Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac address port forwarding problem

• 17-09-2015 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi
    I am trying to port forward a number of ports to a device in my household but instead of my broadband recognizing the devices mac address, instead it is taking the mac address from the router that it is connected to and taking the ip from the device. I am with eircom and the modem is the f2000. I am using a router which has ddwrt installed on it. I hope someone can help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

scomp1 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am trying to port forward a number of ports to a device in my household but instead of my broadband recognizing the devices mac address, instead it is taking the mac address from the router that it is connected to and taking the ip from the device. I am with eircom and the modem is the f2000. I am using a router which has ddwrt installed on it. I hope someone can help me.

Mac addresses will not pass a router. Mac address is layer 2, IP is layer 3, you should port forward by IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scomp1

Mac addresses will not pass a router. Mac address is layer 2, IP is layer 3, you should port forward by IP address.

Is there any way to change the f2000 modem from port forwarding through mac addresses to ips or is there any other way around during this

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

scomp1 wrote: »
    Is there any way to change the f2000 modem from port forwarding through mac addresses to ips or is there any other way around during this

Its not fwding MAC. It cant. Its mapping a fwd to a device by its mac, so that if the IP of the "server" on your network changes, the forward doesnt break. It saves you setting up static IPs/DHCP reservations.

Advertisement