Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin City Marathon - am I chasing a lost cause?

Options
  • 11-08-2014 3:36pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    After completing the Dublin City Marathon in 2013, this was to be the year of heavy training and smashing goals. However, the combination of niggling injuries in my left leg and personal issues means I am behind in my training by a good bit. What I am hoping to garner from my fellow boarsies is whether I should give up the ghost this year and focus on a marathon next year instead.

I only really started back running in March after the storms and I trained for, and completed the Limerick Half Marathon in May. However, an old soccer injury flared up soon after (left adductor muscle) which has hampered me since then. Racewise since Limerick, Iv've completed a 5k (PB), two 5 miles (one PB), a 6k (PB) and I trained up to the HM distance for the Run Killarney half in late July. However, the night before, I was feeling very ill and I did not run the race.

I hadn't run in almost 3 weeks sincethen but I cleared 11 miles yesterday without any problems (albeit not a great time and it was a bit stop/start).

However, I am well behind in the Hal Higdon Novice 2 training program (its currently week 8).

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

I'm supposed to be running 4/7/4/15 this week and, while I reckon I would push out at 15 miler next week witha bit of effort, I'm nowhere near the midweek distances - 4/0/4/11 was last week.

Should I just gradually increase my distances so that, in 3 weeks I am back to what is asked for in the program or am I pushing things too hard too fast?

My leg feels strong and there is no sign of a problem.

Any advice is appreciated and I can provide more details if needed. Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

FutureGuy will not be running Dublin marathon.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Don't try to catch up on missed training, it's a good way to get an injury. Work out what a 'regular' week's training would be for where you are now - not what you could do if you pushed it, but what you could do fairly handily. Plot a plan from that week to the start of taper, with small increases along the way and a step-back week once a month.
    Say you add two miles to your long run each week and two miles spread over your midweek runs each week. Include your stepback weeks and any races you're committed to. Are you happy with the mileage you'll max out at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    After completing the Dublin City Marathon in 2013, this was to be the year of heavy training and smashing goals. However, the combination of niggling injuries in my left leg and personal issues means I am behind in my training by a good bit. What I am hoping to garner from my fellow boarsies is whether I should give up the ghost this year and focus on a marathon next year instead.

I only really started back running in March after the storms and I trained for, and completed the Limerick Half Marathon in May. However, an old soccer injury flared up soon after (left adductor muscle) which has hampered me since then. Racewise since Limerick, Iv've completed a 5k (PB), two 5 miles (one PB), a 6k (PB) and I trained up to the HM distance for the Run Killarney half in late July. However, the night before, I was feeling very ill and I did not run the race.

I hadn't run in almost 3 weeks sincethen but I cleared 11 miles yesterday without any problems (albeit not a great time and it was a bit stop/start).

However, I am well behind in the Hal Higdon Novice 2 training program (its currently week 8).

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

I'm supposed to be running 4/7/4/15 this week and, while I reckon I would push out at 15 miler next week witha bit of effort, I'm nowhere near the midweek distances - 4/0/4/11 was last week.

Should I just gradually increase my distances so that, in 3 weeks I am back to what is asked for in the program or am I pushing things too hard too fast?

My leg feels strong and there is no sign of a problem.

Any advice is appreciated and I can provide more details if needed. Thanks all!

Guess it depends on your goal, you can probably get around but maybe not enjoy it.

I am in a similar position, havnt done enough training so didn't even start a plan and am building a base for Belfast 2015.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Thanks for the advice.

RayCun wrote: »
    FutureGuy will not be running Dublin marathon.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Don't try to catch up on missed training, it's a good way to get an injury. Work out what a 'regular' week's training would be for where you are now - not what you could do if you pushed it, but what you could do fairly handily. Plot a plan from that week to the start of taper, with small increases along the way and a step-back week once a month.
    Say you add two miles to your long run each week and two miles spread over your midweek runs each week. Include your stepback weeks and any races you're committed to. Are you happy with the mileage you'll max out at?

That sounds very reasonable indeed. I should have my longest run 3 weeks before the marathon (around 20 miles) right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why not have it both ways. Draw up a reasonable plan that meets your targets and just go for it, but, with the caveat that you are prepared to let it go if you feel your body is starting to struggle or get close to injury?

If you find that you are struggling to meet your goal pace and have to quit then what have you lost? Nothing but a few weeks of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I should have my longest run 3 weeks before the marathon (around 20 miles) right?

yes, that's right. then about 14 two weeks out, about 8 the week before

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Did 3 yesterday, and will do 4 tomorrow, 3 Friday and 14 Sunday.

Legs feel ok and no sign of niggles :-)

Thanks all!

Advertisement