Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Group Training Sessions - Where & When

• 29-12-2008 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Hi all,

I think there was a thread for this somewhere before but can't seem to find it.

If anyone is up for meeting up for some sessions in the park would be handy to post here.

Looking to get a Fartlek session going or what ever session people like. Fartlek would be hany as you can mix up distance etc to include all levels.

I'm usually in Pheonix park on a Sat and Sunday morning depending on races ets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I was thinking the same thing myself last night but I was thinking in respect of BAC. I think a meet and train kind of thing in the phoenix park or maybe even some hilly run in Wicklow once every 2 to 4 weeks would be a great team bonding exercise and give the club a bit more of an intimate feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

I would be well on for that especially the Phoenix park as sometimes access to a car can be an issue and I can cycle to there.

First of all I have got to get this leg of mine sorted, stiff as a board today. :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Woddle wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing myself last night but I was thinking in respect of BAC. I think a meet and train kind of thing in the phoenix park or maybe even some hilly run in Wicklow once every 2 to 4 weeks would be a great team bonding exercise and give the club a bit more of an intimate feel.

Yep was thinking to post it as a BAC session but would like to have it open to everyone also , No harm in having more people at the session / Sessions. Maybe in the Summer / Late Spring we can get a track session goiing somewhere but that would depend on numbers etc.

Hey Shels I would be on for a track session once a week now if your into it. We could arrange an evening during the week or a Sat morning but racing might interfere and I would like to organise something that would never change and be a regular thing. What you think

For me at the moment I would find it hard to fit it into my program in the next 4 months. Unless a Tuesday morning / Early afternoon session of 800-1200 is of use to you.

I've changed the way I work so I can train on mondays and Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

is it ok to tag along for those not involved with the club? I would be interested so i can get some consistency into my running sessions! I currently cycle every Saturday morning so i cant make that but any other time is fine.

No worries Shels, Tuesdays would nearly suit as I'm free from 9:15 till 11:30 but thats based on being around Rathfarnham, and I don't think that would suit you coming all the way over from Raheny area but if you have a change of plan even on the spur of the moment let me know.

Bambaata wrote: »
    is it ok to tag along for those not involved with the club? I would be interested so i can get some consistency into my running sessions! I currently cycle every Saturday morning so i cant make that but any other time is fine.

I wouldn't see a problem with that at all, the more the merrier :D, all we need is a bit more interest and Shels to pick a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Plan on doing the Cork Marathon in June so sorting out my training plan at present and i will be doing me speed sessions so let me know when a decision is made.

On a related theme, if anyone would be round for doing long runs on a Sunday in the Park from mid February on, twould be great to have someone to run with. Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd be up for it. I'm usually in the park on Saturdays and/or Sundays except when I'm at Leeds matches. Be good to get some sessions together with others, I've always trained on my own mind so dunno how I'd like running with others. :D

chinguetti - theres a few of us training for Connemarama, Edinburgh and Cork(Edinburgh is on the day before Cork) so I'm sure there'll be some looking to do long runs in/from February. My last Connermara long run will be the last weekend of February have it in my diary for Sunday the 29th as I'm in Leeds on the Saturday, but the training plan I'm using as my guide for between Connemara and Edinburgh has two 20 milers in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

Shall we just pick a Saturday morning in early-January and get out for a long run around the park?

How about Saturday 10th? We could meet early and head out for whatever people want to do...personally I'd be only up for 10 or so miles (at most) at that stage.

Peckham wrote: »
    Shall we just pick a Saturday morning in early-January and get out for a long run around the park?

How about Saturday 10th? We could meet early and head out for whatever people want to do...personally I'd be only up for 10 or so miles (at most) at that stage.

Noooooo I'll be in Leeds. :P

Sounds like a good idea, But I'll prob run in the park on Sundays in Jan as there are a few races on the 10th 17th. Long runs will kick in for me First week in Feb.

I'm with you we should just pick a day and who ever turns up, turns up. The only thing about Saturdays is the Bhaa races. Would Sundays be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Woddle wrote: »
    I'm with you we should just pick a day and who ever turns up, turns up. The only thing about Saturdays is the Bhaa races. Would Sundays be possible.

I think just say its starting on a particular Saturday or Sunday in Feb (you could do both days if people can attend) and take it from there. Everyone would be in different parts of their training plans for whichever event they are doing but it might be good and would be a bit of a change from an Ipod. Always train on my own and would be good to know if i'm on the right track.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sounds like a lot of fun, but I'm too slow and not fit enough to train with pretty much anyone else on here!

Sounds like a lot of fun, but I'm too slow and not fit enough to train with pretty much anyone else on here!

I wouldnt say that now , you can make some good session with a mix of people.

Don't be silly, everyone is going to be used to training at a different pace to everyone else. Thing about training with others is you'll push yourself to run that little bit faster so you'll be able to keep up, you'd probably find that in no time, you'd be keeping up with little effort.

There would probably be some people who'd zoom ahead and a few who stay behind.

Anyone in the park tomorow morning i'll be doing an easy 10 mile at 10 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Sounds tempting Shels but I have a few crappy exams next week that I should devote some attention to.

Away for a few weeks next week - I'm back and ready for action on Jan 31st, so will be up for any Park sessions then. Can't let you guys get too far ahead of me :)

• Advertisement

If anyone is up for a run on sunday I'll be doing a very easy run from Pheonix park maybe 5-6 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey shels
    I am unavailable this sunday however i would be interested in doin the odd run in the future. Mail me if you would be interested

Will be in Pheonix park this Sunday at 10 am . If anyone wants to join me. Will be an easy run . I'll be doing about 8 miles but will make it a 4 mile loops on grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

shels4ever wrote: »
    Will be in Pheonix park this Sunday at 10 am . If anyone wants to join me. Will be an easy run . I'll be doing about 8 miles but will make it a 4 mile loops on grass.
    As planned I will be there if the week goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

anyone fancy session thur?

what kinda session you got in mind? we talking am or pm? just i working from 3

ecoli wrote: »
    what kinda session you got in mind? we talking am or pm? just i working from 3

I'll be doing a about 8 miles but can split it up into a lap or two depending on who wants to come. Was thinking 10am.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Can't do Sunday this week myself, but might be tempted along some other time for a change of scenery for a plod around.

Shels sounds good count me in nice to get out of my local park every once in a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

anyone fancy session thur?

i might be interested....go on...

Advertisement