Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Entry fitness test?

• 15-03-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Just something I'm wondering out of extreme curiousity...

I know all the fitness tests you have to do to before joining are pass or fail, but would they be more likely to pick someone who does the 1.5 miles in say 9 minutes or less and does 50 push-ups and sit-ups in the 1 minute than say someone who's barely passing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Its pass or fail, I dont even think they take down your timings. As for the push-ups/sit-ups they tell you not to bother doing over 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Amazing to think when they are in a position to be incredibly picky, they still only have a very very basic pass / fail fitness test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

RMD wrote: »
    Amazing to think when they are in a position to be incredibly picky, they still only have a very very basic pass / fail fitness test.

You'd be surprised how many potential new entrants that culls. The average teenager has an abysmal level of fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

You'd be surprised how many potential new entrants that culls. The average teenager has an abysmal level of fitness.

If someone can't reach such a basic level of fitness it shows their level of determination to achieve their desires. Pathetic to fail at such an easy level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

The Air Corps test is pass or fail, but they do record your times, etc, which are kept in your file as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

RMD wrote: »
    If someone can't reach such a basic level of fitness it shows their level of determination to achieve their desires. Pathetic to fail at such an easy level.

True.

They take everything into account when going through the application process. I'd say the biggest part of that process is the interviews as they get a proper understanding of a person's motivations and attitudes in applying for the DF.

The fitness test just gets the time wasters out of the way early I assume!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

True.

They take everything into account when going through the application process. I'd say the biggest part of that process is the interviews as they get a proper understanding of a person's motivations and attitudes in applying for the DF.

The fitness test just gets the time wasters out of the way early I assume!
    I definitely agree although I think the DF could be more strict on the fitness tests, for limited places it is definitely too easy imo

Advertisement