Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you from Blanchardstown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mysons

LadyW wrote: »
    I think that record shop was called Sounds Cool, used to looove going there!

Thanks for that could not remember the name.
    We seen the girl that owened it a while ago out at the Fairyhouse market.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Oh yes, Blanch was in Co. Dublin back then... Anyone know what year it became D15??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Willies pet shop anybody? Beside the old credit union in clonsilla opposite peregrins

Is it still there?

The garda station was the building beside Ryans garage.
    The Greyhound was open and is now closed oh and had a Disco bar in the 80s and a Disco ball as well.
    The only thing up at the Town centre was the eircom building.
    The Vineyard became the Blanchardstown House and then became the Vineyard again.
    The chemist across the road from the Vineyard was Doyle's shop it had a Thatched roof.
    There was no Waterville as all the land belong to the Hospital,Where there is a park now in Waterville there was a Hospital unit and that was only about Ten years ago.

Oh yes, Blanch was in Co. Dublin back then... Anyone know what year it became D15??

When did that happen ?

• Advertisement

There was no 8 at the start of the phone numbers only 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Parts are still Co Dublin, the Hartstown house and the Shops are Co Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

Born in good old NJ, USA. Moved here about 4 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Born and reared in Blanchardstown, my dad (mid sixties) was also born in Blanchardstown, (near the shanty) as was his mother. That's as far back as we know for sure, but my dad thinks one of his Grandparents (cant remember which one) was also from Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Nolimits

thomasj wrote: »
    Willies pet shop anybody? Beside the old credit union in clonsilla opposite peregrins

Is it still there?
    I think it is, I know the woman who lives in that house, I remember their dog always scaring me when I went in for bird seed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

24 years, so I guess i'm a blow in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

god i love hearing all these storys about blanch :) :P

im only young aswel and i can remember champion sports being in the roselawn shopping centre , aswell as the video store beside the newsagents and when tesco was quinsworth ,also tuthills toy shop

then the fun factory that was above the old extra vision beside abrekehbabrah,
    when the guarda station was beside ryans garage
    and where the new guarda station is now , thats where the old fun fair use to go !!
    cant remember what the name of the shop was were near buy is now, on the closilla road opposite the credit union ,

also remember the shop that was a cottage with a straw roof ,accros the way from sams barbers , i use to get my premier league stickers in there :P
    also the when the blanchardstown house was there but now the vinyard

up at the corduff shops , there was a snooker hall with a supermarket below it but i dont know what that is now
    the snugburough road/light nightclub (shoit hole) :P/ westend village /west end retail park, and spar and that was just one big plot of land wit a random hourse , same with where the centre was , jus the old eircom building !!

god i have a gd memory haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Ah i remember that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I can't say I remember! Where was it!

It was a summer protect held around Blanchardstown for kids in the mid 80's

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Parts are still Co Dublin, the Hartstown house and the Shops are Co Dublin.

I don't think so Thaedydal, I live near the Hartstown House and my address is Dublin 15

Parts of Hartstown is in D15 parts of it are Co Dublin.

I remember living in blakestown, half of the post I got was dublin15 the other half was co Dublin it still happens!

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Parts of Hartstown is in D15 parts of it are Co Dublin.

That's a bit bizarre, isn't it? :eek:

I didn't think there was a county Dublin anymore. In fact if you look at google maps you'll see clonee is on the Meath-fingal border

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I consider myself from Blanch as I've been here for 22 years or so but I was born in Tallaght and then spent a few years floating between Coolock and Inchicore before we got settled in Hartstown, Clonsilla.

After moving out on my own I moved to Ongar and a year ago moved once more to Waterville. I remember the Fun Factory above Xtra-Vision in Blanch village, I remember when Hartstown Community School was a building site and the craic I had on it with my mates. I remember when the Blanch Centre was just a huge site too. I also rememebr the thatch roof shop in Clonsilla and the old Garda station.

It's insane how quickly Blanch has evolved and I hope it continues. I don't ever want to move too far from home tbh. :)

• Advertisement

You should see what parts are Clonsilla, the land parcels are far from regular shaped.

Nolimits wrote: »
    Born and reared in Blanchardstown, my dad (mid sixties) was also born in Blanchardstown, (near the shanty) as was his mother. That's as far back as we know for sure, but my dad thinks one of his Grandparents (cant remember which one) was also from Blanch.

Try the 1901 1911 census for the family name,we did and found out my wifes family name is in it and the address in Clonsilla.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

ah just another blow in from the south side. but im here years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

A V A wrote: »
    cant remember what the name of the shop was were near buy is now, on the closilla road opposite the credit union ,

Brophys :)

I think I spent all of my pocket money in Brophys when I was a kid.
    The 10p Lucky Bags were brilliant !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Blanch Lad through and through
    Lived there from 1971 (Coolmine Close) until I moved to Bray 6 years ago
    Went to Xaviers and Coolmine
    I remember Bowlers field and the big house they had, all gone now
    Remember when Eddie Nuzum was in the fields before the Centra and Off Licence on the Clonsilla Rd
    Remember before Eddie Nuzum when it was called the Tinkers Field
    Remember Malones shop/coal dealers beside the railway line that you could get about 1000 1/2 penny sweets for 50p
    Remember when the 39b was the express bus to the city centre
    and so on

R

BlanchLibrary posted this at the beginning of August (hope he/she doesn't mind me re-posting it here.) I thought it might be worth another mention as we all seem to be enjoying a trip down memory lane !

Old Photographs of the Dublin 15 area : a Talk by Jim Lacey Wednesday 25th August at 7pm:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

not from this side, im from the Whest!! but travelled diff countries and been living in Clonsilla nearly 7 years,,

Just want to say love reading about how Bllanch area past - present :D

thanks LadyW will deff look at the old pics

It feels like the closing down of the greyhound has knocked the soul out of blanch, the village doesn't feel the same without it!

I remember doyles well! (opposite sams) the old lady in there was the nicest. I remember when mace was called today tonight! I don't remember what it was before then! I think the property place next door was always there!

With regards to buses (remember the big green ones!) the 39b was the best as it skipped
    and flew
    passed the esso garage on the navan road. I used to hate the 39A as it didn't go my way and the 39 always took forever to get back to blakestown. I
    always remembered them always changing the 39
    route. One day you'd be standing on one side of the
    road going to town, the next week you'd be on the
    other!

Remember when people in corduff had the 38C a bus route as good as the 39! It just disappeared one day! The 38a went to ladyswell and the 70 went through mulhuddart village and the nipper that was the 220!

• Advertisement

Does anyone remember the snow we got in "I think it was"81 Cars,Buses,Trucks abandoned everywhere,roads like ice rings.
    The drifts that big we could jump out my mothers bedroom window(ok so not that big).
    My brother in law lived in Godamendy and we walked up to his house a couple of days later and was that snow deep but it was great fun.

Advertisement