Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much water do you drink?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The thing is that thirst can come on gradually, and can give off different signs. Every person may feel it differently. It's not an exact science. Drink when thirsty, or failing this, drink over the course of the whole day in relatively equal amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

I tend to drink about 2l a day as drink. Food contributes a bit too.

I keep an eye on urine colour. Brown need more, clear need less, light straw colour just right.

Believe it is very personal, sweat rates, level exercise, etc.

Some marathon winners were found to be quite dehydrated, so it may not affect there performance too much. But for some of us could be big thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I often see people swigging on 750ml bottles of water around the clock, can't say I see the point of it. Another poster earlier mentioned going to the toilet every 15 minutes all day. To me, that's just putting undue pressure on the liver and kidneys.

Personally, when training, I would always go by the 100ml per mile rule, so if I have run 10 miles, I know I'll need to drink about 1 litre do rehydrate after the run. If the weather is especially hot and its a faster run, then I might need 120-150ml of water per mile to rehydrate. I have found after marathons, I'm about 3 litres dehydrated. I don't drink anything in races of less than marathon distance, and in a marathon distance race, I might consume about 300ml possibly.

In the morning times, assuming I was not in a dehydrated state heading for bed, I find that about 200-300 ml of fluid is sufficient, maybe another 500ml over the course of the day, via tea or water or whatever, then the replacement of lost fluid comes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

kal7 wrote: »

Some marathon winners were found to be quite dehydrated, so it may not affect there performance too much. But for some of us could be big thing.

But wouldn't their goal be to take on as little weight as possible whilst remaining somewhat healthy/hydrated? They are in a serious race situation, so they want to be barely hydrated in the sense of minimum weight added to them, as well as not having to take toilet breaks which could lose them a race. Many other 'marathon' runners who aren't elite or too serious will drink more.

Maybe some seasoned marathon runners could explain their goal/strategy as regards intake of fluids in a marathon race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

This is the extreme. Remember these people were stopping themselves from relieving themselves.

http://www.undergroundhealth.com/why-drinking-too-much-water-can-be-harmful-to-your-health/

I just judge the colour of my pee. Rarely drink on the run, even on very long runs, unless the weather is very warm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

If your pee is completely clear like water does that mean you're drinking too much water?

Ososlo wrote: »
    If your pee is completely clear like water does that mean you're drinking too much water?
    Just means your hydrated. Clear or straw colour is good but a dark yellow is not too good, but, its only a rule-of-thumb. Some foods like beetroot can change the colour.

My daily intake is whatever water is contained in sandwiches, crisps and cans of club orange!

On the day before a run I will hydrate a lot. Then have a litre about 90 mins before I start. On a normal day that will enable me do about 30km on 750ml of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

On training days I usually run around 6 or 7pm, so I'll have about 3 litres throughout the day and 2L after to re-hydrate.

For races in the morning I'll have a couple of litres the previous evening then 1.5-2L in the couple of hours prior to race, then another 2-3L throughout remainder of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

I actually went for 26 miles last Saturday but it was sunnier than I thought!

I ran out of water at mile 18. I only brought 0.7 litre with me.

I had to stop at mile 20 and run / walk the last 6. Not great fun but a valuable experience.

Will bring my backpack next time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

echancrure wrote: »
    I actually went for 26 miles last Saturday but it was sunnier than I thought!

I ran out of water at mile 18. I only brought 0.7 litre with me.

I had to stop at mile 20 and run / walk the last 6. Not great fun but a valuable experience.

Will bring my backpack next time...
    On long runs on hot days, I run past public drinking taps for refills.

(Not that I ever get in enough long runs...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

2l over the course of the day is about right for me. Feel so much better if I sip away during the day.

Find I get far less shin splint type senastions in my legs during sport too.

Definitey wouldnt agree on the only drink when you are thirsty as I feel you should never feel overly thirsty if you are sipping away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

2l over the course of the day is about right for me. Feel so much better if I sip away during the day.

Find I get far less shin splint type senastions in my legs during sport too.

Definitey wouldnt agree on the only drink when you are thirsty as I feel you should never feel overly thirsty if you are sipping away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm thirsty a lot, I probably drink 2 or 3 liters a day regardless of whether I run or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

If you eat enough of Fruit and Vegetables then there is really no need to be slugging down 2-3 Liters of water a day.

I'm thirsty a lot, I probably drink 2 or 3 liters a day regardless of whether I run or not.
    Have you been tested for diabetes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

If it's possible try and make sure you run past a graveyard on a long run. Always taps there....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Have you been tested for diabetes?

Nah I've never really been a hypochondriac. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

If it's possible try and make sure you run past a graveyard on a long run. Always taps there....

Great tip Barry, I'd never thought of that before. You wouldn't mind I actually usually leave my water at a stop quite near the graveyard too :)

On a typical day I'd easily drink 2 litres. Plus about 5 cups of tea and maybe a coffee or two instead of tea. It's more of a lifetime habit at this stage.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    On long runs on hot days, I run past public drinking taps for refills.

(Not that I ever get in enough long runs...)

Yeah I should probably have done that: I did pass a hotel and a garden centre.

• Advertisement

Great tip!!
    :)

Advertisement