Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cant get some channels on Sky

• 16-01-2005 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I wonder if anyone has seen this before. I dont know a whole lot about SKY and viewers/ftv, etc..

My family home has a Grundig decoder, I'd say about 4-5 years old, coupled with an old type grey satellite dish.

We cannot view certain channels on the box, e.g Kerrang, the music channel, ch 601, the bottom box appears with the program info but we cant view it, just a blue screen.

We called Sky, first person got us to disconnect all cabling and leave box off for 30 seconds (probably to clear any static electricity. Didnt help. Second person got us to go into system setup, 01, and do a full installation again. This didnt help either. Second person said they would re-transmit an update to our box within the next few hours. Didnt help either.

Any ideas? Grundgu box in the signal test says
    Signal strength (no bar. i.e. nothing)
    Signal Quality 3/4 about 75%

I dont know if the old grundigs actually display Signal Strength? SKy channels are perfect reception quality. Do we recieve from more than one satellite or just one? Only way i can see this happened. I would expect that if we had poor signal strength, then all channels would be bad.

Sky said to call someone out to the house. I would perfer to save 150 euro being honest. I dont want parent to go to that expense if possible.

Any ideas genuinely welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.
    J,.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Ba$tard wrote:

Sky said to call someone out to the house. I would perfer to save 150 euro being honest. I dont want parent to go to that expense if possible.

J,.

I'm sure you can get an independent installer to call out much cheaper than that. Having said that if the box is faulty its expensive to replace.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

A friend of mine had the same problem for ages , had a 80 % signal quality and was losing some channels . The music channels were the first to go . An independant installer came round and did 2 things . He took away the digigbox to test it on his own system , which was fine , then he replaced the lnb which was faulty . Heres my advice ..

Check all the cables to make sure none of them are loose or damaged
    Check your digibox at a mates house to see if its alright
    Change your lnb as odds are its probably faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭john_graydon

Ba$tard wrote:
    Hey lads,

I wonder if anyone has seen this before. I dont know a whole lot about SKY and viewers/ftv, etc..

My family home has a Grundig decoder, I'd say about 4-5 years old, coupled with an old type grey satellite dish.

We cannot view certain channels on the box, e.g Kerrang, the music channel, ch 601, the bottom box appears with the program info but we cant view it, just a blue screen.

We called Sky, first person got us to disconnect all cabling and leave box off for 30 seconds (probably to clear any static electricity. Didnt help. Second person got us to go into system setup, 01, and do a full installation again. This didnt help either. Second person said they would re-transmit an update to our box within the next few hours. Didnt help either.

Any ideas? Grundgu box in the signal test says
    Signal strength (no bar. i.e. nothing)
    Signal Quality 3/4 about 75%

I dont know if the old grundigs actually display Signal Strength? SKy channels are perfect reception quality. Do we recieve from more than one satellite or just one? Only way i can see this happened. I would expect that if we had poor signal strength, then all channels would be bad.

Any ideas genuinely welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.
    J,.

Your lnb is probally on its way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Thanks guys for all the replies.

I will bring the box and card over to my own house (which has a minidish (about 3 years old) and see what happens.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Man eating cow

the same think is happening to us. but it is with E4 that we have the problem. i can watch E4 +1 no hassle. but when i turn over to E4, a message appears sasying no signal being received....
    So annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

i get this too with e4,bbc one and two and all the irish ones,challenge +1 and a couple of the music ones....
    only happens when its cloudy tho,v.annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Odd i tried my bros panasonic box in my house before and got that rang sky , told me how much it would cost. Put back in my Grundig one and left panasonic one. Get everything on the Grundig but only half on the other one.

never knew what caused it tried everything.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Missing channels are most likely caused by one of two things

1) Dish out of alignment (perhaps knocked off the satellite in a storm) If you have some channels coming in intermittantly its probably the dish is off beam (or maybe the cable going up to it is damaged ?)

2) Defective LNB if all the missing channels have a common polarity or frequency range (high band or low band) then its probably your LNB

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

KdjaC wrote:
    Odd i tried my bros panasonic box in my house before and got that rang sky , told me how much it would cost. Put back in my Grundig one and left panasonic one. Get everything on the Grundig but only half on the other one.

never knew what caused it tried everything.

kdjac
    Did you try changing the LNB? I remember there being issues with Panasonic boxes and a certain type of LNB, I think it was the Grunding ones, maybe Tony can clarify.

Also, poor cable jointing is a cause for channels to go, and worth checking if any joints are used. Only F connectors and F "back to backs" should be used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Same LNB being used but depending on which box determines how many stations i get, Grundig one gets them all btu Panasonic gets onyl a few and had my card switched over and then back.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, I'm nearly sure it's the LNB the problem is with. Certain LNBs didnt take kindly to the 22kHz tone from Panasonic boxes for some reason. If 22kHz tone doesn't work, then the LNB doesn't switch between High and Low transponders.

Otherwise, although less likely, maybe your signal is too low for the Pannie tuner to read certain transponders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

byte wrote:
    Did you try changing the LNB? I remember there being issues with Panasonic boxes and a certain type of LNB, I think it was the Grunding ones, maybe Tony can clarify.

Yes i remember this took me ages to figure it out, affected 2d freqs

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement