Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Router for streaming tv & games

Options
  • 10-08-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭

Hey so im wondering if anyone can help with advising on a new router for streaming TV via a chrome cast and come november steam games from my PC via the steam link (http://store.steampowered.com/universe/link)

Atm we are with eircom efibre and regularly have issues with streaming using the chrome cast where the stream glitches out a so the sound continues playing but the stream stalls and lags behind. Im pretty certain its due to the network so would love to know if theres any options for switching to a better modem with efibre or am i locked into using eircoms piece of junk? Also for when I get my steam link id hope to be able to play games via it on the TV without causing issues for anyone else in the house whos using the wifi so that their connection doesn't affect mine and vice versa.

All advice and help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

VinLieger wrote: »
    Hey so im wondering if anyone can help with advising on a new router for streaming TV via a chrome cast and come november steam games from my PC via the steam link (http://store.steampowered.com/universe/link)

Atm we are with eircom efibre and regularly have issues with streaming using the chrome cast where the stream glitches out a so the sound continues playing but the stream stalls and lags behind. Im pretty certain its due to the network so would love to know if theres any options for switching to a better modem with efibre or am i locked into using eircoms piece of junk? Also for when I get my steam link id hope to be able to play games via it on the TV without causing issues for anyone else in the house whos using the wifi so that their connection doesn't affect mine and vice versa.

All advice and help appreciated

Chromecast only supports 2.4ghz, the latest wireless protocols have moved to 5ghz. Ask Eircom for one of the new dual band F2000 modems and get a 5ghz adapter for your pc so they're on different radios, your Chromecast will use 2.4ghz and the new adapter use 5ghz. You can also get an Ethernet Chromecast adapter, available only on the USA Google store, you might find one on EBay.

Is it possible to run a cable to your pc? We are at a stage where we need Ethernet to our devices to leave wireless for mobility

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thanks! No theres no way to wire in unfortunately due to router placement in the house. Ill definitely ask eircom for that dual router as well. If the game streaming ends up making things difficult ill just setup a second network for it

Advertisement