Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MovieExtras.ie

• 06-10-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Has anyone ever sgined up to the site or know anyone that has done? IT's the kinda thing I'm interested and I'm not working so I feel it's a good time for me to do something like this.

It's a good bit of money for someone like me in terms of registering but it could be worth it?

If you've done this before, please share your experience, is it worthwhile?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Chess.

These posts are quite old so if there's anyone out there who has experience lets say in the past year please give us an insight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I signed up with them a little over a month ago. I got an evening out of them last week for one of the movies they are casting which consisted of hours waiting around with a few minutes walking around the street in the background. It was an interesting experience and I currently have time to do this sort of thing and the fee for that bit of work will cover the joining fee. They apparently are quite short of extras as they are casting several large productions at the moment. If you are on Facebook check their page out there they post updates on a very regular basis and seem to be prompt answering people queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Chess.

gandalf wrote: »
    I signed up with them a little over a month ago. I got an evening out of them last week for one of the movies they are casting which consisted of hours waiting around with a few minutes walking around the street in the background. It was an interesting experience and I currently have time to do this sort of thing and the fee for that bit of work will cover the joining fee. They apparently are quite short of extras as they are casting several large productions at the moment. If you are on Facebook check their page out there they post updates on a very regular basis and seem to be prompt answering people queries.

That's good to hear! Do they give you much notice for a shoot?

I'm mainly worried about spending the money and not getting any calls. I'm quite tight on money at the moment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭sleepyman

I became a member last year for 6 months as I was unemployed at the time.
    I got called a number of times for Fair City out in RTE & other films/adverts I had to turn down.You'll make your membership fee back for sure.The crew/extras are all very sound-it's something different.They generally give quite short notice, might text you the day before something shoots.
    You need to text back yes or no depending on your availability.
    I think the times for Fair City are generally 8am or 10am.There'll be alot of waiting around in the green room or canteen but you'll get a few scenes generally.
    Also they lay out strict guidelines on the website about being blacklisted when you don't turn up for a shoot.
    They don't promise you a fortune but if you're stuck for cash & would like to do something different it's worth it.
    The only downside is it takes three weeks to get paid for Fair City & three-four months for an ad.Ads pay better generally than a day stint in Fair City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You get contacted the day before. I turned down two availability checks before accepting the third one. There were 11 of us for the evening shoot and all the others had done it before to some degree or other. It was very interesting chatting to them and finding out what they had worked on. You will not make a lot of money out of it and what was clear is that you are the bottom of the food chain on the set. When its time for food you are the last to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

Is all the work in Dublin or is there stuff available in other parts of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I was with them last year and never heard from them once except for the regular email updates on how great they are. I have done Fair City and the Clinic with another company (I gather they lost the contract) which is why I signed up with ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭stevephoto

Theres another company Extras Ireland, who are new and don't charge any fees. Here's the link http://www.extrasireland.com

Advertisement