

Paul,
    Please list exactly what you have for sale and the asking price / FPS for each item to comply with the forum rules. Auction threads are not allowed, nor is inviting off thread dealing.
    The same rules apply to everyone here.
    Quote from steve, after locking the thread,

Hi Steve,

As i have over 5 years of airsoft stuff, even i could not name it all, i did ask a price, as there was more than one item, and some in working order and some not, i did list a price, from this price to this price, all the guns are under 1J, and as i said, some were working and some not, and i had to many items to list, and i would had more to answer more post's, so i kept the listing sort, so as not to upset other posters, and spoil the sale's threads.
    And were did i inviting off thread dealing, i said, no posting any items, come out to me at the site, and pay for it, and take it away, and the price's i listed, were way under any price ever listed for the items, that i listed.

Regards,
    Paul.
    Sorry Steve, your right, i didn't list a price, only checked it there now, so sorry again.

Just checked it again, i did put up the price's, post 20 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75866689&postcount=20

Regards,

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭THE MINDER

What do we do with the likes of-
    1-Timewasters especially those who ask relentless questions with no real intent:rolleyes:
    2 Those who make offers(bringing down asking)then telling you they will have the money in a month or two leaving you with a new but lower asking price:(-stuff like that:confused::confused:
    3 People PM as sold but not following up on first pms even with a pm to pull out:(
    4 People following up on pm's bit then not turning up to meet:mad::mad::mad:

And on and on it goes-I'd like to do a name and shame section:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭ Tomas Repulsive Goose-step

THE MINDER wrote: »
    1-Timewasters especially those who ask relentless questions with no real intent:rolleyes:
    2 Those who make offers(bringing down asking)then telling you they will have the money in a month or two leaving you with a new but lower asking price:(-stuff like that:confused::confused:
    3 People PM as sold but not following up on first pms even with a pm to pull out:(

This exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

at the moment the only thing you can do is use the feedback thread, its not just for backslapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

With regards to the above post could a poll be arranged to see if members would want a Name And Shame thread?
    I would be 99% more likely to check a Name & Shame thread than I would the Adverts Feedback for the reputation of a perspective buyer.
    The Feedback thread is for experiances of a sale/purchase after it has taken place and although you could post about timewasters Im not too sure many would bother searching as more often than not the posts in Feedback are of good experiances.
    A dedicated Name & Shame thread would be easy to search,would be easly seen when there was a new post(everybody would be curious as to who it was) and act as a deterrant to lads,who may in the future actually have the cash to make purchases,from posting in an advert when they know they cant complete the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭THE MINDER

With regards to the same issue-I've tons of new stuff that I think yeah that wud be great for a project but then dont use it-given guys the chance to pick up a bit of good gear on the cheap-that been said with all the messing about I'm disinclined to post-giving it away for half nothing and then what?? loads of irritation'I'll always try give a good deal(within reason) but in all honesty i dont have the patience(anybody got any up for grabs:)) to deal with what are generally the usual culprits-I would'n want to be totally negative-there are some great users out there that are geuinely a pleasure to deal with-others when there name appears on your thread a certain expletive(Which I wont mention) comes straight to mind! Is it possible to set up an 'ignore list' for adverts section where these guys just dont get in??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

hrta wrote: »
    Paul,
    Please list exactly what you have for sale and the asking price / FPS for each item to comply with the forum rules. Auction threads are not allowed, nor is inviting off thread dealing.
    The same rules apply to everyone here.
    Quote from steve, after locking the thread,

Hi Steve,

As i have over 5 years of airsoft stuff, even i could not name it all, i did ask a price, as there was more than one item, and some in working order and some not, i did list a price, from this price to this price, all the guns are under 1J, and as i said, some were working and some not, and i had to many items to list, and i would had more to answer more post's, so i kept the listing sort, so as not to upset other posters, and spoil the sale's threads.
    And were did i inviting off thread dealing, i said, no posting any items, come out to me at the site, and pay for it, and take it away, and the price's i listed, were way under any price ever listed for the items, that i listed.

Regards,
    Paul.
    Sorry Steve, your right, i didn't list a price, only checked it there now, so sorry again.

Just checked it again, i did put up the price's, post 20 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75866689&postcount=20

Regards,

Paul.
    The rules apply to everyone equally - if someone else was given preferential treatment then you wouldn't be long pointing it out :)
    List your stuff with energy ratings (even if it's a general declaration the it's below 1J) and have an asking price for anything listed just like everyone else has to.
    What you posted was, in effect, 'stuff for sale, come to my place and have a look' which is equavilent to free commercial advertising - not gonna happen, sorry.

What do you do? report them - if they're taking the proverbial then we'll deal with them... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

I dunno has it been mentioned but probably has been and I know you are limited by software issues but using current software any one can already click on a user see how active they are, how many threads they have thanked etc. So using an eBay style could you not make it so that on a "for sale or trade" thread that when a guy gets thanked for being a good seller/buyer show up on that persons personal account. I know we have the feedback thread to do something similar but as a few have stated it's alot of work and searching to find a post if someone has even bothered to write one cos I've personally left a few for people I've bought off (and I've done nothing but buy off her! But havent sold anything yet!) but to the best of my knowledge no one has left me a feedback message as a good buyer.
    so what I'm saying is that if it was as simple as hitting a thank you button that already exists to give people a better rating,then people would do that more. Many people thanks posts all the time cos it's clicking a button instead of having to fill out a form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

I can see a problem on that already :) How many people get thanked for ansewring questions in a happily polite manor? even the ebay system doesnt work unless the buyer/seller has a flawless record Ive been screwd by plenty of 98 and 99% rated trader's it just wont work and I doubt it could be programed/ setup within the perameters of V-bulliten software :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

Here's the solution.....meet our new mod
    Chuck (No warnings, bans or second chances) Norris :D
    Image1_3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Aezur

Two seperate forums for wanted and selling would improve things IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dinko4gr

could we get a PC ( Price check ) thread running ? to avoid new people in airsoft getting bend over from people like this? i know its common sense to look before your buy but its not always the case. Or if thats too much hassle could we have a rule that says on a selling post we can post a link to an Irish retailer that sells the same product NEW,IN STOCK and CHEAPER than the current seller, without been considered thread spoiling ? Some people might do it on purpose,while some may just not know. Still not a reason to allow anyone to be ripped off.

No offence to to the OP of the mentioned post. He looks like he is not very familiar with the sport and pricing.

dinko4gr wrote: »
    could we get a PC ( Price check ) thread running ? to avoid new people in airsoft getting bend over from people like this? i know its common sense to look before your buy but its not always the case. Or if thats too much hassle could we have a rule that says on a selling post we can post a link to an Irish retailer that sells the same product NEW,IN STOCK and CHEAPER than the current seller, without been considered thread spoiling ? Some people might do it on purpose,while some may just not know. Still not a reason to allow anyone to be ripped off.

No offence to to the OP of the mentioned post. He looks like he is not very familiar with the sport and pricing.
    I mooted the idea of a price check thread some time ago but there was little support for it, in fact there was more opposition than support so unless the general consensus changes then no, we can't get one.

In the case you linked, it's acceptable (and not a thread spoil) to post a link to a source where you can get the exact same item, including delivery to the same place in Ireland, and is inclusive of all taxes and import duties if applicable in order to justify an offer that you are posting.

It is not acceptable to post a link to a similar but *slightly* different item or to post a link to a price on, for example, a foreign site where the cost of importing it and probably downgrading it to make it legal is not included.

If in any doubt, report the post, include the link to the item you found in the report and mods can either decide that it is not a valid comparison or it's valid and we'll post the link on the thread as a general unbiased 'beware' for all to see - that way nobody can be accused of threadspoiling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

I wonder if anything can be done to stop the resent glut of so called “WANTED” ads
    Most of these are being used as a means of getting around the duplicate post rule

For example a posted has FOR SALE a bunch of old tat some batteries a few mags a broken red dot etc and after many attempts and numerous BUMPS then placed a WANTED ad for maybe a MP5 but only offering the bunch of tat or AEG that nobody wants as they have no cash
    A few days later they want a SMG and then a G3 a few day later a M4 and on it goes and all that is on offer is the same load of old tat or knackered AK or sniper rifle etc
    The same thing is being done for a long running ad when trying to sell an AEG, Pistol, Rifle etc and often they run their WANTED ad in parallel to the original FOR SALE/TRADE ad often bumping one after the other you can see this almost every day
    I had such a poster the other day looking for an M4 and after I and a few more took the time to respond he works his way down the list replying to each in turn
    In response to the post above mine he says that has no money and then when responding to me asks how much do I want for mine, I have to tell you I was not amused

Then there are the posters who place wanted ads and yet have no money and on occasions have got a seller to reduce the asking price before announcing that they do not have the CASH
    Only the other day a guy places a “WANTED” ad for a M9 mag and gets a reply and after a bit of haggling get the price reduced from €30 down to €25 for the mag posted, now here is the good bit he then announces that he does not have the cash
    Now I know that there is a recession on and a lot of people are a bit short of cash but for god sake if you don’t have the funds then for pity sake don’t post

Yes I know that this sounds like a RANT and it is but can nothing be done to curb the enthusiasm of these posters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

DeBurca wrote: »
    I wonder if anything can be done to stop the resent glut of so called “WANTED” ads
    Most of these are being used as a means of getting around the duplicate post rule

For example a posted has FOR SALE a bunch of old tat some batteries a few mags a broken red dot etc and after many attempts and numerous BUMPS then placed a WANTED ad for maybe a MP5 but only offering the bunch of tat or AEG that nobody wants as they have no cash
    A few days later they want a SMG and then a G3 a few day later a M4 and on it goes and all that is on offer is the same load of old tat or knackered AK or sniper rifle etc
    The same thing is being done for a long running ad when trying to sell an AEG, Pistol, Rifle etc and often they run their WANTED ad in parallel to the original FOR SALE/TRADE ad often bumping one after the other you can see this almost every day
    I had such a poster the other day looking for an M4 and after I and a few more took the time to respond he works his way down the list replying to each in turn
    In response to the post above mine he says that has no money and then when responding to me asks how much do I want for mine, I have to tell you I was not amused

Then there are the posters who place wanted ads and yet have no money and on occasions have got a seller to reduce the asking price before announcing that they do not have the CASH
    Only the other day a guy places a “WANTED” ad for a M9 mag and gets a reply and after a bit of haggling get the price reduced from €30 down to €25 for the mag posted, now here is the good bit he then announces that he does not have the cash
    Now I know that there is a recession on and a lot of people are a bit short of cash but for god sake if you don’t have the funds then for pity sake don’t post

Yes I know that this sounds like a RANT and it is but can nothing be done to curb the enthusiasm of these posters
    What he said (just too lazy to type it all):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

folks I'd like to request that people selling things will list if they are willing to Post Items (or not) and are willing to take payment options like paypal as part of the information when they are posting.

I can understand if someone are not willing to post or cannot accept paypal
    but please fer feck's sake let a potential buyer know on your for sale thread
    up front. for the seller it only means writing an extra line of text in yer posts!!!

I'm sick and tired of seeing fantastic bargains on adverts only to
    see absolutely no information if the seller is willing to send the item via post and are willing to accept paypal/postal order etc.

I've often been in the situation where I've wanted something, have been more than willing to offer the asking price without any haggleing and also willing to pay for all postage and any additional paypal fees.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dekop

I know stopping spam is a good idea, but having to post 50 messages just to gain access to the footy forum is a bit much, as well as having to wait a month, big turn off, :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

dekop wrote: »
    I know stopping spam is a good idea, but having to post 50 messages just to gain access to the footy forum is a bit much, as well as having to wait a month, big turn off, :mad:
    this is not the football forum :D

ps is this one of your 50 posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I agree totally with THE MINDER its so annoying when they get you to drop the price and then you dont hear from them. The mods do a great job but their hands are tied on somethings like i know of at least 10 people that have changed their names on this but it cant be proven within boards.ie rules so the Mods can do nothing Its time either a name and shame thread was set up or a lock put on the adverts section to stop the renaming and time wasters after a week of a thread im taking them down unsold because im sick of time wasters. Im starting to rant like Deburca :D so ill leave it at that

Advertisement