Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donegal town

Options
  • 23-02-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A small group of us are planning on heading to Donegal town for the weekend and have left it pretty late for accommodation, there is a lot of choice of B&Bs online and places to stay, could anyone recommend somewhere good to stay near the centre of town?
    This place on donedeal also looks interesting but I'm not sure how far outside town it is, http://www.donedeal.ie/holidayrent-for-sale/3-bed-holiday-home-for-let-donegal-town/8741567

Also if anyone could recommend good pubs etc it would be much appreciated too, as it's out first trip to Donegal and don't know the area at all.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That's in Drumrooske, a small bit out of town. In walking distance for sure, though 5 minutes is a tad optomistic! Be handy enough via Taxi (particularly after a night out) and would probably cost around a fiver.

Otherwise, maybe lodgings within the town centre. Atlantic B&B and Diamond Lodgings come to mind. Or Central Hotel and Abbey Hotel in town centre also.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Thanks byte!
    I had a feeling around 5 minutes being optimistic, we had a look at the lodgings alright but wasn't sure what they would be like exactly.

What's donegal town like on a Friday/Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

always worth giving the abbey and central a ring. they do some good deals this time of year (assuming they havent got a country weekend)
    you can pub crawl from the abbey without walking too far!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Thanks byte!
    I had a feeling around 5 minutes being optimistic, we had a look at the lodgings alright but wasn't sure what they would be like exactly.

What's donegal town like on a Friday/Saturday night?
    Friday and Saturday nights would usually be the busiest, particularly Saturday night.

There are plenty of bars, depending on what you're after. The Abbey Hotel itself has a main bar that usually has a band in the back bar (and maybe a country act in the front bar earlier), a dance bar upstairs and a nightclub in the basement.

Sometimes also a live act in The Bank Bar a few doors away from Abbey. The Forge and The Reveller on the other side can be good enought too, I particularly like the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Larrson

Hi all,

A small group of us are planning on heading to Donegal town for the weekend and have left it pretty late for accommodation, there is a lot of choice of B&Bs online and places to stay, could anyone recommend somewhere good to stay near the centre of town?
    This place on donedeal also looks interesting but I'm not sure how far outside town it is, http://www.donedeal.ie/holidayrent-for-sale/3-bed-holiday-home-for-let-donegal-town/8741567

Also if anyone could recommend good pubs etc it would be much appreciated too, as it's out first trip to Donegal and don't know the area at all.

Just wondering how you got on, too late now I suppose but my friend has a 3 bedroom house to rent short lets right in the centre of Donegal town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement