Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IDF or the RIR?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

You should probably read it again. Particularly the key point.

The posters claims are not accurate, the republic for years has had 7 advisors/monitors in Afghanistan without having 8 % of its forces posted overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

The posters claims are not accurate, the republic for years has had 7 advisors/monitors in Afghanistan without having 8 % of its forces posted overseas.

i know my mother told me never to get into an argument with an idiot because they would bring it down to their level and then beat me with experience, but i have to ask:

you do know that Afghanistin isn't the only 'overseas' place in the world, don't you?

OS119 wrote: »
    i know my mother told me never to get into an argument with an idiot because they would bring it down to their level and then beat me with experience, but i have to ask:

you do know that Afghanistin isn't the only 'overseas' place in the world, don't you?

Ok genius please enlighten me ?

Where has the republic had 8% of its forces continually posted in the last 10/15 years ?

Answer.......nowhere.

I await the poster who made the claim to provide a link.

Ok genius please enlighten me ?

Where has the republic had 8% of its forces continually posted in the last 10/15 years ?

Answer.......nowhere.

I await the poster who made the claim to provide a link.

the Irish DF has had a presence in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Chad, Liberia and Kosovo in the last eight years.

i don't know the numbers involved in each deployment and i don't know if it went to/passed 8% - and i really, really don't care - but it is absolutely incontrovertable that Afghanistan is not the only overseas place in the world, however much you seem to think that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Good god crusader777 your'e completely p***ing into the wind here.

Do some academic reading. Its good for the brain, in that you will actually know what your'e talking about before you come online and try to bash an organization that you clearly haven't a clue about.

I've attached something worth while reading.

And here are your links

http://www.military.ie/overseas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_army#Peacekeeping_Missions

I'd like to remind readers here that crusader777 has made the claims that;

Most of the Irish Army have not been oversea's.

The Irish Army do not have significant peace enforcement experience.

If you join the army you will spend your time doing cash-in-transit security.

For people who are considering joining an army, in patricular the Irish Army, do not listen to this guy. He must have some gripe about the PDF because he continuously posts things about it, that are by definition, lies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

the Irish DF has had a presence in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Chad, Liberia and Kosovo in the last eight years.

i don't know the numbers involved in each deployment and i don't know if it went to/passed 8% - and i really, really don't care - but it is absolutely incontrovertable that Afghanistan is not the only overseas place in the world, however much you seem to think that it is.

I never said the Irish army were not overseas, the posters claim is they have consistantly had 8% overseas, which is not true.

The poster is making up lies and claiming I said it.

Good god crusader777 your'e completely p***ing into the wind here.

Do some academic reading. Its good for the brain, in that you will actually know what your'e talking about before you come online and try to bash an organization that you clearly haven't a clue about.

I've attached something worth while reading.

And here are your links

http://www.military.ie/overseas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_army#Peacekeeping_Missions

I'd like to remind readers here that crusader777 has made the claims that;

Most of the Irish Army have not been oversea's.

The Irish Army do not have significant peace enforcement experience.

If you join the army you will spend your time doing cash-in-transit security.

For people who are considering joining an army, in patricular the Irish Army, do not listen to this guy. He must have some gripe about the PDF because he continuously posts things about it, that are by definition, lies.

Ok lets have it your way....The Irish army consistanly deploy 8% overseas......Can you post proof ?

"The Irish army train just the same as British infantry", perhaps you could tell the last time the PDF trained in Kenya or Belize or in a bde size operation , which the Brits do before deployment to Afghanistan ?

Still waiting for the link and for you to tell me where the Irish army jungle warfare school is ? Or where your mythical 8% made up figure has come from? Link ?

.....I never saidThe Irish Army do not have significant peace enforcement experience......please stop posting lies.

I questioned your claim they continually post 8% overseas.....which is your claim, as well as your the previous bs claim that the PDF have more peace keeping experience then the British army..

And no most in the Irish army have not been deployed overseas, thats a fact.

You are making claim after bs claim and dont like it when you are pulled up.

Ok lets have it your way....The Irish army consistanly deploy 8% overseas.

The Irish army train just the same as British infantry and have the same facilities.

Still waiting for the link and for you to tell me where the Irish army jungle warfare school is ?

.....I have never said the Irish army have never been overseas.....please stop posting LIES.

I questioned your claim they continually post 8% overseas.....which is your claim.

Are you smoking weed while typing?

There is no my way or your way, there is only true, and un-true.

I did not say the Irish Army have the same facilites as the BA, and I did not say their infantry corps's train the same. I said they are similar. Obviously not the exact same.

I did not say that you said the Irish Army have never been overseas. I said that you said, 'most of the Irish Army have not been overseas', which is what you said.

If you lose an argument you can't just go making things up about what the person opposing you said. Your'e putting words in my mouth now.

Whats your problem? Pretty much every stupid claim that you have made about the IA has been proven un-true. Why in the name of God are you still posting here, trying to sustain your flawed argument, with blatant lies, and mis-quotes? You can't change your argument now and make it look like you did or didn't say whichever. You do know that your previous posts are visible to everyone here and we CAN see the absolute untrue madness you've posted about the IA yeah?

Quit this d**k measuring one army is better than the other bull***t. They both have different defined roles. They're both s**t hot at those roles, and they are both of a very, very good standard, and both have a LOT of operational experience in their area's.

Now stop carrying on this stupid argument. Your'e tripping yourself up and making an a*s of yourself.

Are you smoking weed while typing?

There is no my way or your way, there is only true, and un-true.

I did not say the Irish Army have the same facilites as the BA, and I did not say their infantry corps's train the same. I said they are similar. Obviously not the exact same.

I did not say that you said the Irish Army have never been overseas. I said that you said, 'most of the Irish Army have not been overseas', which is what you said.

If you lose an argument you can't just go making things up about what the person opposing you said. Your'e putting words in my mouth now.

Whats your problem? Pretty much every stupid claim that you have made about the IA has been proven un-true. Why in the name of God are you still posting here, trying to sustain your flawed argument, with blatant lies, and mis-quotes? You can't change your argument now and make it look like you did or didn't say whichever. You do know that your previous posts are visible to everyone here and we CAN see the absolute untrue madness you've posted about the IA yeah?

Quit this d**k measuring one army is better than the other bull***t. They both have different defined roles. They're both s**t hot at those roles, and they are both of a very, very good standard, and both have a LOT of operational experience in their area's.

Now stop carrying on this stupid argument. Your'e tripping yourself up and making an a*s of yourself.

Once again, please post evidence to back up your claim that the PDF continually post 8% overseas ?

Most of the Irish army have not been overseas, its a fact, in the last few years they have only deployed in small numbers, fact.

1 battalion was deployed in Liberia for 3 yrs.
    1 battalion, around 500 was deployed to Chad for 2 years.

As well as small numbers in other places.

.....Do the maths.

• Advertisement

Once again, please post evidence to back up your claim that the PDF continually post 8% overseas ?

Most of the Irish army have not been overseas, its a fact, in the last few years they have only deployed in small numbers, fact.

1 battalion was deployed in Liberia

.....Do the maths.

Yeah read the attachment to my post Einstein. I've already given you the evidence. You seam incapable of doing research before making your arguments. I better quote it for you. "As of 2007, only two member states (the UK and Ireland) had met the
    NATO target of being able to sustain 8% of their ground forces on operations"

You do know they ROTATE battalions don't you. That one battalion of 500 guys didn't just stay in Chad for that whole 2 years.

You do the maths, and in the mean time try find out how an army works. The vast majority of the Irish army have been oversea's.

This is actually bordering on hilarious now. You don't know what your'e at.

feeney92 wrote: »
    Thats Complete BS

Since 1994 Every Soldier Has To Tour Once in every 3 years
    Quote from Military.ie "Today There Are Approximatly 500 Personnel Overseas"
    Assuming These are in 6 months rotations it changes thats 1000 a year and the simple fact we have cut down big time in tours in the last 2 years I think its safe to say a lot more have served than you seem to think, even taking into account people who have done multiple tours.

I beginning to think we should give up on our crusading friend Feeney.

We've given him the evidence and the info. He claims to know about the military, and actually called ME and "eejet" in another thread, but yet he still hasn't figured out that deployed battalions rotate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

1 battalion was deployed in Liberia for 3 yrs.

.....Do the maths.

Out of curiosity what is your military experience? You seem to talk an awful lot of **** for someone who has served regardless of what force it was in. I'll make the assumption on the sheer ignorance of your theory that a battalion was stationed for 3 years without rotation you've never served and are nothing more than a civilian with failed aspirations.

RMD wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what is your military experience?

22 years at Rampton, man and boy.

Rampton was/is a 'secure hospitial' for the err... 'infirm of mind' where those afflicted could bounce from wall to wall to their hearts content...

doubtless we are to be regaled by a host of links to wiki and other dodgy websites written by inaddaquates with a unhealthy sexual fixation on either the Parachute Regiment or 22SAS. gentleman, the ignore button!

Out of curiosity what is your military experience? You seem to talk an awful lot of **** for someone who has served regardless of what force it was in. I'll make the assumption on the sheer ignorance of your theory that a battalion was stationed for 3 years without rotation you've never served and are nothing more than a civilian with failed aspirations.

I'm a civillian and I even showed him to be full of crap! I never notice that he said he served in the military.
    What did he claim he used to be or is?

Maybe we're being a bit harsh, he could be just some young lad who hasen't a clue what he's on about, who wants to join the forces some day.

Still though, his DF bashing isn't OK no matter what age/intelligence level he has or is. If your'e a wannabe you don't get to put down the Army on threads where people are looking for decent info. He posted like he actually knew what he was on about. That kind of crap can be very damaging to an army's reputation because people will read his spouts and actually believe it. Its also very insulting to actual soldiers.

...Maybe we're being a bit harsh, he could be just some young lad who hasen't a clue what he's on about, who wants to join the forces some day...

personally i doubt it it - i have a horrible, nasty feeling that he's associated with the BA though probably not serving (Army Cadet perhaps?) and that he's got a 'thing' about the IA for some reason.

i know the Mods have said that he's not, but his posting style bears a striking resemblance to Pathfinder and several other throbbers (all with fairly aggressive usernames) who frequent Irish websites posting random PARA and 22SAS video's, articles and whatnot, and who decend into slagging off the IA. even the way he writes is the same...

This thread is getting more and more stupid.

I never said battalions were not rotated.

2 battalion rotations (440) over 1 yr x 10 years, would mean 4,400 had been overseas out of 8,500 take away those who return for another tour or those replaced by natural wastage....proves my point.

Do the maths genuis.

Military experience, alot more then yours, just no need to brag.

I'm a civillian and I even showed him to be full of crap! I never notice that he said he served in the military.

Maybe we're being a bit harsh, he could be just some young lad who hasen't a clue what he's on about, who wants to join the forces some day.

Still though, his DF bashing isn't OK no matter what age/intelligence level he has or is. If your'e a wannabe you don't get to put down the Army on threads where people are looking for decent info. He posted like he actually knew what he was on about. That kind of crap can be very damaging to an army's reputation because people will read his spouts and actually believe it. Its also very insulting to actual soldiers.

Still waiting for the link thats says those signed up for peace for change have to deploy 8% every year (your claim) ???????????

Where did I bash the defence forces(exact post ?)you are posting la, la land crap, I simply pulled you up.

I actually said the defence forces were very professional, please stop making up lies.

• Advertisement

...2 battalion rotations (440) over 1 yr x 10 years, would mean 4,400 had been overseas out of 8,500...

err.. tours are 6 months in length, so to man a 440 strength deployment 880 would have deployed in 1 year.

meaning 8,800 in 10 ten years.

mong.

err.. tours are 6 months in length, so to man a 440 strength deployment 880 would have deployed in 1 year.

meaning 8,800 in 10 ten years.

mong.

Ok, I got the maths wrong.

The other poster has been wrong on nearly every claim.

Over 10 years its realitic to say many had been on more then one tour so my point stands.

It can only be proven either way only with official figures.

Is it true that service overseas is voluntary with the battalion cobbled together with volunteers ?

Mong ? Like you would say it to my face.

Mong ? Like you would say it to my face.

i've said it to bigger and scarier people than you fella. that bloke off Cbeebies for a start.

i'm not sure there's anyone left who's on a voluntary contract - though certainly thats how it used to be done - the new (quite old now) contract requires overseas service for promotion, as well as re-engagement.

He's still going. God love him! crusader777 I gave you the link. And I quoted it to you. READ IT!

The things iv'e said are not lies! haha. People can read this whole thread you know. Your general argument is totally skewed, and changes over time depending on which of your points is proven as bull crap! Just give up, no-body is believing you. And to be honest I dont blame them. I've posted links to support everything I've said, at your request. Yet you still think I'm not telling the truth! You are most definitely not a real soldier. Either that or you somehow managed to skip through the selection process part that determines your aptitude.

I don't know. Maybe you are a real soldier. But I'm beginning to think the poster before could be on to something. Your'e probably a wannabe, with hard set opinions, and for reason, when the information is presented to you that proves your'e completely wrong, you won't let yourself admit that your'e wrong, so you just keep going, and tell people to do the maths, when you can't even do that right.

I'm begging you,.. go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Achilles1599

well thanks for the information lads think i swung round to the defence forces side and no am not some british troll.

well thanks for the information lads think i swung round to the defence forces side and no am not some british troll.

No bother lad. Best of luck in trying. Keep in mind though, its really hard to get into at the moment, so expect to have to try a few times. Don't give up! Go to military.ie Find out what they look for in interview, prepare..and keep up the fitness training. Entrance test is easy but you'd be surprised how many people fail. Its a mile and a half run in about 11 and a half minutes, 20 pressups in a minute, and 20 situps in a minute. All that kind of info is on military.ie

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

No bother lad. Best of luck in trying. Keep in mind though, its really hard to get into at the moment, so expect to have to try a few times. Don't give up! Go to military.ie Find out what they look for in interview, prepare..and keep up the fitness training. Entrance test is easy but you'd be surprised how many people fail. Its a mile and a half run in about 11 and a half minutes, 20 pressups in a minute, and 20 situps in a minute. All that kind of info is on military.ie

Best of luck!

If you want to contend for a rare spot the easiest start is by having a very high level of fitness. Don't aim just to beat the minimum, do the training and try to crush those numbers.
    Do the maths genuis.

Military experience, alot more then yours, just no need to brag.

First of all, if you want to band around condescending words like "genius" I suggest you get the basic maths right yourself.

On a further note could you actually answer my question? A person with military experience and who seems to be such a beacon of knowledge on the PDF would surely not make such a simple mistake.

You're a Walt, it's that obvious.

Feeney's right RMD. Its just pass or fail now. But still, its best to work on fitness REGARDLESS of whether you need to or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement