Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research for a project - help needed

• 08-04-2014 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm doing a project on Limerick for college .

I need to find out some famous locals and where they were/are from. I've trawled the internet but I can't find specific areas that they hail from in the city. For example everywhere I look just tells me Richard Harris was from Limerick but I can't for the life of me find out where in Limerick.
    If someone could point me in a good direction that would be great.

So, to start with, what part of Limerick is Richard Harris from?
    Are there any other (younger) actors of note I should look at and where are they from?

Where was Frank McCourt from in the city? Are there any other writers of note I should look at?

Are there any rappers of note I should look at and where do they hail from? I've heard there are some in Balla...

Are there any dancers (ballet, Irish dancing, breakdancing...) of note from the city?

Are there any poets of note from the city that I should look at?

Are there any painters of note I should look into?

All positive feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Richard Harris is from the Ennis Road as is Terry Wogan. Michael D. also has links in the area.
    Frank McCourt was born in America and moved to one of the lanes up around the People's Park but they've since all been knocked.

John Shinnors is a well known Limerick painter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭inkforblood

Thanks for the information Poxy, I appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Bill Whelan, (born 22 May 1950 in Limerick, Ireland) is an Irish composer and musician
    Riverdance composer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'm open to correction but I think Frank Mc Courts first home in Limerick was in Windmill Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭phog

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Bill Whelan, (born 22 May 1950 in Limerick, Ireland) is an Irish composer and musician
    Riverdance composer

Bill is from William St, near where Ryan's locksmiths are.

Also, it might be no harm reading Angela's Ashes for a bit of background to Frank McCourt

Kate O'Brien
    is from Limerick and is in someway attached to the red brick house on Mulgrave St opp St Joseph's Hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

kevin barry author born in the 60's in limerick / dolores o'riordan from the cranberries / jp mc manus and as the famous song goes sean south of Garryowen and loads of political people and sports people .

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Here are a few to get you started It can be difficult to get definite bithplaces for famous Limerick people because place names change or are demolished

Sylvester O'Halloran (1728 – 1807) was a pioneering Irish surgeon born in Caherdavin
    Edward Daly (1891 – 1916) commandant of Dublin's 1st battalion during the Easter Rising born at 26 Frederick Street (now O'Curry street)
    Kathleen Clarke nee Daly (1878 –1972) 26 Frederick Street wife of Thomas Clarke sister of Edward Daly elected to the Dáil and served as Mayor of Dublin
    Nora Daly (?-?) 26 Frederick Street Despatch-carrier for Pearse
    Michael Colivet (1882 – 1955) Commander of the Irish Volunteers in Limerick during the Easter Rising born at 11 Windmill street in Limerick city
    Seán South (1928–1957) was from O'Connell avenue in Limerick
    Steve Finnan (April 1976) Janesboro area of Limerick
    Catherine Hayes -(1818-1861) Opera Singer No. 4 Patrick Street
    Douglas Alexander (1871-1945) painter Bell-vue, North Circular Road, Limerick
    Kate O'Brien (1897-1974) writer Boru House on Mulgrave Street

Thanks very much to you all, I have a lot to start researching here. It's greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Richard D Grant (Aphex Twin) was born in Limerick city on 18th August 1971.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Richard D Grant (Aphex Twin) was born in Limerick city on 18th August 1971.

I believe it's Richard D James but thanks all the same Kess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Going back a bit, there's P W Joyce, historian/writer and his brother R D Joyce songwriter/poet. You don't hear much about them these days. You should be able to find all the info re dates online. Good luck with the project!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

You should check in with the researchers at limerickslife.com - lot of interesting info on local history.

Advertisement