Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Galway closing at 1am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

I heard from a number of people that attempts were made to try and get Supermacs to close early also. Could just be one of those rumours that springs up but wouldn't be too far fetched considering the pubs and clubs being closed.

And you are right, we were thrown out of Supermacs at 3 last night, cops were in there, and they had come around and said "were closing in ten minutes, sorry".

I work in the industry aswel, and if this becomes the trend it wont be long before shifts get shortened and all of a sudden there are not enough hours to work etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

extraice wrote: »
    was in the ......... it know as late night bar ...... cop came and closed it down ..... , so we moved ( off two late night pub ) ... 1 am cop again , got shut down .... again ( off two outher pub ..... ) that got closed by the cops ....
    i thought galway had late night pub ...... latin area of town ....

whats going on ? and why cop shutting down pub at ....

thought was 2 am ..... i am not payying to go two club 15 - 10 euros

i love when folks speak of the Latin area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I think we have a little Hitler on our hands, maybe if the cops started doing something about real crime instead of picking on easy targets and decent people who want to have a good night out.

I think we have a little Hitler on our hands, maybe if the cops started doing something about real crime instead of picking on easy targets and decent people who want to have a good night out.

the cops are there to enforce the law. if late night drinking breaks the law its job to combat it.
    lobby inda kenny if you want change, but you will find the powerful joe duffy lobby against you.
    personally i find a night out expensive . much cheaper to have a house party.

Cygnus wrote: »
    I hate when the Gardaí are referred to as "cops".

aye, 'shades' or 'pigs' sound much better.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Drink does terrible things to a person. Remember that kids.

you sound like ryan tubridy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If the Guards are closing them at 1, then they are being leniant and letting them open past 11.30 without a licence.

Currently a Special exemption order costs €410 it allows a bar to serve the following hours:

Monday - Thursday: 2.30 (Normally 11.30)
    Friday/Saturday: 2.30 (Normally 12.30)
    Sunday: 1.00 (Normally 11.00, except bank holidays, they can then serve until 2.30 rather than the normal 12.30)

No licence currently exists for bars to close at 1.00 or 1.30 or any other time.

This is all covered in Section 5 of The Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003, its nationwide, not one rule for one city and different for another

Link

Its not the Guards being assholes, its pubs not applying for their Special Exemption Order, simples

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

I think that extending hours could be a positive change for the benefit of Irish society in the long run.

1. Discourage people to drink fast and get in to a pub/club for the 'last hour or two'

2. Less people leaving the premises at the same time which should reduce fighting and other forms of group anti social behaviour.

I know our way of drinking is different to many other countries, but this model appears to work for them. No harm to give it a go based on that imo.

As do I, the current licencing system is a joke and needs to be reformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    I think that extending hours could be a positive change for the benefit of Irish society in the long run.

1. Discourage people to drink fast and get in to a pub/club for the 'last hour or two'

2. Less people leaving the premises at the same time which should reduce fighting and other forms of group anti social behaviour.

I know our way of drinking is different to many other countries, but this model appears to work for them. No harm to give it a go based on that imo.

I thought they tried that in the UK and people ended up still leaving around 3-4am, so the crowds were all out on the street at once, just later at night.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

mmcn90 wrote: »
    If the Guards are closing them at 1, then they are being leniant and letting them open past 11.30 without a licence.

Currently a Special exemption order costs €410 it allows a bar to serve the following hours:

Monday - Thursday: 2.30 (Normally 11.30)
    Friday/Saturday: 2.30 (Normally 12.30)
    Sunday: 1.00 (Normally 11.00, except bank holidays, they can then serve until 2.30 rather than the normal 12.30)

No licence currently exists for bars to close at 1.00 or 1.30 or any other time.

This is all covered in Section 5 of The Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003, its nationwide, not one rule for one city and different for another

Link

Its not the Guards being assholes, its pubs not applying for their Special Exemption Order, simples

That's the thing, I've talked to the GM's of a few places and al of them were able to show me receipts for payment of late licences.

The problem seems to be this

"(5) A special exemption order shall expire—

(a) in case it extends to any Monday that is not a public holiday, at 1.00 a.m., or

(b) in any other case, at 2.30 a.m.,

unless the Court, for stated reasons, considers it expedient to grant the order for a shorter period."

The bit in bold.

Galway District has set the exemption to expire at 1am, have done for years, but it was never enforced.

New dickhead is just being a hero.

Seaneh wrote: »
    That's the thing, I've talked to the GM's of a few places and al of them were able to show me receipts for payment of late licences.

The problem seems to be this

"(5) A special exemption order shall expire—

(a) in case it extends to any Monday that is not a public holiday, at 1.00 a.m., or

(b) in any other case, at 2.30 a.m.,

unless the Court, for stated reasons, considers it expedient to grant the order for a shorter period."

The bit in bold.

Galway District has set the exemption to expire at 1am, have done for years, but it was never enforced.

New dickhead is just being a hero.

I missed that bit. I've never heard of a district court setting a blanket ruling for a city though. I'm not denying it, I've just never heard it. It's time for a complete reform of the licensing system, the idea that a bar has to go to court every month to stay open late is ridiculous.

In the uk, bars are scared of a charge of up to £4,600 for the year to stay open late. Here its €410 per night!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ciano1

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    And you are right, we were thrown out of Supermacs at 3 last night, cops were in there, and they had come around and said "were closing in ten minutes, sorry".

I work in the industry aswel, and if this becomes the trend it wont be long before shifts get shortened and all of a sudden there are not enough hours to work etc etc

Really!? Why? Surely they don't need the exemption order to sell chips! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭keano89

I'd have no sympathy for any pub that charges over 4.40 for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I thought they tried that in the UK and people ended up still leaving around 3-4am, so the crowds were all out on the street at once, just later at night.

3-4? Sure I've been in Coppers many times as late as 4! I mean later like 6am. Was in a place years ago in Belgium until 8.30 place had well emptied by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Is this just happening in the city centre?

nowhere outside the centre opens late anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    3-4? Sure I've been in Coppers many times as late as 4! I mean later like 6am. Was in a place years ago in Belgium until 8.30 place had well emptied by then!

People were free to stay later. Most of the crowd just don't. I'd get bored after an hour in a nightclub anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

nowhere outside the centre opens late anyway...

Not true.
    Not saying any more, for obvious reasons :-)

inbox me.
    Unless you mean the place in moycullen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

inbox me.
    Unless you mean the place in moycullen?
    No thats the Auctioneer's office

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

What an excellent way to encourage binge drinking lol.... well done the super lol

keano89 wrote: »
    I'd have no sympathy for any pub that charges over 4.40 for a pint.

go to Dublin and pay 6. publicans are greedy hoors.

pubs are losing their relevance. at home I can smoke , choose my own music.get six cans for the price of two pints (that will change, you cannot have people getting cheap booze)and invite in however I want even people wearing trainers.

do pubs in Galway still do lock ins and the secret knock after closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Fuinseog wrote: »
    do pubs in Galway still do lock ins and the secret knock after closing?
    yes. the lock ins are in Mill Street and the secret knocks are the luv making in de cells.

it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Its only going to drive up house parties, meaning Gardai are diverted away from the city centre, meaning less Gardai to cover anti-social behaviour outside pubs etc.

Who stands to benefit in this ruling?

The pubs? No
    Anyone going out? No
    The people depending on these jobs and business from local people and tourists? No

Either, its some ploy to lower anti-social behaviour, which I doubt because if anything it would be to coincide with students going back, or its simple money grabbing after all the festivals are over. Either way, it'll hurt the Galway economy and it's image.

In Dublin in the rare ould times if guard came into a pub where a politician would be drinking after hours he would be asked if he wanted a pint or a posting.
    I wonder what Fidelma would say if she was caught in a pub after hours?

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Its only going to drive up house parties, meaning Gardai are diverted away from the city centre, meaning less Gardai to cover anti-social behaviour outside pubs etc.

Who stands to benefit in this ruling?

The pubs? No
    Anyone going out? No
    The people depending on these jobs and business from local people and tourists? No

Either, its some ploy to lower anti-social behaviour, which I doubt because if anything it would be to coincide with students going back, or its simple money grabbing after all the festivals are over. Either way, it'll hurt the Galway economy and it's image.

Gardai in the suburbs. you cant have that. what would the scumbags do about break ins?

if pubs want customers then they have to start giving them something back. distribute a few cocktail sausages to show appreciation or something.

BTW do you guys thinks its worth forking out ten euro plus to go a late night bar such as the quays. there may be a band on but they make a fortune from the booze. do the super pubs still bring up the price after a certain hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

foxy_19-89 wrote: »

I find this bit disturbing.

I've no problem with the guards enforcing the law. (I don't love the idea of pubs closing earlier obviously, but bottom line, the law is the law.) But AFAIK there are no laws about when businesses like Supermacs may open, besides their planning permissions - which aren't the guards business to enforce.

I'm quietly trusting that the bosses of Supermacs and the larger pubs are dealing with this problem at the properly levels. Seems to me that policing must be a lot more effective if the guards are working in conjunction with community/business leaders, rather than p***ing them all off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Got kicked out of the bentley at around 1am last night :( No gardai though. This is totally counter productive imo. What problems are the gardai aiming to solve by enforcing Ireland's archaic alcohol licensing laws? Which by the way are totally ridiculous and need to be completely over hauled but that's for another thread. If this nonsense continues late bars and clubs will shut down, Galway's nightlife will be destroyed and a lot of people will lose their jobs. I really can't see what this new superintedant is hoping to achieve here. Has any decent late bar or club paid for a late license?

Advertisement